Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki TV Luaus: Pee Wee and SCTV
TV Luaus: Pee Wee and SCTV
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 07:09 am   Permalink

In perhaps the clearest sign yet that I've become totally obsessive in my dotage, I recently began scouring my home DVD and video collection for any and all traces of Polynesian Pop. So far, I've turned up the following 2 clips which I've uploaded to YouTube for your viewing pleasure.

Here's part of the
Luau For Two episode of Pee Wee's Playhouse, a show that was always on the cutting edge of retrofetishism. Pee Wee wins dinner for 2 at a Hawaiian restaurant, but when ALL the Playhouse gang wants to go, he turns to Jambi the Genie, who grants his wish by converting the entire Playhouse into a giant Luau. Long Live Jambi!

Polynesiantown, an intentionally lame parody of the film Chinatown, appeared as a 1981 Movie of the Week on SCTV, and stars perennial celebrity loser, Johnny LaRue (John Candy), as the proprietor of Johnny LaRue's Luau Room, a Polynesian restaurant/nightclub that serves up bad entertainment and poisonous food. Dr. John appears as himself. Don't eat the Molokai Ribs!

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ted tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 08:29 am   Permalink

I love SCTV-greatest comedy show ever. I have always planed on naming my home bar (once it is done)after that great episode. The show hasn't aged as well as I hoped but it does bring back great memories.

View Profile of ted tiki Send a personal message to ted tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 10:47 am   Permalink

If you listen carefully to the background music on that "Pee-wee" episode, you can jear Jambi repeatedly chanting "mekka-lekka-hi, mekka-hiney-ho."

Where was Lawrence Fishburne (aka Cowboy Curtis)?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-04 10:47, cynfulcynner wrote:
If you listen carefully to the background music on that "Pee-wee" episode, you can jear Jambi repeatedly chanting "mekka-lekka-hi, mekka-hiney-ho."

The ants playing the ukulele and hula-ing around the volcano are singing that as well.

Quote:

Where was Lawrence Fishburne (aka Cowboy Curtis)?

He'd been liberated from the Playhouse Matrix in an earlier episode...

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-05 07:22 am   Permalink

"That's an expensive CRANE SHOT!!!!!"

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-05 5:08 pm   Permalink

Polynesiantown!!!!! So great Thank you! I just watched Chinatown this morning... I wish I could see it all the way to the end.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-06 12:04 pm   Permalink

I was digging "Happy Talk" way more than Dr. John...does that make me a freak?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-06 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-06 12:04, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I was digging "Happy Talk" way more than Dr. John...does that make me a freak?

I thought Andrea Martin looked really hot in that muu-muu.

We both need help.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

marika
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-06 2:09 pm   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1HgDUrQ5us

in this episode with Dolly Parton you see a big tiki pole in Pee Wee's house I don't know if it was always in the show.

View Profile of marika Send a personal message to marika  Goto the website of marika     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-06 5:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-06 14:09, marika wrote:
in this episode with Dolly Parton you see a big tiki pole in Pee Wee's house I don't know if it was always in the show.

It was always there, if I recall. I watched the show just about every single week.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-07 12:41 pm   Permalink

the SCTV Polynesiantown episode has been reuploaded on YouTube - starting at 20:42 and resuming at 43:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDhEJ-dgmc0&feature=youtu.be&t=20m42s

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-07 8:24 pm   Permalink

Aloha Johnny Dollar,

Thnx fer da tip...

is that u?

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captainwhoopass
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-08 1:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-06 14:09, marika wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1HgDUrQ5us

The playhouse was redone at the beginning of season 2 when the show moved to a new studio. I don't believe the tiki pole by the door of the playhouse was in season 1.

View Profile of Captainwhoopass Send a personal message to Captainwhoopass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 09:12 am   Permalink

Don't eat the ribs! I love SCTV!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation