FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki How are you promoting Tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
How are you promoting Tiki?
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 8:24 pm   Permalink

I converted a Jehovah's Witness to Tiki.

True story, she was one of my coworkers. After seeing the tiki mugs and stuff I keep around the store, and hearing me play exotica music she decided to throw her husband a tiki themed anniversary party. I gave her copies of Martin Denny's Exotica and the Tikiyaki Orchestra's StereoExotique, as well as drink recipes for Mai Tais and Navy Grogs. I'm thinking about going out on Saturday mornings to spread Tiki around my neighborhood. "Excuse me ma'am, have you read the book of Tiki?"

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 9:15 pm   Permalink

How do I promote tiki??

I be myself.

Kinda like Bob and LeRoy.

And I hope it will pay off in the future for everyone now and beyond!!!

Check out my "new website" for my portfolio!!!
www.bambooben.com

p.s. how did i miss this thread??!!! classic stuff!!!!!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 10:29 pm   Permalink

With a full penis tiki tattoo!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 12:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-04 20:24, Jason Wickedly wrote:
I converted a Jehovah's Witness to Tiki.

True story, she was one of my coworkers. After seeing the tiki mugs and stuff I keep around the store, and hearing me play exotica music she decided to throw her husband a tiki themed anniversary party. I gave her copies of Martin Denny's Exotica and the Tikiyaki Orchestra's StereoExotique, as well as drink recipes for Mai Tais and Navy Grogs. I'm thinking about going out on Saturday mornings to spread Tiki around my neighborhood. "Excuse me ma'am, have you read the book of Tiki?"

That is spreading the Tiki love.
You should. After all, the BOT is the "good book."

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 3:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-04 22:29, msteeln wrote:
With a full penis tiki tattoo!

er, you win.. Congrats!

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 4:38 pm   Permalink

I was Commodore of our Bayview Boat Club, last year. The last event of the season is the Commodore's Ball, in February. It's a formal/semi- dress event, and gives the outgoing commodore/officers a chance to throw a big party to celebrate the past year. I chose a tiki theme (of course). It was held at the Shriner's hall, in Garland. There's a display case with a fez from every Shrine in N. America, so that even subtly played into that tiki/fez association (even if I was the only one who "got it").
The DJ was great, and came prepared with lots of Hawaiian and Exotica, which played as background during cocktail hour and dinner. I gave the caterer the recipe for
"Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers", which were served, along with prime rib. I hired a couple of dancers, who put on a much-better-than-I-expected hula show, after dinner.
We buy and bring all the liquor, and the bartenders are paid by the hour (and tips). I spent $1000 at the liquor store, and you can bet there was some rum(s)! I gave the bartenders recipes for a selection of tiki cocktails, and, well,... they tried. Guests got a souvenir mug (from Dynasty).
Don't know if I made any devout converts, but everyone had a good time, and several club "oldtimers" told me privately that it was the best Ball they've been to. Anyways, here's some links to what happened:
Commodore's Ball description
More pictures of the event

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-06-05 16:59 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 5:02 pm   Permalink

THIS is how you promote Tiki !

JasonWickedly, I like your way too. Tikiyaki at a Jehovah's Witness Party...Awesome !

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2008-06-05 17:04 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijoeusaf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-13 07:31 am   Permalink

I've often thought about doing a small presentation at the local history museum on the subject of mid-century Polynesian Pop culture in America.

Has anyone else done anything similar? Either with friends or publicly?

View Profile of tikijoeusaf Send a personal message to tikijoeusaf  Goto the website of tikijoeusaf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-13 11:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-13 07:31, tikijoeusaf wrote:
I've often thought about doing a small presentation at the local history museum on the subject of mid-century Polynesian Pop culture in America.

Has anyone else done anything similar? Either with friends or publicly?

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21353&forum=1&hilite=Museum exhibit

Again, my friend, the search feature can introduce you to all kinds of informative posts reflecting similar thoughts, ideas and the like. Search and you will seek what you are looking for!

PTD

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-06-13 11:15 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-13 12:59 pm   Permalink

logo?

[ This Message was edited by: sneakyjack 2008-06-14 06:45 ]

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 10:55 am   Permalink

As someone who is trying to keep a Tiki torch burning in the Washington, DC area (see Tiki Thirstday in Other Events), I'm giving this thread a bump. For two years (2006-2008) this was a fairly active thread, it is a good topic and worth a revisit.

I'm curious as to what others are doing, or have recently done.
Tiki Thirstday, in my case, is a weekly Tiki social night out that we have at a restaurant in the DC area. It started with a few regulars who often socialize together over Tiki drinks and rum, sometimes at restaurants, sometimes at our homes. Like so many here, we grumble about Trader Vic's' that have closed, and why aren't there more Tiki bars. Four months ago we decided to do something local and see if we could gather the local people we knew were still active (those who go to the big national events), the locals who used to be active, and people with no idea about Tiki, MCM or Poly Pop.

We started with a dozen people to organize, and we decided to give it a roll. All of us would try to go as often as possible so that when we did start posting on Tiki sites and Facebook, people coming to check it out would always find a least a some Tikiphiles there to socialize with. Our kickoff on March 20th was great, we had 36 people make it. As you can image the numbers ebb and flow each week. On the low side it is in the mid-teens, on the high side well over 30. Last night we had our 15th Tiki Thirstday and we had our largest turnout yet, 39 "merry souls." Our overall average for the last 15 weeks is now 26. And since May 29th we've had over 150 (total attendance not unique visitors).

None of this is meant to be bragging. Why I'm posting is to share that it is worth giving a try. It may not be "build it and they will come," but it could be "if you and your friends keep showing up, others will too." Don't underestimate the interest that a dozen or so people in Tiki shirts will generate. Almost every week at Tiki Thirstday I get asked by people over in the adjoining dining room "what is Tiki?" And the best thing is, a surprising number of those who ask end up joining us the next week or the week after.

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 11:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-16 01:14, lanikai wrote:
I go door to door throughout neighborhoods with little flyers inquiring if the occupants have heard the true word lately.

Oh great, I never thought of that! Im going out now!!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 1:03 pm   Permalink

Lol...

not much.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-27 2:53 pm   Permalink

It's easy to tell all your friends, and show photos, of the fun you have had at various tiki gatherings. Many of my friends know lots about tiki now, and about 6 have joined me at various Hukilaus. I don't hammer the core tiki culture and urban archaeology into their heads. Instead I tell them about the GREAT music, food, drinks, and people. Then I show them photos, take them to my home bar, etc. and the light eventually goes on.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 3:19 pm   Permalink

It's not hard when there is fine cocktails involved
But I am always recruiting Vintage & Poly-pop minded
folks for my Tiki Army, which is needed to kick out all those annoying Hipsters
from our cool bars.....It is true, Hipsters have found out about Tiki!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation