FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Beyond Tiki ╗ ╗ Van Hoople paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Van Hoople paintings
amymulvihillforster@gmail.com

Posted: 2010-06-14 10:29 am   Permalink

I recently came across a Van hoople painting. I personally am not a huge fan of his work. it is just not my style. I think he was very talented it just not for me. So I am looking to sell my painting. If anyone is interested please email me and let me know. You can email me at amymulvihillforster@gmail.com

I have more pics too.

View Profile of amymulvihillforster@gmail.com Send a personal message to amymulvihillforster@gmail.com      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-14 10:50 am   Permalink

Some of this paintings look like Witco's Conquistador style to me. Is there a connection?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 11:05 am   Permalink

I'd guess the connection was just that the Conquistador style was very popular at the time (even the frame of the above piece shows it) and Van Hoople's work seems to be largely decorative and as such was completely contemporary to his times. I think the crude quality of the painting above is typical of some Conquistador decorative work (like Witco) which weren't meant to be regarded as crude but rustic or primitive.

I hadn't seen the Van thread til now. Interesting work and some great finds.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiestokes27

Posted: 2010-11-09 09:35 am   Permalink

My Van Hoople Wish I knew how much its worth? comments welcome

View Profile of christiestokes27 Send a personal message to christiestokes27  Email christiestokes27     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
after_waiting

Posted: 2011-01-22 8:19 pm   Permalink

My Van Hoople. I am looking for a certain one. It is similar to mine but more blue-ish purple in color and more suns or something in the sky. It is also shorter and wider. I have heard that he would make multiples of a painting, some sort of series? I have seen pictures of paintings that look like mine on the internet, but nothing like the one I am looking for...

View Profile of after_waiting Send a personal message to after_waiting  Email after_waiting     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
after_waiting

Posted: 2011-01-22 8:38 pm   Permalink

I really like the paint on the frame, it gives it character.

View Profile of after_waiting Send a personal message to after_waiting  Email after_waiting     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bayoubabybeaux

Posted: 2011-02-26 5:27 pm   Permalink

I have a oriental Van Hoople painting for sale. I"ll add pictures in march. this is one buitiful piece of art.

[ This Message was edited by: bayoubabybeaux 2011-02-26 17:32 ]

View Profile of bayoubabybeaux Send a personal message to bayoubabybeaux  Email bayoubabybeaux     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpc1701

Posted: 2011-05-08 7:49 pm   Permalink

This is my Van Hoople I purchased from someone on Ebay a few years ago. It's painted on Board. I think it's a beautiful piece. I'm not sure what type of wood it's painted on, but it almost looks like Teak.

I just recently purchased another Van Hoople Painting from a seller on Ebay. A very unusual piece. This particular one is also painted on Board. It appears to be painted on Masonite.

[ This Message was edited by: jpc1701 2012-02-11 13:07 ]

View Profile of jpc1701 Send a personal message to jpc1701      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbansavage

Posted: 2011-08-08 7:12 pm   Permalink

Hooray! I figured this might be the best place to find other Van Hoople enthusiasts. I scored my first VH this summer. It's an unusual work, a portrait, possibly unfinished:

View Profile of suburbansavage Send a personal message to suburbansavage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
firebuild

Posted: 2011-08-31 10:15 pm   Permalink

I just bought 2 Van Hooples at Goodwill. They're pretty different than what I've seen here, though. Both feature birds in and on cages. Here are some bad cell phone shots of them.

I bought these to sell, so if they strike your fancy let me know. They each measure about 46 by 17 inches. The images are painted on some sort of fabric; it might be silk but I'm not sure. The frames are ornate and have a bold pink sort of undertone.

View Profile of firebuild Send a personal message to firebuild      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetartphoto

Posted: 2011-12-29 7:07 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone, thanks so much for posting your Van Hoople artwork. It is so awesome. Several years ago I purchased a painting at a flea market. I loved the use of the heavy impasto and the vivid colors. I have been researching my painting. I unfortunately can't tell if my painting is by him or not. The style, colors, perspective and frame match some of his other works however his signature is different on mine. Take a look, and if anyone can give me some insight I would be grateful. Thanks so much! Happy Art Hunting

View Profile of sweetartphoto Send a personal message to sweetartphoto  Goto the website of sweetartphoto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kruwreka

Posted: 2012-09-04 2:25 pm   Permalink

Since this seems to have become the preeminent threat about Van Hoople paintings anywhere online I would like to add mine. I picked it up this weekend. Someone unfortunately tried to paint the frame gold and got smudges on the matting but the picture is untouched. There is also a big 'B5-27' painted on the back of the board in black paint.

View Profile of kruwreka Send a personal message to kruwreka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynthia young

Posted: 2013-01-08 9:29 pm   Permalink

I am so stoked! I have a van hoople and it looks nothing like what I have seen here. it is of a knight on a horse fighting a dragon in sepia tones. it is sworlylines and it is amazing. everybody that sees it raves. it was made in 1974. I have had this painting since1979. a freind of mine in la bought a storage facility and it was full of paintings by a lot of people....20x10 space packed to the gills and i helped him move it all to his house and he let me pick one and I got a van hoople. a few months later he burned his house down when he made a very large tesla coil that he had made in his garage that was hooked directly to the electricity from the pole bypassing the meter. totally illegal. the coil would make lightning and wherever it hit it would burn holes in the walls of his garage. you had to stand in the street and remotely turn it on. he blew all his neighbors windows out and burned his house down.......I SAVED THE VAN HOOPLE!!!!...he went to jail for theft of utilities!

View Profile of cynthia young Send a personal message to cynthia young      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2013-01-08 9:31 pm   Permalink

Great story, thanks!!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MidnightEyes

Posted: 2013-03-02 4:47 pm   Permalink

Hello, I was looking up information about this painting I have.
This painting was thrown out on the curb in the trash. I though it was absolutely beautiful and haunting in a way. I recognized the skill of an artist, and rescued the painting. It is a thick oil paint with designs scrawled into the thick paint to create detail. It is done on what looks like a piece of ceiling tile or drywall that has been framed. The most interesting part is that there is a huge unfished sketch on the back. It looks like some sort of all over printing technique that I am not familiar with. My guess is that the canvas was turned over and reused by Van Hoople. Maybe he didn't have anything else to paint on? Enjoy the pics, I am in love with this painting

View Profile of MidnightEyes Send a personal message to MidnightEyes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation