FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Wood Sculptures by J.S.G.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Wood Sculptures by J.S.G.
J.S.G.
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-01 7:38 pm   Permalink

Hello,

Here are my first attempts at some sort of oceanic faces/masks...I've done masks before, the greenman and totem type masks.

It was a challenge for me to keep it primitive, simple, minimal. Alot of fun. I want to make more. These are experiments in finishing style and shapes.

My first one is to the left.

Also a close up of my tribute to van gogh, cedar.

[ This Message was edited by: J.S.G. 2007-01-25 17:30 ]

View Profile of J.S.G. Send a personal message to J.S.G.  Email J.S.G. Goto the website of J.S.G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 7:48 pm   Permalink

Wow!! Impressive. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 8:06 pm   Permalink

great looking stuff on your website...the masks are nice too.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 8:18 pm   Permalink

J.S.G., excellent masks, but the VanGogh, is Outta this world awesome. Welcome to Tiki Central too.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 8:19 pm   Permalink

good stuff. You coming to the Tiki Kon NW Crawl?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 9:15 pm   Permalink

On 2006-05-01 20:18, Benzart wrote:
J.S.G., excellent masks, but the VanGogh, is Outta this world awesome. Welcome to Tiki Central too.

Cheers J.S.G.!

p.s. don't be gettin' all wacky and try to cut off your ear with that chain saw now...

Awesome!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 9:20 pm   Permalink

DAYUUUUMMM! That big piece is superb. Welcome to TC!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 9:34 pm   Permalink

Welcome, J.S.G.! That is an eyeful. What will you come up with after fully sucumbing to the tiki bug? Can't wait to see! Stick around, please!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 06:18 am   Permalink

Awesome stuff. How about creating a tiki piece like that Van Gogh piece? I'm thinking like a nice tropical scene with palms and a volcano, or a homage to a tiki art piece of your choice. Cool stuff.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
J.S.G.
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-02 09:59 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind comments... and thanks for the welcome Benzart.

Don't worry Rev. BamBoo, I'll keep the saw away from my ear...but I must admit, I did nick my big toe once. That'll teach me to carve with a dull saw in flip flops...Yikes!

Hewey, good ideas. Van Gogh masks. You know, I did a small mural of volcanos, palm trees, and water. Not in the Van Gogh style. I have an affinity for volcanos, being born near one (Mt. Pinatubo) and the celebration of the Mt. St Helens blast coincides with my birthday (may 18)...and going to the Big Island, I slept on Pele's cool downed lava rocks one night.

Love all this tropical stuff, and carving the masks, stirred a deep emotion in me (being born in a tropical place).

View Profile of J.S.G. Send a personal message to J.S.G.  Email J.S.G. Goto the website of J.S.G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 11:48 am   Permalink

Aloha, welcome to TC. You're stuff is amazing, I sure hope ya stay a while! I'd definately like to see more stuff from ya.
I'm still trying to figure how you got such a square hunk of wood for the Van Gogh!!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 12:16 pm   Permalink

Welcome aboard. The Van Gogh tribute is wonderful. Van Gogh and chainsaws ---can't go wrong with that. I am assuming you have more to show us unless you are a natural and the tribute piece was your first.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 12:28 pm   Permalink

If I'm not mistaken, you wrote a book called Art of Chainsaw Carving documenting chainsaw carving pioneers? Really nice work. I always appreciate you chainsaw carvers. I have a hard time just splitting a long in half. .

Looking forward to seeing more of you wonderful art.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
J.S.G.
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-02 8:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-01 20:19, Jungle Trader wrote:
good stuff. You coming to the Tiki Kon NW Crawl?

I wish. I'll be in California then. Maybe next year!

Quote:

On 2006-05-02 11:48, surfintiki wrote:
I'm still trying to figure how you got such a square hunk of wood for the Van Gogh!!

I slabbed up a cedar log then joined them together on a plywood backing. I added the tree / bush. So it's 3 pieces of wood. The crack is where the wood shrunk apart (it was still green when I laminated it together) No problem, I'll just take a slice of wood to repair it, then carve the grain again, to hide the seam.

Quote:

On 2006-05-02 12:28, Loki wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, you wrote a book called Art of Chainsaw Carving documenting chainsaw carving pioneers?

Yep, what a project!

[ This Message was edited by: J.S.G. 2006-05-02 20:03 ]

J.S.G.
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-13 3:49 pm   Permalink

one of the cone volcano heads in the finished stage, with some oil on it.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation