FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Beachnik's Carvings (UPDATED 1/11/07)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Beachnik's Carvings (UPDATED 1/11/07)
Beachnik
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-15 12:33 am   Permalink

I would like to say how stoked I am to have stumbled across TC a few months ago and became a member immediately. The info available is overwhelming, but in a good way! I am not new to tiki, just new to TC. Thank's for letting me in!

Started carving about ten years ago as a student of a Hungarian master carver named Bela Ferencz. I was bitten by the carving bug and carved with Bela for about 3 years. As most can probably relate, job, family,and school took most of my time and sapped all the carving time from me. I would think about it everyday...I missed the cuts and splinters! I decided to get back into carving this past January and jumped in full blast! This time, I would use what knowledge I have about oceanic art/tiki and let the carving begin.

My first tiki. Took a long time using all small chisels. I even stripped the palm with a chisel...what a rookie!

My second experiment. The log was in really bad shape when I started and progressively got worst.

My Pele relief panel.

Starting my third tiki.I was inspired by Tiki Jungle. Thanks bro!

Finished product ready for my back yard.

The fourth project...My first dealing with a open mouth...help!

The fifth piece...kind of evolved while carving.

Finished this Maori/abstract?? piece today. More tung oil tomorrow.

I have some ideas in my head for the next couple of pieces. Need to secure the lumber. Will post pics when getting started.

Thanks to all the tiki carvers at TC for the inspiration to get back into the obsession we all have!
Beachnik

[ This Message was edited by: Beachnik 2006-05-22 21:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Beachnik 2006-05-22 22:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Beachnik 2006-06-06 22:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Beachnik 2006-12-05 20:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Beachnik 2007-01-11 22:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Beachnik 2007-01-11 22:06 ]

View Profile of Beachnik Send a personal message to Beachnik  Email Beachnik     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachnik
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-15 12:56 am   Permalink

After posting I found out how small the pictures were. Either I need to break out the magnifying glass or figure out how to make them bigger. The latter sounds better. Any advice?? I will repost pics at a viewable size shortly. What a way to start out at TC....Help!

Mahalo in advance,
Beachnik

View Profile of Beachnik Send a personal message to Beachnik  Email Beachnik     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-15 04:18 am   Permalink

Hey welcome to TC!

I think you picked the link for a thumbnail size pic, not fullsize link (or the original pics were tiny!).

Hard to make out detail but they look pretty good man!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachnik
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-15 10:16 am   Permalink

Hey TC, got my act together and figured out how to post FULL size pics. Heres five months worth of work filling my house!

Mahalo,
Beachnik

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-15 11:17 am   Permalink

That's better! You look like a natural carver! I dig the outriggeresque fella at the bottom. Go So-Cal!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-15 7:11 pm   Permalink

NICE work...you're a natural..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-16 12:21 am   Permalink

Love the Pele relief panel!
All your stuff has a great clean look to it.
Keep up the great work!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-16 09:00 am   Permalink

Really nice sruff Beachnik. For your first few back, these are Really tight and the detail is nice and crisp. Excellent job. Looking forward to some great carvings from you..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-16 6:02 pm   Permalink

I taught him everything he knows!!.....well , not really, but I hope my tiki ravings during my haircuts (yes, he carves people too) were a little spark to get him motivated!. You should see his "real" carvings, way scary amounts of talent and the nicest guy around. Welcome.TWT

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-05-16 6:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

great rendition of JT's homage to The Tikis! THis one rocks. what is that the tiki is leaning on??? Gallows????

Welcome aboard, matey, you ever do any tiki haircuts?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachnik
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-16 10:41 pm   Permalink

Hey everybody,thanks for checking out my pieces. I'm stoked that you guys enjoyed the carvings. Sharing the same passion for tiki is what it's all about and I look forward to letting the wood chips fly.

And yes, that is a stockade holding the large tiki. I removed the top locking portion of the stock for my own protection. It is mighty uncomfortable I do say!

Mahalo,
Beachnik

tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-17 01:11 am   Permalink

Hey welcome to the carving scene on TC - great to see your work - the details are really getting fined tuned - keep it up!

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-05-17 09:16 am   Permalink

right...stockade, not gallows...a gallow is what you hang people on. That'd be kinda kreepy if you had one of those in your back yard. THanks for the correction! I gotta keep my terminology right. cool tikis and good luck with your palm search, I'm sure you'll find some. You can also call local tree trimmers too, if you don't find any on the side of the street.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachnik
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-17 10:22 pm   Permalink

Hey Marcus, thanks for the welcome mat! I'm checking out a few books on the Maori to get some mask ideas. Your part of the planet is the place to be...Australia and New Zealand yeaaaa!
Polynesiac, not a bad idea to have a gallows in my yard to go with the stockade. You can never have to many creepy things laying around the yard! By the way, were you at Tiki Oasis showing your wares in the tent? If that was you, you had a lot of very cool tikis on display. I was there on Sunday and had a blast.

Beachnik

Beachnik
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-22 10:03 pm   Permalink

Started this maori over the weekend with some old hardwood I found in my woodpile. Hard as concrete!

Need to finish the tats and texture tomorrow. I just picked up a new V-tool and used it on this one. Like cutting coco butter in the tropical sun! Anybody have ideas on what to put on as a finish to come as close as I can with the original? Doesn't help that the wood is so dark! Let me know.

This is a basswood panel of a war canoe I am starting. Can you tell one of the warriors jumped over board? He should be in the second to last spot. I totally ruined him...well, that is what glue is for! Will show the finished pix as they happen.

Worked some more at it since last update. Getting there!

Later,
Beachnik

[ This Message was edited by: Beachnik 2006-05-22 22:34 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation