Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
East Coast ~vs~ West Coast
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 9:04 pm   Permalink

First, this is a drunken post.

Second, I was drinking like I was in an Irish Pub

First, Since I was drinking at home I cant really punch someone in the nose

So, I think I was trying to count.......

I have noticed something through the bottom of my cocktail glass and that is a kind of East Coast ~vs~ West Coast vibe with the people here. Not as drastic, yet, as the E-v-W Rapper battle, but enough that I fear drive-by Mai Tais. The upgrades recently served as a kind of beacon to that fact. And some bacon sounds really good right now. I'll be right back...

The new divisions for events is 'California' and then 'everyone else.' While I realize that there are far more Tiki people in California, that doesn't lessen the number of Tiki people elsewhere. Here in South Florida we have the second largest community of Pacific Islanders outside of the Pacific Islands, but we don't get much mention. 'Even Thursdays' and 'Mondays at Tiki Ti' get more eyes here than our local Polynesian Fest. "You" guys may have the Tiki Ti, but "We" have the Mai-Kai. "You" guys may have Trader Vics SF/Emeryville/Palo Alto, but "We" have an ocean you can get into with protective gear.

I could go on, but my current level of alchol prevents it. Maybe I am just drunk (I am), but I have talked with others and they agree that I am drunk. I think they were trying to agree with my observation of the different coasts, but I forgot what the question was.

Talk amongst yourselves. East ~VS~ West. Bilge ~VS~ Delete the thread. Banishment to the Dry Counties of Florida.........

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 10:20 pm   Permalink

I don't get that vibe at all. Yes, there are East Coast events and West Coast events and I daresay even Midwest events and for a time there it seemed there were even Canadian events and I certainly hope to see more of European and Australian events. But I have never gotten the faintest whiff that one event was superior to another because of geography. The only thing that ever crossed my mind was darn, I wish I could be there, too. How could there possibly be elitism to this thing called tiki? That would be like saying West Coast TV watchers are superior to East Coast TV watchers even though they're watching the exact same thing. Come to think of it, Chip and Andy, thou Florida-dweller, thou, your state contains the Mai-Kai, which has the last great Polynesian floor show, and while I envy the fact that you can see this much more readily than I, I don't think you're superior because of it. So you're just drunk and God bless you, and after all I'm not that far behind. Next stage for us both: pink tikis coming out of the walls. I hope.

Oh, Mother! The blood! The blood!

[ This Message was edited by: Satan's Sin 2006-05-09 22:23 ]

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 10:25 pm   Permalink

Well, all the west coast people have to do to reach the Marquesas Islands or Hawaii is to jump into the ocean and start swimming west, so there is a more immediate physical proximity for them. The east coasters have to jump into the Atlantic, start swimming south, and then veer through the Panama Canal, before reaching the same destination -- and so many people who might attempt this journey are not properly mentally prepared, and get sidetracked, and end up instead in Key West and Buffetville.

But just as the person who most appreciates a soft bed is a traveler who has spent many long and difficult hours on the road, the East Coasters might appreciate the final rewards of tiki more. But in this case, it might be the Midwesterners, who are the furthest from either ocean, who will thus appreciate tiki the best. Or those who live in the northern European countries. There is probably some Martian, or Saturnian, or Uranusian, unknown to any of us, who is the most dedicated of us all, who has the most amazing tiki/space age pad of us all.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 12:01 am   Permalink

Come on Chip!
The Mai Kai sucks!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 06:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-10 00:01, Unga Bunga wrote:
Come on Chip!
The Mai Kai sucks!

Not when you are seeing it through the bottom of your cocktail........

Holy Empties, Batman! What did we do to my bar last night? And just where did this Sun thing come from? It has to go, it hurts!

When the fog in my head clears a bit I will have to go back through this post and try and remember the point I was trying to make, if I had one....

And yes, it was way more than Pink Tiki's dancing on the walls. On my head, on my bed. You know it was a good night if you lay down and have to hang on to keep from falling off......

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-11 10:49 am   Permalink

I'm personally amazed you were able to type in such a state. Hell, I'm impressed you were able to find your PC.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 07:53 am   Permalink

I hate the west.
I hate everybody who lives there or is from there.

I hate them so much I have to travel there often just to seethe.

Oh, I'll drink their little Tiki Ti drinks just to prove how much they suck.

And I'll visit their tiki bars just to steal something from them.

And I'll hang out with goofy freaks like Rev. Bamboo Ben and PolyPop and Humuhumu and Martiki just so I can repeatedly tell them how much I hate them.

But that's it.

Oh yeah, I left out Dr. Z and the Hoity Toties. I hate them too. Especially that Sperm Whale guy. Eaarrrghhhhhoooo, what the hell is that?

Them and their stupid hospitality and vintage everything.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus 2006-05-12 07:55 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 08:11 am   Permalink

Wait a minute... there's an East coast?!?

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 08:56 am   Permalink

Otto will play the part of Sug Knight, Sven as Tupac and Pablus as Biggy, though getting smaller. They'll have a drive by at the Trader Vic's opening in Las Vegas and no one will see who put the whiskey in Sven's Mai Tai, not even Otto who was sitting next to him.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 09:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-12 08:11, Matt Reese wrote:
Wait a minute... there's an East coast?!?

there's actually a handful of worthwhile things east of las vegas...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 10:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-09 21:04, Chip and Andy wrote:
First, Since I was drinking at home I cant really punch someone in the nose

"The first rule of Mai-Tai Fight Club is you don't talk about Mai-Tai Fight Club..."
Quote:

On 2006-05-09 22:20, Satan's Sin wrote:
I don't get that vibe at all. Yes, there are East Coast events and West Coast events and I daresay even Midwest events and for a time there it seemed there were even Canadian events and I certainly hope to see more of European and Australian events. But I have never gotten the faintest whiff that one event was superior to another because of geography. The only thing that ever crossed my mind was darn, I wish I could be there, too. How could there possibly be elitism to this thing called tiki? That would be like saying West Coast TV watchers are superior to East Coast TV watchers even though they're watching the exact same thing. Come to think of it, Chip and Andy, thou Florida-dweller, thou, your state contains the Mai-Kai, which has the last great Polynesian floor show, and while I envy the fact that you can see this much more readily than I, I don't think you're superior because of it. So you're just drunk and God bless you, and after all I'm not that far behind. Next stage for us both: pink tikis coming out of the walls. I hope.

Yeah? Well, whadda you know? You're from IB! ("North County in the Hizz-ouse!")

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-05-12 10:09 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 1:24 pm   Permalink

Johnny, you do know I was kidding, right?

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-12 13:24, Matt Reese wrote:
Johnny, you do know I was kidding, right?

you know i was kidding, right?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 2:52 pm   Permalink

I do now. Thanks. These things can get out of hand sooo easily. Cheers.

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 8:56 pm   Permalink

you're so money and you don't even know it

VEGAS!!!1

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation