FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Kapu Kahiki's Karving Korner- 9/13: Little Marquesan and pics fixed!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kapu Kahiki's Karving Korner- 9/13: Little Marquesan and pics fixed!
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-30 12:06 pm   Permalink

thought I'd go ahead and start a thread of my own stuff...
First, my half Benzart from Coon-Tiki

Ben's side....

My side...

together

All in all, not bad. I learned a lot on this one!

[ This Message was edited by: Kapu Kahiki 2006-05-03 20:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kapu Kahiki 2006-05-04 23:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kapu Kahiki 2006-05-07 08:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kapu Kahiki 2006-05-07 08:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kapu Kahiki 2006-06-21 14:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kapu kahiki 2006-09-01 21:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kapu Kahiki 2006-09-13 20:44 ]

View Profile of Kapu Kahiki Send a personal message to Kapu Kahiki  Email Kapu Kahiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-30 12:11 pm   Permalink

And an original in basswood, the Raratonga Bunny.
I propose a battle to the death between Raratonga Bunny and TikiGap's Tiki Bat!
After carving, I stained it dark mahogany, and added the details in acrylic paint. Some of Basement Kahuna's patented aging techniques for a nice finish, and here we are:

A Kapu Kahiki original!

View Profile of Kapu Kahiki Send a personal message to Kapu Kahiki  Email Kapu Kahiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 3:43 pm   Permalink

not sure who I would pick in battle...the bunny could poke the bat with the carrot...so maybe
I would pick him. Pretty cool idea...and the dog in the background...seems to be impersonating
the CoonTiki carving.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 05:14 am   Permalink

KK, That looks like one Evil Rabbit, don't know if I would want to tangle with him.
Very nice job on your BenZart Lesson, Thanks for sharing. I am happy to have met and spent time with you at Coon Tiki.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 05:57 am   Permalink

KK, "That rabbits dynamite, he's got huge razor sharp teeth. Run away!!!" I choose the rabbit. Cool idea. The hook knife is quite a tool, much respect to those who can cut so clean with it. I think you did a great job.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-03 8:43 pm   Permalink

At the prodding of 8FT last month, here are a couple of pics of my home bar, the (you guessed it) Kapu Kahiki! Enjoy!

Panorama NOTE: the tall painted Tiki on the wall to the right is from The Kahiki!

The Bar

The Mugs

Protector of the mugs, 2 1/2 foot tall glazed clay Moai

Hope you like my little getaway, Cheers!

hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 8:46 pm   Permalink

That's a great Tiki pad you've got there. I'm sure you look forward to the end of the working day just to cosy up in there...

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-03 9:12 pm   Permalink

Very nice KK - the bunny's very cool too! You could sell those!

Signed,

Not a Pastry Chef

(I cut the crap out of me thumb a couple days ago)

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-04 9:41 pm   Permalink

Firstly, thanks to all for the kind words.
secondly, GAP, I cut the hell out of my thumb a week and a half ago! Ironically not carving, but putting a blade into my Warren Cutlery™ hook knife! You are no pastry chef, true. However, your thumb does look like a toe, which freaks me out!

But I digress....

Here is my nearly finished Raratonga Mask.

Primary carving and sanding done a couple of days ago:

Details drawn on and begun:

The 'nostrils' and cheek design will be chiseled and beveled:

Maori-esque chin:

"Out of the water I am nothing"
-Duke Kahanamoku

[ This Message was edited by: kapu kahiki 2006-06-11 08:35 ]

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 9:58 pm   Permalink

Kapu, the bar is looking really nice. Can I trouble you to post a closer shot of the Kahiki tiki?

...Fresh memories of the cabin, watching that "Coffee" movie with the girl fight scenes and listening to BK's off key ballads. Good times, man! You missed the tornado warnings. Speaking of memories, how's that, er, disk going?

Your Cook Islands mask is looking great. Strangely, mine is at almost the exact same stage of progress. As in, same as when I left TN, but with a lot of pen markings for what I am planning on carving. Nice pics, post more progress, and show us the rest of those great tikis that you are planning in your head right now. As you get them done, that is.

Cheers,

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-04 10:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Aaron!
I thought your mask was great as it stood when we left the cabin! I have been investing some time in mine these last few days and weeks to try and finish up.

Funny you should mention the disk, I need to get footage from Swanky to finish up. Coming along a bit slowly, as my first time using Final Cut, and there is a learning curve for sure.

Stay tuned for more of the Kahiki Tiki. The same style can be seen at Chef Shangri La in Chicago, I will dig up some pics and post those too...

Keep the comments comin', I'll take all the advice I can get!

8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-05 3:31 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-05-03 20:43, Kapu Kahiki wrote:
At the prodding of 8FT last month, here are a couple of pics of my home bar, the (you guessed it) Kapu Kahiki! Enjoy!

Well, well Pez my man, I'm really glad you remembered and shared the photos of your tiki space! Just like you and Aaron, I am also still working on my mask and I am in the sanding stage on my mini Benzart. I don't know about you guys but I recall lots of fun times from Coontiki whenever I pick up the tools and carve! SOOOO glad we did that weekend.
One last thing, you and the Pastry chef take it easy on your thumbs. Your friend 8FT

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-07 08:37 am   Permalink

At the request of Aaron, here's a bigger shot of that Kahiki Tiki...

Hope everyone had fun at Tiki Oasis...

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-07 11:28 am   Permalink

Hey Kahik, I'm Loving the detail you are adding to your big mask, it's realy going to be excellent. And WHO is that Yellow-haired guy hangin on the wall there in that last picture. Mighty handsome fella he is.. Love the bar pix too.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-12 6:59 pm   Permalink

Hey Pez! It's been a week or so - how's the raratonga coming? Pictures?

And BTW how's the thumb? That Warren Cutlery™ hook knife ROCKS! Hey, I just noticed - is that 3 tv's behind the bar?

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-05-12 19:00 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation