FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge East Coast ~vs~ West Coast
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
East Coast ~vs~ West Coast
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-13 12:48 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-05-12 10:06, freddiefreelance wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

On 2006-05-09 22:20, Satan's Sin wrote:
I don't get that vibe at all. Yes, there are East Coast events and West Coast events and I daresay even Midwest events and for a time there it seemed there were even Canadian events and I certainly hope to see more of European and Australian events. But I have never gotten the faintest whiff that one event was superior to another because of geography. The only thing that ever crossed my mind was darn, I wish I could be there, too. How could there possibly be elitism to this thing called tiki? That would be like saying West Coast TV watchers are superior to East Coast TV watchers even though they're watching the exact same thing. Come to think of it, Chip and Andy, thou Florida-dweller, thou, your state contains the Mai-Kai, which has the last great Polynesian floor show, and while I envy the fact that you can see this much more readily than I, I don't think you're superior because of it. So you're just drunk and God bless you, and after all I'm not that far behind. Next stage for us both: pink tikis coming out of the walls. I hope.

Yeah? Well, whadda you know? You're from IB! ("North County in the Hizz-ouse!")

Satan's Sin, are you gonna take that shit layin' down? Imperial Beach is a veritable garden of unearthed delights (or somethin').

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WenikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-14 08:19 am   Permalink

I think I get your point on this topic... Many people seem to be all about where they are from. As a person on their 31st lifetime move, thanks to a military father, stint in the military myself, and now being a military wife I notice stuff like that!

My Mom comes to visit and says really dumb things like "That isn't how we do it in Spokane". Many people, cultures, places claim to have their own unique customs. Like on the news here in Hawaii, they show people running for office and their supporters standing on corners and waving, and they always say "Our unique Hawaiian custom". I laugh about that, because I've seen that done in not only every state of the union, but in every foreign country I've been in (23 and counting).

View Profile of WenikiTiki Send a personal message to WenikiTiki  Email WenikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 7:46 pm   Permalink

Tiki people in CA?!! I haven't seen one and I've been looking.

I just perused the national events and there's a LOT going on. Tiki fun can be had by whomever, wherever. As a Left Coaster, I can't wait to visit some of the Right Coast Tiki haunts, bars, etc. At this point, I've heard so much about Hukilau that it sounds like one of the best events in the country. Can't wait to go.

What's great about Tiki Central is that everyone gets to enjoy Tiki nationally and internationally. The sum equals the whole. It's the Ohana spirit. And when we meet in person it's even more fun.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 6:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-01 19:46, Coco Loco wrote:
What's great about Tiki Central is that everyone gets to enjoy Tiki nationally and internationally. The sum equals the whole. It's the Ohana spirit. And when we meet in person it's even more fun.

Guess what!

I've been drinking again!

And digging around in the bottom of my list of posts reliving something that I was talking ab..... Oh yeah!

I added the emphasis to the quote above because it caught my eye. Tiki Central is just a place that fills the time in between the times I get to hang out with the Ohana. Face to face, glass of something yummy, smiles and giggles.....

That is why I so excited about
Ohana coming this fall. The name says it all!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-05 7:47 pm   Permalink

Good topic resurrection. Beyond the East vs West or North vs South...here I sit in the Capital of California and there isn't a Tiki Bar in sight. I am destined to commute extreme distances for decent Tiki ambiance and cocktails...yada yada yada, I could go on but it is too depressing. My first-born for a Monkey Pod right now!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 8:04 pm   Permalink

I am so glad I moved away from the East coast and to the West coast--but only because after 20+ years I was done with the hurricane season. I would much rather be shakin with an earthquake then sweating with no power and eating peanut butter and jelly during some "no name storm" that is ruining my weekend.

The bonus is of course the close proximity to some great bars with delicious cocktails and some kick arse tiki hunting grounds.

The West coast is the best coast because at least I am now one of those people who watch the weather report for the nation and just say "Oh look I think Florida may be getting hit with another hurricane-oh well what do we have saved on TiVo?" as oppossed to the 24 hour vigil I used to give as the wind and rain and flooding set it.

Viva la California! Pour me another zombie and let the shakin begin!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 9:59 pm   Permalink

There's an East coast?

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 03:34 am   Permalink

Naw, it's a myth. There's nothing east of Vegas. Except for perilous dragons.

Chip, let us know how bright the sun is in the morning.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 09:54 am   Permalink

What's the beef? Is this between Waianae and Kailua? East coast / west coast?
Dudes! Look outside! You drive around in a big circles here, in case you didn't notice.
So where's this New York? I can't find New york or Los Angeles on my Oahu map.
Are you people making this up?
Waianae does have most of the homeless, but I don't see many other differences.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 10:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-06 09:54, HelloTiki wrote:
What's the beef? Is this between Waianae and Kailua? East coast / west coast?
Dudes! Look outside! You drive around in a big circles here, in case you didn't notice.
So where's this New York? I can't find New york or Los Angeles on my Oahu map.
Are you people making this up?
Waianae does have most of the homeless, but I don't see many other differences.

Yeah I checked my BRYAN'S STREET ATLAS and no more NY or LA on my map. Only get Palolo, Kaimuki, Manoa, Makiki, etc...

[ This Message was edited by: professahhummingflowah 2010-02-10 10:29 ]

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 10:42 am   Permalink

East Coast vs. West Coast ?

How about Northern Ca vs. Southern Ca ? (In one corner you have Forbidden Island and Smuggler's Cove vs......).

Even better, Los Angeles vs. Orange County.

Or even Tonga Hut vs. DTBC since they seem to draw separate tribes of So CA Tikiphiles. TV would be neutral, kind of like Switzerland (and I don't think anyone goes to Tiki-Ti anymore). Now is the time to choose sides.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-10 3:01 pm   Permalink

I think some areas tend to have a stronger concentration of extreme opinion or even lack-there-of and that brings into question the "Nature or Nurture" factor of the spread. My first inclination was to look at geological factors such as exposure to extreme heat causing higher rum consumption or exposure to extreme ideology causing....higher rum consumption or possibly strange gaseous leaks seeping up through cracks in the earth or periods of isolation due to Winter....all leading to....you know.

What we need to do is have a few annual events and drink together, maybe even a thumb war or two! Now THAT is an idea. There could be music and stuff.

I have lived all over including Boston, The Caribbean, The "Bay Area", and Florida. While Florida Does have more Old People... Cali has WAY more aliens. So ....mind control and body snatching could also be playing a part.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 11:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-10 10:42, JOHN-O wrote:
East Coast vs. West Coast ?

How about Northern Ca vs. Southern Ca ? (In one corner you have Forbidden Island and Smuggler's Cove vs......).

Even better, Los Angeles vs. Orange County.

Or even Tonga Hut vs. DTBC since they seem to draw separate tribes of So CA Tikiphiles. TV would be neutral, kind of like Switzerland (and I don't think anyone goes to Tiki-Ti anymore). Now is the time to choose sides.

OH You do love to stir the pot don't you John?
don't even get me started, I have enough enemies.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 12:10 am   Permalink

Can't we all just get along?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 08:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-10 23:32, bigtikidude wrote:
OH You do love to stir the pot don't you John?
don't even get me started, I have enough enemies.

Jeff(btd)

Don't be a martyr,Jeff.
No one will notice...

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation