[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Savage Renewal Homemade Tiki Mugs
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Savage Renewal Homemade Tiki Mugs
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 3:58 pm   Permalink

There’s not much history on homemade mug making. I think that most of them were made in weekend ceramic classes poured into a ready made mold and painted with the students discretion. You get a few interesting variations that you wouldn’t find in the classic “buy the drink keep the mug tiki bar. For instance this one which I’ll call “King Tiki” since it shows a tiki in a robe perched on another tiki is in a light brown and the glazer took the liberty to paint the inside of it a bright orange to give it a more elegant feel, the name stylized on the bottom is Hazel.

I don’t know of any “official” Andres Bumatay mugs but I have seen a few homemade ones like this one.

This is a two faced on with a happy face on the back with the initials of “BLS” on the bottom.

This must have been a very popular mold since I have 3 with different glazes and names on the bottom. They have the classic Ku angry face on one side and a simple grin on the reverse, the glazes on these also reflect the painters individuality with a nice green pokadotted with blue with the date of 1969 on it. Here’s a light brown and white mug that was fired on Oct 12, 1973 in Alaska. The last one the painter framed the lip, bottom, and handle of the mug in a deep black with much of the brush strokes visible.

This same design lost it’s handle and made it to several non tiki restaurants as you can see. The red one was from a Chinese Restaurant in Hawaii called Mandarin Palace and the brown one ended up (If my memory serves) in a eatery called The Pottery. This place was famous for serving stew in a precooked pottery container, not where you’d find rumaki. Lastly the ochre mug comes from American Hawaii Cruises in The Town of Kona most likely from a luau.

This barely scratches the surface but it is nice to see the folk art tradition of tiki mugs go a step forward with the individual touches.

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2006-04-30 16:03 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 10:23 pm   Permalink

Good topic, Naugatiki. I used to look down on homemade mugs at one time as being unworth of collecting, but seeing a bunch of them together in the pages of TikiQuest made me reconsider and now I really like them and love finding them. The design I come across most often is the Moai. Here are the variations I've collected:

My favorite is the metallic copper guy 2nd from the right. The bluenose at the left is just weird.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 2:12 pm   Permalink

This is one of those examples of a brilliant thread idea that got buried and deserves to be resurrected.
There must be quite a few "homemade" mug discoveries since 2006?

Here are a few examples that appeared in "Tiki Finds"...

Big Kahuna's

Psycho Tiki D's

Tattoo's

Sweet Daddy Tiki's

Tiki David's

MrBaliHai's

And, here's a specimen we purchased not too long ago that appears to be based on just the head of the Tampa Hawaiian Village's Nui Nui Mug.
The bottom is crudely engraved "Jean."

FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 2:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-17 14:12, JONPAUL wrote:

Big Kahuna's

that Les was pretty prolific. I found these two in San Diego:

Quote:

[i]On 2008-08-24 21:46, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:[i]
A couple of hobby peanut mugs

Done by Les in '79

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 08:55 am   Permalink

Here's a few of the homemade mugs I've found over the years.

Coffee Mugs

Betty Page Hi Balls

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pikeys Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 12:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-17 14:12, JONPAUL wrote:

Gotta love the Jimmy Durante Kon Tiki mugs...

View Profile of Pikeys Dog Send a personal message to Pikeys Dog  Goto the website of Pikeys Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-02 11:54 pm   Permalink

Time for some historical reference material. These ads are from Babalu's collection of vintage "Popular Ceramics" magazines from the 1960s. (Thanks for letting me scan these, Babalu!) They give you an idea of the range of Duncan molds that were out there and why we keep finding these mugs in the wild.

November 1966. Duncan Ceramics of Fresno, CA.

November 1967. Gare molds, including a tiki lamp base.

August 1968. 2 Duncan molds ads.

I actually own the Tiki Beer Mug mold and the stacking mugs mold. I should really give them a try.

July 1969. Lots of good stuff here.

August 1971. Check out the cool Luau Pig bowl at the bottom.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-03 03:15 am   Permalink

Swapmeet find... earless variety...

holes for pupu laden tooth picks

Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-03 08:03 am   Permalink

This shows that the whole Party City rainbow explosion tiki look has been around a while.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-03 08:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-02 23:54, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
August 1968. 2 Duncan molds ads.

Sabu,

Those are some great ads. I have the Duncan two-face coffee mug with a nice green glaze.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-03 5:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting those really cool ad's Sabu!!
Here's Sabu's Ad for the Hawaiian Pig:

And here's the actual Duncan Mold:

I saw this on Ebay.
I usually don't like to quote what people say in their descriptions on Ebay but I thought this seller had a few interesting things to say about this mold. Also, the date and model number at the end.

In the description, the seller states:

"CERAMIC MOLD FOR LUAU PIG FOR H'orderve OR COCKTAIL Picks FOR FRUIT SUCH AS PINEAPPLE CHERRIES AND CHEESES AND SUCH, OR FOR KABOBS. RUMAKI - LIVER AND BACON WITH NUTS, YOU MAKE THE HOLES TO FIT THE PRODUCT.. OR CAN HAVE THE LEGS HOLES COVERED AND MADE INTO A BANK. WEIRD LOOKING PIG, BUT THIS ONE I MADE AND SOLD A LOT OF, I THINK MOLDS HAVE LIFE OF 300, I THINK I MADE ABOUT 30. ALSO CAN BE CUTOUT ON SIDE FOR FLAT UTENSILS AND CANDLES, AND WHATEVER ELSE YOU CAN DREAM UP. MAKES A 13" ELONGATED PIG. 1969 BY DUNCAN 37A ALSO HAS SMALL HAT, I DID NOT USE. USUALLY DID HIM IN HAWAIIAN COLORS."

I thought some of you Luau Pig lovers would like this!!

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-03 08:03, woofmutt wrote:

This shows that the whole Party City rainbow explosion tiki look has been around a while.

1968: the Hippie influence rears its colorful head! Make Tikis gay and happy, not dark and brooding! ....though they must have had a bad reaction to that concept, their 1969 line up is decidedly dark and brown! ...which I guess was in sync with the coming "Browning of America".

Sabu, great finds! Wish I would have had one of these for my pages 28/29 of Tiki Modern where I mention the mid-century craze in home ceramics. Babalu touched on that in another thread, too, it's a fascinating facet of modern primitivism.

These finds go to show that there still are many untapped sources in terms of magazines and other print media that can yield interesting material pertaining to Tiki culture.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 12:16 pm   Permalink

omc style parrot mug. I found two of these.

[ This Message was edited by: ka'lenatiki 2010-07-14 07:39 ]

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-16 3:42 pm   Permalink

Just saw a set of these on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Vintage-Double-Sided-Tiki-Mugs-1960s-Hand-Painted-/380251108741?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5888bb7585

Yup - ugly. I'm kind-a leaning towards the idea that this cluster f#%k wasn't so much a product of the 'Age of Aquarius', more over, I think the ad might have simply been all about making money. Duncan even supplied (upon request) a paint by numbers pamphlet with this mold...the more colors you use, the more $$ you spend. Maybe, the advertising didn't work? hey, ugly is ugly...

who knows...?

One thing I do know is that these old ceramics mags are really fun...lot's to learn in them

PS: I like the ones on the eBay auction better than the ones in the ad.

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2010-07-16 15:44 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-16 3:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-03 17:22, TabooDan wrote:
Thanks for posting those really cool ad's Sabu!!
Here's Sabu's Ad for the Hawaiian Pig:

And here's the actual Duncan Mold:

I saw this on Ebay.
I usually don't like to quote what people say in their descriptions on Ebay but I thought this seller had a few interesting things to say about this mold. Also, the date and model number at the end.

In the description, the seller states:

"CERAMIC MOLD FOR LUAU PIG FOR H'orderve OR COCKTAIL Picks FOR FRUIT SUCH AS PINEAPPLE CHERRIES AND CHEESES AND SUCH, OR FOR KABOBS. RUMAKI - LIVER AND BACON WITH NUTS, YOU MAKE THE HOLES TO FIT THE PRODUCT.. OR CAN HAVE THE LEGS HOLES COVERED AND MADE INTO A BANK. WEIRD LOOKING PIG, BUT THIS ONE I MADE AND SOLD A LOT OF, I THINK MOLDS HAVE LIFE OF 300, I THINK I MADE ABOUT 30. ALSO CAN BE CUTOUT ON SIDE FOR FLAT UTENSILS AND CANDLES, AND WHATEVER ELSE YOU CAN DREAM UP. MAKES A 13" ELONGATED PIG. 1969 BY DUNCAN 37A ALSO HAS SMALL HAT, I DID NOT USE. USUALLY DID HIM IN HAWAIIAN COLORS."

I thought some of you Luau Pig lovers would like this!!

TabooDan

hehe - I don't think that is a hat in the mold as the seller suggests...I think it is a stopper, or cap for the nose of the piggy

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation