FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food passion fruit syrup vs. passion fruit juice
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
passion fruit syrup vs. passion fruit juice
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 08:10 am   Permalink

Anybody have any idea how much stronger, thicker, sweeter passion fruit syrup is vs. passion fruit juice? Can you boil down the juice and get syrup?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 08:16 am   Permalink

Pappy,
It's like the difference between Hershey's chocolate syrup and chocolate milk. I doubt it's worth the time and effort to even bother trying to reverse engineer.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-05-08 10:26 am   Permalink

Passion fruit syrup is sweeter and tastes more artificial than passion fruit juice or nectar. Few passion fruit syrups contain much or any real passion fruit. Which one you use depends a lot on the drink you are mixing and the effect you want to get. They are not interchangeable.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 2:29 pm   Permalink

Most juices can be boiled down to a syrup, sort of. It depends on the quality of the juice you are starting with. You usually need to add quite a bit of sugar to actually get up to a syrup stage and not just a concentrated juice.

However.... There are less obvious sources for syrups and juices: Try your local asian markets. We have found a wealth of syrups at our local Indian and Pakistani stores. Basically, try any of your ethnic markets, you may be surprised.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 2:38 pm   Permalink

Maybe it's my thick head or maybe it's the cheapskate in me but I'm gonna try boiling some down. I'll have results tonight unless I die in a pasion fruit calamity...

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 6:19 pm   Permalink

I took 32 oz of Goya Passion Fruit juice and simmered it. I added 1/2 cup of sugar and slowly boiled it down to about 8oz. Then, I boiled one of the original bottles (16 oz) and poured the hot "syrup" back in. I'll try to give my honest take on whether it's anything like Trader Vic's. I'll try some in a Mara Amu this week.

KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 09:55 am   Permalink

Yes, it is possible, and I do it all the time. It is cheaper than the artificial stuff, tastes far better, and it is frankly very easy.

I buy this passion fruit juice cocktail in a carton at the grocery. It is a common brand like Minute Maid or something like that (I know it when I see it). Anyway, my thinking is that the syrup I can buy contains zero passion fruit, this juice drink is about 70% white grape juice (aka sugar water) and 30% passion fruit juice/pulp. So by using it, I am getting a product with much more passion fruit than the zero count in the commercial stuff.

I pour the whole carton into a pot on the stove and turn up the heat. Let it reduce by one third, add 3/4 to one pound of high quality white sugar, stir until disolved. Funnel into a bottle, add 4 oz of white rum (preservative), shake, cool, store in the refrigerator.

I can buy the fake stuff, and I have. But nothing comes close to this recipe for the passion fruit flavor quotient, the orangey color, and the fragrance.

Your recipe using all passion fruit juice should work out similarly. Most passion fruit juices are blends or contain water anyway. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 10:51 am   Permalink

I think my first recipe needed more sugar. Otherwise it was great and great fun. Here's my final version:

2 16oz bottles Goya Passion Fruit Juice
3/4 to 1 cup sugar (depends on your taste)

Simmer all 32 oz juice slowly over low heat. When good and hot, add sugar stirring carefully so you don't splash yourself with hot juice. Make sure all sugar dissolves. Once about juice is reduced by 3/4 (8 oz left)shut off stove. Prepare one of the empty bottles by sterilizing it and the cap. (I just put it in a big pot and poured boiling water in it.) While syrup is still hot, pour in bottle and cap. It should have a nice orangy-brown color. Enjoy!

JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 12:50 pm   Permalink

Pappy,
I'm sorry I ever doubted you. haha. I'm going to give that a whirl.
Thanks,
JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-11 5:06 pm   Permalink

Where is a good place to buy passion fruit nectar in the L.A./Orange County area? I've looked in Mexican, Middle Eastern, and Asian markets like 99 Ranch Market and haven't been able to find Goya, Looza, or any other brand anywhere. Do Indian markets carry passion fruit nectar? Where do the Purple Orchid or Tiki-Ti get their passion fruit nectar from?

Mahalo for any help!

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-09-11 8:28 pm   Permalink

Finest Call brand makes a passion fruit puree that is a little thicker than passion fruit juice but works great. Finest Call is available at BevMo usually. Ralph's (supermarket) carries a brand of fruit juices and nectars called CERES (comes in a box) and their passion fruit juice is excellent.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 1:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-11 20:28, PiPhiRho wrote:
Ralph's (supermarket) carries a brand of fruit juices and nectars called CERES (comes in a box) and their passion fruit juice is excellent.

Found Ceres passion fruit juice at a larger Ralphs. It comes in a 33.8oz box for $3.39 and is 100% juice. The ingredients listed passion fruit juice, apple or pear juice. It comes from South Africa.

Found Goya Passion fruit nectar in a can at Valu Plus Food Warehouse supermarket. It contains 8% fruit juice and 92% sugar water. It was .69 per can.

http://www.goya.com/english/products/product.html?prodSubCatID=16&prodCatID=5

Kerns nectars seem to run 12 - 32% fruit juice.

The Goya nectars are not located next to Kerns and Jumex nectars, they are on completely different isles.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 2:21 pm   Permalink

Ceres is good stuff. All their juices are excellent, though boxed. We find them here at our health food markets. A little more expensive but available all the time.

---------------------------------
ASININITY NE PLUS ULTRA!!
(with a nice ver blanc and some sherry)

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-10 1:53 pm   Permalink

As a side note, I discovered two different Trader Vic's recipes for the same drink, Foul Weather, one using passion fruit syrup and the other using passion fruit nectar.

In "Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide" (1972) the recipe is:

-1 oz orange juice
-1 oz lemon juice
-1/2 oz passion fruit nectar
-1 dash vanilla
-1 dash sugar syrup
-1 oz Jamaica rum
-1 oz light Puerto Rican rum

Pour over ice in a tall highball glass. Sir well. Decorate with fresh mint and a fruit stick.

The recipe for this cocktail on TV's web site is the same, except that it calls for 1 oz passion fruit syrup rather than the nectar.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2007-02-10 13:54 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-11 06:34 am   Permalink

My local stupid-markets both cary Goya products . . . but no passion fruit juice or nectar. I'm going to head into a nearby 'ethnic' area to check their local Mom & Pop Grocery . . . but I'll have to be armed for that!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation