FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Beachnik's Carvings (UPDATED 1/11/07)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Beachnik's Carvings (UPDATED 1/11/07)
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 09:33 am   Permalink

Nice work, keep the Tiki's a comin'.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-06 1:06 pm   Permalink

awesome work keep at it

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachnik
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-11 10:01 pm   Permalink

Hey TC faithful!
First of all, I would like to thank Marcus, Frostiki, Matt, Jungle Trader, Benzart, McTiki and Lake Surfer for their words of encouragement on my last posting of pics. I look forward to checking in with the crew when I can! Here are projects I carved for friends in late December based on their favorite images.

This mask is 16 inch tall by 14 inch wide. Flat on back for wall hanging. 3 coats of polyurethane over natural palm.

24 tall by 16 wide, also flat on back. Cherry stain on palm with 3 coats of clear lacquer. Was not the finish I was looking for, but that's what experiments are for!

These are 2.5 to 3 inches tall. I purchased my first hook knife and really didn't have a clue how to really use it properly, but these are the outcome. Wasn't sure if I was to pull knife toward me or away, but the wood was flying like crazy. I'll search sight for help on that subject!

Think I'll have a rum drink with my lacquer buzz!!

Beachnik

View Profile of Beachnik Send a personal message to Beachnik  Email Beachnik     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 09:09 am   Permalink

Cool lookin Stuff Beachnik! Next time you start a carving, take some progress shots and show us How you do them, what tools and stuff like that. Thanks

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 10:31 am   Permalink

Great stuff Beachnik! I like the finish on the squat guy, what were you trying for? I really like how he pops out from the darker background.
Good job on the hook knife too! Sometimes I do towards me, sometimes away. I try to keep my thumb on the carving as much as possible as a pivot point as you get more control. The most important thing is to watch where your other fingers are, make sure they're not in the way if your blade does keep going. I'm sure others have more info, but those are the best tips I picked up from Benzart at the Oki Oki.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 11:32 am   Permalink

Looking good Beachnik! Love the clean lines on the Tang... one of my favorite styles. Sometimes less is more on tikis.
The others are looking good also. Keep it up!

Git yerself one of these... fairly inexpensive and will reduce those headaches and possible health problems in the future. Especially if you're working in close quarters.
I use mine all the time now.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 5:42 pm   Permalink

Nice, I love your style.

I have a hook knife, and don't know how to use it either. But by the looks of it, you have it down.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachnik
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-12 9:53 pm   Permalink

It's great to be able to check in at TC two days in a row!

Benzart- Thanks for checking out my projects. I am constantly looking for my missing digital camera when I'm working on pieces,thanks to my daughter who likes to BORROW the camera when I need it most. I'll make a point to hide the camera 24 hours before carving to throw her of track! More pics to come.

Mieko- I was at a hardware store to buy some polyurethane when I came across the lacquer on sale. I had never used lacquer before but I figured "What the heck". The moral to my story...If you want a polyurethane finish, use polyurethane! Thanks for the hook knife info too. It is a little knife with major cutting power! I am already thankful I bought a bullet proof safety glove when that knife ran down my hand!

Lake Surfer- Yea, the Tang is a very cool traditional style. Thanks for the tip on the respirator...I plan on getting one asap. I was using the lacquer on Monday evening, outdoors,and in the Malibu burning wind and still accidently got loaded on the fumes! Made watching the National Championship interesting.

JohnnyP- Thanks for checking out the pics. That hook knife is something else. At this point, everything is experimental with it. I love the fact that it removes wood so quickly. I'll put it to use this weekend and hope I still have 10 fingers on Monday!

Beachnik

View Profile of Beachnik Send a personal message to Beachnik  Email Beachnik     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation