[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Van Hoople paintings
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Van Hoople paintings
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-29 6:57 pm   Permalink

After many hours of probing the internet for info, I turn here to the Gurus of TC for help. This morning I bought a signed Van Hoople painting at a yard sale for $5.00. I think it's more than just interesting; I like it! But I've found VERY little about the artist. Here's the best bio I've found so far (quoted from an auction site - http://proxibid.com/asp/catalogprint.asp?aid=2853 ):

"California artist, Van Hoople, born Chicago,Il. 1934. Hired by Paramount Studios in Hollywood. Apprenticed for Cecil B. DeMilles scenic art director, P T Blackburn. Has been under exclusive contract with Hillside Galleries since 1957."

Does anyone know anything more? Is this artist still "with us"? Did he do anything beside paintings? I'd LOVE to see photos of other works of his you may have! Here's mine:

detail:

signature:

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2006-04-29 18:58 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 1:34 pm   Permalink

Here u go,

I believe mine is from the same gallery and with the same frame type as yours Silverline. I think that Van Hoople would sometimes do many similar pieces as I have seen one other painting quite similar to mine. It appears these were sort of an edition as a number is sometimes impressed into the paint. Mine has a 97 pressed into the impasto, the similar pic. i saw was 95 I believe.

Come on peeps let's see more, BTW Silverline, your piece is waaay cool!

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-30 13:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-30 13:40 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 6:02 pm   Permalink

Well, I just spent more than a few minutes searching for a number of some kind on mine with no luck. The mysteries build! Yours is way cool, too Sneakytiki! Kinda looks like the sort of scene my late Grandfather painted on occasion. Maybe that's why I like this artist.

Here are a couple others I found at other traditional auction sites (one very similar to yours). BTW, these don't seem to go for a lot of money. I guess the style isn't popular (yet) and/or the supply far outstrips demand.

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 7:50 pm   Permalink

Silverline, I tried to post pictures from those auction sites earlier but could only find small thumbnails. I have seen them sell for 100 dollars or so.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 8:45 pm   Permalink

There's one up for auction on eBay right now! Starting bid is $149. We'll see if they get it.

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-05 08:45 am   Permalink

They didn't get it....

I bought my painting for 30 clams and that's probably about what it's worth. I bought it to hang in my atomic ranch, not to sell, so no worries. The idea of making a series of very similar paintings seemed cheesy to me at first but hey, printmakers do it all the time and I have no problem with those so I guess I should appreciate the novelty.

Silverline, your painting appears to be on a wood panel? or is that painted to look like wood? Either way, it looks like you have more of a one off then the super thick paste covered boards with impasto paint type that I have.

The info on the back of my painting was the same as the artists background you mentioned. Looks like a mass producing painter for the middle class, so I dunno that this will ever be considered valuable due to art world politics.

Thx for posting this topic
ST

Strauth

Posted: 2006-05-16 09:27 am   Permalink

As far as supply far outweighing demand, I love this artist and would love to purchase some of his paintings. Help!

View Profile of Strauth Send a personal message to Strauth      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billybeyond

Posted: 2006-06-24 9:17 pm   Permalink

How can I post pictures of my Van Hoople Paintings?

Billy Beyond

View Profile of Billybeyond Send a personal message to Billybeyond  Email Billybeyond Goto the website of Billybeyond     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-26 09:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-24 21:17, Billybeyond wrote:
How can I post pictures of my Van Hoople Paintings?

Billy Beyond

Billy, on the right side of the top of the screen, click on "Help/FAQ", then click on "Uploading & Embedding Images", this will show you step by step instructions on how to post pictures.

I love these Von Hoople paintings. They're so hip in a nostalgic kind of way.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billybeyond

Posted: 2008-03-08 03:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-01 20:45, SilverLine wrote:
There's one up for auction on eBay right now! Starting bid is $149. We'll see if they get it.

View Profile of Billybeyond Send a personal message to Billybeyond  Email Billybeyond Goto the website of Billybeyond     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-02 7:28 pm   Permalink

Here's mine...

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sugarpants

Posted: 2009-02-05 10:27 am   Permalink

I am looking to buy Van Hooples! Not because they have any dollar value so to speak, but for sentimental reasons. My grandfather gave me one he bought a long time about from Mr. Van Hoople. Recently my grandfather passed away and I would like to honor his memory by collecting more of these paintings. Please let me know if ANYONE is interested in selling. Thanks!

View Profile of sugarpants Send a personal message to sugarpants      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marquisdupre

Posted: 2009-08-02 3:46 pm   Permalink

Here is a large painting I recently found at a local thrift store, I am unsure if it is a Van Hoople, I can't see the signature anywhere but it's an original painting and the back has a sticker and note on it. Anyone know if this is truly a Van Hoople?

View Profile of Marquisdupre Send a personal message to Marquisdupre  Goto the website of Marquisdupre     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shwnbrwr

Posted: 2009-09-10 3:24 pm   Permalink

I would like to sell my Van Hoople painting below. Please give me a shout if you are interested!

View Profile of shwnbrwr Send a personal message to shwnbrwr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
iviary

Posted: 2010-02-26 12:50 am   Permalink

Here's my Van Hoople. I recently inherited it from my grandparents. In my lifetime, it always hung over the couch in their living room, but used to hang in my grandfather's office when he was president of a bank. It used to have a little brass plaque attached to the frame with some sort of title or something. I'm not sure when it fell off. You can see the residue of the glue. I'm surprised by how different this piece seems from the others posted here. I certainly love it for sentimental reasons, but I've always loved it for aesthetic reasons too!

View Profile of iviary Send a personal message to iviary      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation