Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Dolly Does Pele
Dolly Does Pele
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 07:30 am   Permalink

Here's a YouTube clip from the 1988 Hawaiian episode of the Dolly Parton variety show. Thanks to ancient video post-production techniques, Dolly is miraculously transformed into Pele, Goddess of Fire! Watch her erupt from volcanoes while belting out the eponymous tune: a weird conglomeration of 80's synth-pop, country-western, and metal with a dollop of male chanting.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2006-04-30 16:47 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 1:14 pm   Permalink

That was VERY cool, thanks!!!!

Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 4:53 pm   Permalink

Excellent!

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 7:55 pm   Permalink

I'd love to see the entire episode...I'm thinkin' HeeHaw with tikis...

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tekoteko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 7:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks! That's great...I never figured two of my favorite cultural institutions would meld like that. Yes. Dolly Parton is a cultural institution.

Tekoteko

View Profile of tekoteko Send a personal message to tekoteko  Email tekoteko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 03:16 am   Permalink

Ms. Parton nailed it. That IS exactly how Pele should be portrayed!
Thank you Dolly, for conveying Hawaiian culture to the masses.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 05:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-01 19:32, tekoteko wrote:
Thanks! That's great...I never figured two of my favorite cultural institutions would meld like that. Yes. Dolly Parton is a cultural institution.

Tekoteko

I'm w/ you, man. Growin' up in rural north georgia in the 70s & 80s, dolly was the shit. i remember once when i was a little kid, my dad brought home a "dolly parton" birthday cake that his co-workers got for him. i can also remember my dad making a dolly parton figure in the sand on the beach during one of our florida vacations. i guess my dad had a thing for dolly.

mrbalihai, thanks so much for sharing that w/ us. i find it quite fitting that the queen of the smokey mnts would pay tribute to the goddess of the volcano.

utube is so frickin' incredible.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation