FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Big Polynesian Exhibit in Norwich, UK
Big Polynesian Exhibit in Norwich, UK
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-13 01:22 am   Permalink

Running from 21 May - 13 August, this exhibit at the Sainsbury's Centre for Visual Arts sounds awesome:

... for the first time, important Polynesian material from British and other collections will be brought together for a major exhibition which will substantially extend appreciation of one of the world's great art traditions. Presenting rare and visually stunning god-images, sculptures, ornaments, textiles and valuables to a wide audience, this exhibition will explore Polynesia during the early period of contact with European voyagers, missionaries and settlers.

More here:
http://rapanuinews.blogspot.com/2006/05/polynesian-exhibit-in-norwich-uk.html

Let me know if anybody wants to make plans to go.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki chris 2006-05-22 15:51 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-13 09:02 am   Permalink

I think most of these are items on loan from the British Museaum, and it's nice to see they are going to see the light of day as they are usually in storage in North London.
After they are done with in Norwich they are to go to the New permanent Oceanic exhibition at the British museum, due to open later this year.
When are you thinking of going? We may well come along

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-13 10:31 am   Permalink

name the date!
we'd love the company.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-15 12:55 am   Permalink

We'll be up for a school trip.

Just need a note from my mum.

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-23 05:26 am   Permalink

I'll be in London for the Luau and will be staying fairly close in Southampton so I will be able to come up for the day if any of you are going together. PM me and let me know!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-31 06:09 am   Permalink

went to this exhibition yesterday. wow. phenomenal. only 2 weeks left. if you can go, go!

read more here:
http://tikichris.blogspot.com/2006/07/pacific-encountered.html

can't go? see if you can get a copy of the catalogue (by british museum press). i'd rank it up there w/ the best oceanic art books.

rapanuinews.blogspot.com

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation