FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Kapu Kahiki's Karving Korner- 9/13: Little Marquesan and pics fixed!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Kapu Kahiki's Karving Korner- 9/13: Little Marquesan and pics fixed!
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-13 12:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks, GAP! Thumb's all healed up, I taped it with some waterproof stuff from Warren Cutlery™ while I carved. It was gnarly, man!
Rarotonga is at a standstill, due to a business trip to California. I actually tried to figure a way to sneak my chisels through, but figured it was too much trouble!
I will be taking a few days out in the hills again this week, hope to finish the carving then, and stain, BK Age® and hang it when I return. Stay tuned for more pics.

On my Bar are a Trader Vic's coconut mug, the Black Trader Vic's Moai mug from SF anniversary, and a genuine TV Menehune. Hmmm.... perhaps I should finally photograph and join ooga-mooga?

BTW, I have all of the Tommy Bahama mugs, what's anyone's opinion of those? Their clothes are too damn big, so I went with the mugs.

"Out of the water I am nothing"
-Duke Kahanamoku

[ This Message was edited by: Kapu Kahiki 2006-06-11 08:36 ]

View Profile of Kapu Kahiki Send a personal message to Kapu Kahiki  Email Kapu Kahiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-13 7:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-13 12:10, Kapu Kahiki wrote:
On my Bar are a Trader Vic's coconut mug, the Black Trader Vic's Moai mug from SF anniversary, and a genuine TV Menehune. Hmmm.... perhaps I should finally photograph and join ooga-mooga?

Ha! That's funny! I meant Televisions, not Trader Vics, and it's funny that you do actually have 3 trader vics there too! Ha!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-13 9:05 pm   Permalink

Pez, thanks for posting the Kahiki pic for me. That is quite an interesting piece. How did you acquire it?

Next time you come out to CA, let me know. Maybe we can hook up at one of the local tiki establishments.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-21 1:47 pm   Permalink

Aaron,
Sorry I have been away for awhile!
I bought the Kahiki mask from the Kahiki Outlet store in an eBay auction for about $125!

View Profile of Kapu Kahiki Send a personal message to Kapu Kahiki  Email Kapu Kahiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-21 2:03 pm   Permalink

Here we go
Cook-Islands mask from Coon-Tiki was completed several weeks ago.
Here are the last few in-progress and completed shots:

A couple of shots of the 'nostril' pattern, beveled in

Finished pics:

The chin pattern. The wood did not like my original pattern (see above). I like this just as well, I think it evokes a skull.

Forehead design

Sides details

I love the finish and sheen that the tung oil gave the mask! The red details are simple acrylic, which I oiled over for protection

A Kapu Kahik original! I polyeurethaned the tops and back

Check out the hooks. They are actually picture-hanging hooks, which I flipped over to pound into the back of the mask for hanging on my gate.

"Out of the water I am nothing"
-Duke Kahanamoku

[ This Message was edited by: Kapu Kahiki 2006-09-13 20:42 ]

8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-21 6:38 pm   Permalink

Well done Pez. Good to see you finished the mask instead of letting it sit there and rot. I need to get back to mine again but I have been on another carving. Love the finish and the hook idea is great. Gotta remember that one.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-22 07:33 am   Permalink

Yes, Definitely a nice finish and color job there KK. Ready for another CoonTiki

Cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-01 9:18 pm   Permalink

I finally found a decent woodshop here in town. It's no smoky mountain carvers, to be sure, but good enough for now!
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=330
I'd prefer a smaller locally owned place, but this is a start...

Anyway, I was checking out some power carvers, and I just had a tough time choosing which is best! Luckily, I didn't want to surprise my wife with a $200 purchase, so I didn't choose...

Anyway, I know that GAP blew out his wecheer, which is what I was looking at. That really held me back, but the power tool kit seems like such a great deal
http://www.wecheer.com/content.php?view=list_prod&cat=ptk

Just looking for some advice on a versatile power chisel/detail tool for carving small details and also doing some sign work. I can't afford something that will die under regular tiki carving use, in other words not a dremel. As I have mentioned before, I am also considering a roto zip with flexshaft attachment.

any tips?

Thanks!

Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-13 8:37 pm   Permalink

Back to work! And back to the hook knife
Here's my third project currently in the works, a little marquesan-style guy
Hope you all like it...

started with a little square of basswood, which I shaped down to be more like a tiny log

I stopped when I cut myself.

I have invested an hour and a half or so on this guy so far. Hadn't worked with the hook for awhile, but it's coming back to me.
I really dig the small stuff, thanks to Ben for the teaching!

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 04:41 am   Permalink

I liked the red details on that tiki

Nice

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 05:07 am   Permalink

well it took a little while but your coontiki project turned out great...i also like the red
detail. Looks like a good start on the little Marq too...keep those chisels and hook knife
going..and get some more bandaids.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 07:10 am   Permalink

Looks great so far. The hook knife is a great tool but its not the only one. I have found that the hook knife works great when shaping and making large cuts. For more refined detail and cleanup work I prefer an Xacto knife with a fresh/disposable #11 (straight) blade. The blade is a bit smaller and allows you stronger control for intricate patterns. Also, I like to do the main features first (eyes, mouth, body...) then go into the details that take alot of time. That way if you screw something up, you didn't waste as much time. Watch those digits and keep going.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 09:39 am   Permalink

Awesome carving Kapu. I'm liking the use of color in some carvings lately. Yours is no exception. I was forced to recently, and I must admit that it made quite a diference. Keep on it. I want to see the little guy your hookin right now!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 6:37 pm   Permalink

whatever happened here?

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation