Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Can somebody help me out with associating
Can somebody help me out with associating
EvilPat

Posted: 2006-05-09 04:01 am   Permalink

Hi there,

My name is Patrick and Im from Germany. Im new in posting here, but already read a lot in the last weeks. I just have a short question:

Can somebody tell me what kind of Tiki this is and where Tikis like that were found:

http://www.skullshop.de/acvintage/blacktiki11m.jpg
http://www.skullshop.de/acvintage/blacktiki21m.jpg

The shop-owner told that it is a Maori-Tiki. But Im not sure, because I never saw one with a long head like that. Just some masks looking like that and they are from africa I think. Or is it just a fantasy-Tiki with no cultural background?

View Profile of EvilPat Send a personal message to EvilPat  Goto the website of EvilPat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 05:39 am   Permalink

not maori.
maybe indonesian?

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 07:28 am   Permalink

I agree with Tiki Chris. I could see where the owner may mistaken the moko type markings on the face, but it isn't Maori. Probably indonesian,like TC said.

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 1:23 pm   Permalink

I have seen these on German e-bay, and its another case of the pan-Asian Tiki scam, one of my pet peeves:

These are neither Tiki, nor are they vintage. It's just dealers taking advantage of Tiki-poor countries and their needy citizens. Seeing a chance to cash in on the Tiki revival with cheap Asian import wares, they buy mass-produced tourist carvings and falsely offer them under the TIKI label (even pretending that they are of Maori origin, in this case!)

Paul Theroux rightly referred to this genre of carvings as "nameless pieces of hacked wood".

If you want real Tikis, you will not find them for cheap. For well-crafted Polynesian pop god-heads in Germany, go to
http://forbidden-paradise.com

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
J.S.G.
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-09 9:27 pm   Permalink

what a great conehead...whatever country it's from! I can feel it's energy, it has power. I wonder what kind of wood it's made out of.

View Profile of J.S.G. Send a personal message to J.S.G.  Email J.S.G. Goto the website of J.S.G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation