FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge The horror that is the Beatles!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The horror that is the Beatles!!
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-07 11:17 pm   Permalink

I think Lucas has just been out-ranted by the rant-master.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 12:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-08 00:19, lanikai wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-05-07 18:29, lucas vigor wrote: But I can't stand seeing these english guys stealing Indian music

yea, doncha just hate it when some white people appropriate an exotic culture's icons and music?! Rock on, Polynesian Pop culture dude!

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 08:49 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Lucas Vigor 2006-12-15 10:20 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 09:54 am   Permalink

Ohta-san? HELL yeah somebody else has that stuff...I thought I was the only person brave enough to snag those on a thrift run--his Hawaii 5.0 is the BOMB....as far as the Beatles are concerned, when I was a stoner type in high school I LOVED the Beatles & hated the Beach Boys--now its the other way around. Well, I don't HATE the Beatles...just don't really find myself as into them without the bong-headphones on. The Beach Boys are far closer to the Exotica thang than the Beatles...it just took awhile to figure that out.

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 10:17 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:20 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-05-08 10:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-08 10:17, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-05-08 09:54, bb moondog wrote:
Ohta-san? HELL yeah somebody else has that stuff...I thought I was the only person brave enough to snag those on a thrift run--his Hawaii 5.0 is the BOMB....as far as the Beatles are concerned, when I was a stoner type in high school I LOVED the Beatles & hated the Beach Boys--now its the other way around. Well, I don't HATE the Beatles...just don't really find myself as into them without the bong-headphones on. The Beach Boys are far closer to the Exotica thang than the Beatles...it just took awhile to figure that out.

AMEN!!

The beach boys absolutely rule over the Beatles. Pet sounds.... I think that album is the anti-Sgt. Peppers!!!

I love the Beach boys, the harmonies, the deceptively complex song structures and chords. Those guys had it going on....they were COOL!!!

Personally I agree that the Beatles are overrated but don't dismiss the fact that if it wasn't for the Beatles, there would be no Pet Sounds.

"The story is legend. Brian Wilson hears Rubber Soul, and is so blown away that he gets his Beach Boys together and makes Pet Sounds. Paul McCartney, in turn, hears Pet Sounds and is so blown away that he and his fellow Beatles make Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Three of the definitive rock albums of all time, and they were transatlantic vinyl love letters."
http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/b/beatles-revolvermft.shtml

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 10:55 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2009-06-25 20:06 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WillTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-08 11:05 am   Permalink

I cannot take it any more and have to ring in. I was Beatles crazy as a kid. I was born in 1964 and have only one sibling, a brother born in 1952. As such, I "inherited" all of his music as a very young kid and was absolutely blown away by the Beatles going directly from Disney soundtrack records to Revolution #9. Cut to years later. I can barely stand to listen to the Beatles now except in very small doses. It is not that they were not pivotal in the development of pop(ular) music; it is just that I have had my fill and prefer not to listen to them today. To me, people like Les Paul and Mary Ford or Dave Brubeck or even the aforementioned Bill Haley have better stood the test of time and sound less dated than the Beatles.
There are different eras of the Beatles and you have to admit that the early "Love me do" stuff is little if any better than Pat Boone bubblegum pop. In other words, it wasn't until they became a studio only act that they gotr to the era that is touted today.

View Profile of WillTiki Send a personal message to WillTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 11:28 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:21 ]

bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 12:14 pm   Permalink

this topic has TRULY turned to 'bilge'--I'm sure we'll be debating the merits of "Pink Lady & Jeff" and "Mister T & Tina" at any moment

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 2:34 pm   Permalink

<<Humble Pie, T. Rex, Grand Funk Railroad, David Bowie, Sweet, Neil Young, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper and Creem Magazine were SO boring to live through. >>

You left out Uriah Heep.

Who are still touring?!?!?!?!
http://www.uriah-heep.com/newa/index.php

And re: the beach boys...

I'd rather hear excrement drop from a height of 8'11" than to hear those whiny, needly sounding girlie-men with their weird "I gotta go pee" gyrations mucking up my memory.

*shudder*

I wish Dick Dale would've killed them when he had the chance.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 3:20 pm   Permalink

hmmmmmm...OUCH. Thats a pretty good point...

even the instros like "Lets Get Away For Awhile" & " Diamondhead"? ..which were basically the Wrecking Crew doing exotica...

I used to mock people for liking them cuz they seemed so FAUX California...but they DID pretty much nationalize the surf sound
BUT point taken---I think thats mostly the Mike Love faction thats whiny, nasal & a very BAD dancer...

donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 4:24 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2009-06-25 20:04 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 4:34 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:21 ]

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 4:37 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:22 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation