FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge The horror that is the Beatles!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The horror that is the Beatles!!
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-07 8:16 pm   Permalink

Hmm...

...the Beatles came along in this life "right after" the first Tiki influences, "Adventures in Paradise" and the "South Pacific" movie.

'Never saw any 'Horror" in The Beatles and certainly no "threat" to Tiki.

Parallel travels....

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-07 8:35 pm   Permalink

It's not parallel at all. One cancelled out the other. Since this forum is mainly about mid century poly pop, I am always amazed at the amount of people on this forum who seem to come from a different, more hippy hawaiian version of tiki. Not me. I just wish people would stop resserecting this thread. When I first wrote it, I incorrectly assumed a majority of people on this forum liked music associated more with lounge culture then with pop/rock music. I was wrong. There are only a handful of us. Lets just leave it at that. Mid century Tiki died in the 60's. The Tiki revival of the 90's is either dying or being dilluted so much that it no longer has any connection to the original other then people collecting mugs. Hippy, Buffet, surf anf Punk are what it seems the majority of people on this forum are into. Why don't you Beatles/Hippy defenders just start your own threads about how The Beatles are Tiki, or why you love their mundane and souless songs so much.....I promise I won't post on it. I would rather leave this thread for those that prefer Dean Martin or Sinatra, Esquivel or Martin Denny....or just let it sleep.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lokepa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-08 04:54 am   Permalink

i think you misinterpreted my comment: nothing wrong w/ Booker T at all I just would've thought it might have been the Isleys for example or the Contours... btw long before i was listening to the Beatles etc I was borrowing my dad's Les Baxter LPs along with Tito, Shorty Rogers "Afro-Cuban Influence" LP, Prez Prado, and as I got a little older ventured along with Stan Getz's travels into bossa nova, Herb Alpert, all of that kind of material... granted not straight tiki by a long shot.. I just happen to love all kinds of music and was happily surprised to find such a large following of exotica these days...

btw Old Blue Eyes once made the comment that "Something (In the way she moves)" was "the greatest love song ever written..." when the Chairman of the Board speaks we better listen..

Shaka!

[ This Message was edited by: Lokepa 2010-10-08 04:59 ]

View Profile of Lokepa Send a personal message to Lokepa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-08 07:51 am   Permalink

All the examples you just posted are far closer to Tiki then the Beatles ever will be. They are from what we now call the "Lounge" era, and I pretty much like them all.

Another point: Yes, Sinatra and other "jazz" pop artists of that time period pandered a bit to what was then current tastes, and included Beatles and other 60's artists songs in thier repetoir. I did not like it much. Sergio Mendes and brasil 66 did this, as did Wes Montgomery among others. It's pandering, and an attempt to stay current. Some of them were older artists, trying to be hip. Others perhaps genuinely liked the new sound. But some, I am willing to bet, did this with a gun pointed at thier heads by the record company trying to capture the youth market.

Not much different then what Sergio Mendes has done recently with his collaborations with rap artists. Actually, I pretty much hate it.

I would like to know under what circumstances or in what context Sinatra made that comment...because there is no way any Beatle song would ever rank as the world's greatest love song...not when there are so many great tunes by Cole Porter and so many others.

But regardless, the point of this thread originally (way back in the dawn of time) was that it's apples and bicyle locks. The two genres (mid century jazz pop and Hippy rock music) are completely different from each other. I see no co-existing among them. Maybe today, people can like both....but back then, there was a HUGE difference. Culturally, musically, demographically.

And speaking as a musician, the main difference for me has always been that the music of the lounge era was created by professional musicians, reading scores, being conducted..think Les Baxter, Billy May and all the other big band leaders who routinely backed singers of the time period.....most everything (with some exceptions) that came after was basically a form of folk music/garage rock stuff. And that would include the Beatles. OK if you like that stuff....but I don't.

You can debate that one is better then the other or not...but I am just saying there is a huge difference in the styles of music I am describing here.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lokepa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-08 08:56 am   Permalink

Sinatra pandering?

all good points, but i love it all... the music that is..

and didn't Muddy Waters say that jazz and the blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll??

for what its worth this from wikipedia:

Frank Sinatra was particularly impressed with "Something;" calling it "the greatest love song ever written," he sang it hundreds of times at various concerts. However, he once made the comment that "Something" was his all-time favourite Lennon/McCartney song (knowing neither composed the track), and frequently introduced it as such.[24] Harrison did not appear to mind this, and instead borrowed an alteration to the lyric that Sinatra had made. Where the original song was "You stick around now it may show," Sinatra sang "You stick around, Jack, she might show." This change was adopted by Harrison, who used the same lyrics whenever he performed "Something" as part of his touring repertoire

...and just for kicks!

Other cover versions (of Something) soon appeared, including versions from Presley (who included it in his Aloha from Hawaii TV special) !!!! LOL!

[ This Message was edited by: Lokepa 2010-10-08 09:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Lokepa 2010-10-08 09:43 ]

View Profile of Lokepa Send a personal message to Lokepa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-08 10:58 am   Permalink

The fab 5:

The hippie Beatles:

I just don't know how much clearer the difference could ever be!

(but wait, isn't Ringo wearing a Lei? That means the Beatles are TIKI!!!!!!!)

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2010-10-08 10:59 ]

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-08 11:12 am   Permalink

1950's cocktail party: (where everyone looked and smelled their best!)

1960's hippie party: (where everyone looked like a bum, and smelled probably not so good!)

(but wait......I see some exotic percussion in this picture! That proves that Hippie music is the same thing as exotica!)

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2010-10-08 11:13 ]

King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-08 11:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-08 07:51, lucas vigor wrote:
...Sinatra and other "jazz" pop artists of that time period pandered a bit to what was then current tastes, and included Beatles and other 60's artists songs in thier repetoir.. ... It's pandering, and an attempt to stay current. Some of them were older artists, trying to be hip. Others perhaps genuinely liked the new sound. But some, I am willing to bet, did this with a gun pointed at thier heads by the record company trying to capture the youth market....

I always found this album to be tragically ironic or ironically tragic...

Most early Beatle albums could have been called "Beatles pick Chet Atkins".

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lokepa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-08 11:54 am   Permalink

now this is scarey!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-08 4:05 pm   Permalink

What the heck was he thinking?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-08 4:48 pm   Permalink

And I get called "Old Man" because I still Listen to old-school Punk Rock...

and 50s Jazz,Swing,Torch,Exotica and Pop,60s Ska & Reggae music(Desmond Dekker the Israelites)anyone? anyone?
yea I said it,I like Reggae! but I hate Jimmy Buffet,his music,not the guy.

But for some reason I have never been a Beatles fan,I preferred Motown.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lokepa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-09 06:03 am   Permalink

LOL! you don't know what old is yet! I'm 63 years of age and to paraphrase Tolstoy, nothing surprises a man more than old age! Hey next year I get to sing that Beatles song w/ real meaning! so I turned 13 in 1960 meaning I spent all of my teenage years and part of my young adulthood during that controversial decade... thing is while we were growing up nobody told us, hey this decade is gonna be one of the most controversial, scrutinized decades in the history of the country or the world for that matter... anyway as far as the Beatles go: what is it the French say? Look for the woman! so back in the day we had what i call "record dates" i guess... that's when you go over to a girl's house with a bunch of albums listen to music and maybe if not second get to first base... truth be told: if you showed up with an armful of Les Baxter or Martin Denny records you probably wouldn't even get up to bat! the girls LOVED the Beatles.. and quite frankly even then kinda considered them the "girl's group" while us guys were listening to the Stones... our parents didn't mind so much the Beatles... they were kinda cuddly and funny and sang songs like Michelle and Til There Was You... but the Stones? whew! that scared the hell out of them! later Hendrix that REALLY scared the hell out of them!

reggae? absolutely! I got to see Black Uhuru in the mid-80s at the Santa Barbara Bowl headlined by King Sunny Ade... what a show! about a year later in San Luis Obispo there was a reggae fest featuring Eek-a-Mouse and Mutuburuka (sp?) which i call "reggae from space"!! LOL! and whole bunch of others I can't remember too much fun i guess! then in the early 90s got to see Culture at a club in Santa Barbara... I'm old school reggae some of the contemporary stuff sounds much too much like rap to me...

okay sorry to be such a blowhard! Shaka!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 07:50 am   Permalink

Was'nt it John Lennon himself who admittted that all the "Be-ins" and "Sit-ins" were just an excuse to meet chicks?

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-10 08:11 am   Permalink

This was the inspiration for this thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17476&forum=6

I am suprised all the Anne Geddes fans on this forum didn't get their little panties in a bunch over it!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-10 2:50 pm   Permalink

Just to keep the cross pollination going...

I didn't create
The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread (A Forum Classics Posts release) just to goad Lucas Vigor.

Admittedly parts of my The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread (A Forum Classics Posts release) were intended to make a couple points in my usual highly hilarious manner:

1. It's irritating when someone gets annoyed with a discussion and goes back and deletes all the posts he/she made. (Particularly annoying if it's a thread he/she started or if it's his/her grand exit from Tiki Central and he/she really want to show us all.)

2. If someone is annoyed with a thread they shouldn't keep contributing to the thread or make calls to have it locked. Just leave the thread be. If it gets bumped up for whatever reason and it's still a sore point, just let it be. If it's no longer a sore point then laugh it off and add to the discussion if you feel you have something worth contributing.

My intent with The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread (A Forum Classics Posts release) wasn't to allude to Lucas Vigor just for the sake of annoying him. In fact the careful reader will note that there are favorable comments made about the original The horror that is the Beatles!! thread. (I don't care for the Beatles much myself though I don't think only they could have brought about the changes in the pop world that happened with and after them.)

I alluded to Lucas Vigor in my The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread (A Forum Classics Posts release) mainly for the sake of citing him as a fictitious creator of a monster over which he no longer had control. This was done merely for humorous intent because as I have already told you all many times: I'm hilarious.

Actually, had I not watched a whole string of old horror movie ads the night before I made The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread (A Forum Classics Posts release) I probably wouldn't have ever addressed Lucas Vigor's The horror that is the Beatles!! thread beyond the really fantastic artwork I contributed to it almost almost four years ago:

And something else to think about: That John Lennon monster would have been 70 years old yesterday.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation