FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » How are you promoting Tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
How are you promoting Tiki?
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-27 10:21 pm   Permalink

I love it when old threads like this get resurrected...lot's to read through. I am not a "promoter" except for looping my bff in several years ago. Everyone I know is aware I have a Tiki passion, and if they ask about it I do try to help them understand it as a genre with a strong history in the arts. In general it is now an international community of artisans that paint, sew, blend, author, carve, play music, make mugs, build, etc. to keep Tiki and Poly-Pop alive.

We all know it is really about the cocktails though!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 08:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-27 22:21, VampiressRN wrote:
I love it when old threads like this get resurrected...lot's to read through. I am not a "promoter" except for looping my bff in several years ago. Everyone I know is aware I have a Tiki passion, and if they ask about it I do try to help them understand it as a genre with a strong history in the arts. In general it is now an international community of artisans that paint, sew, blend, author, carve, play music, make mugs, build, etc. to keep Tiki and Poly-Pop alive.

We all know it is really about the cocktails though!!!

Which I think is great (hic). Someone's passion may be carving, but they love the drinks. Another's might be Exotica, but they love the drinks (hic), and so it goes in every facet of Tiki. Cocktails seem to be the hub for all the spokes of the Tiki wheel.

Not that there aren't a few, and there is nothing wrong with choosing to abstain, but generally speaking there aren't too many teatotalers in the Tiki world.

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-07-02 10:00 ]

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 08:22 am   Permalink

I do what I can on instagram and on twitter. I'm fairly new to the community, but it's nice to showcase a culture that's interesting and has a good history behind it.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-28 08:22 am   Permalink

Only here can we see "carving" and "blending" intertwined!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 10:26 am   Permalink

"TOTAL" Tiki Scene:

In what Christi White described the Tiki culture breakdown as 60%(Drinks) & 40%(Whole Scene) I'm in the last category. My attraction is the period history, music, décor, drinks & fashion combination that creates the "TOTAL" escapism environment for me.

Wearing Aloha Shirts on an almost daily basis is like my way of bearing witness for the Tiki culture. You would be surprised those shirts get conversations started that can lead to talking about the Tiki culture!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 11:20 am   Permalink

Http://thetikipedia.com

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-06-28 11:21 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 11:33 am   Permalink

I think trying to quantify "what is tiki" with math and percentages is kinda futile as I think it's something different to everyone..

to me, the drink thing is a small part of it, because I just drink rum on ice so that part is simple. to me it's more about art & history... but that doesn't negate anyone else's trip... that's just what's important to me.

and to seriously answer the question at hand... I make a LOT of tikis.. numerically speaking, I probably make more than anyone else in the state... I have, and am in the process of, bringing tikis back to some of the historical places here in the sunshine state... sometimes for free...

here are the ones I did for the Tahitian Inn in Tampa, a local polynesian themed motel that has been in since 52'...

I am somewhat stalled, but trying to bring a few tikis to the beach access which used to be the historic TIKI GARDENS in Indian Rocks Beach... also have discussed things with the old outrigger,,, so that "pot is still on the stove"..

And I regularly donate tikis to local charities in the company's name (surf soul tiki)... and do live carves at their events for free.

I have given many tikis away to people who were really stoked on 'em and couldn't afford 'em, just to show some aloha...

I am also a figure at a local childrens charity called "faces of courage", which is a charity that benefits poor kids with cancer & blood disorders and their families... I'm "the guy with the truck and tools who gets stuff done" that the director & the other women who run the organization call when they need help... I am also the "heavy" who keeps the older boys in line... I put the company name before mine in all of this just so people have a positive association with our genre...

I also offer my assistance to anyone trying to throw a "tiki" event, free of charge, just to help them make it a little more "tiki"... and less spam crap...

I am also in the process of working out the details of doing a large Hawaiian Ku as a pearl harbor memorial which I will donate and put in the ground at one of the local veterans parks... I have to do it this year though, so my 90 yr old pearl-harbor-survivor grandfather can be the there to see it.

I also offer my assistance to ANYONE who has carving aspirations... I help anyone who asks... I have coached many through their first tiki... I share the stoke.

so that's my list.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-28 4:55 pm   Permalink

That is a great list Jeff...you are truly sharing your gift of carving in so many positive ways. That top carve is unbelievable. People that share their talents through training others, such as you, Ben, Wendy, BBB & Martin, historians like Sven, and so many others really epitomize the heart of Tiki. How you share your knowledge and skills with others as an expert and mentor is what keeps the arts alive and exciting for others.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-08 05:35 am   Permalink

pjc5150,

Do you have a website with you work? I especially enjoy the Tahitian Inn piece you have shown on this thread, btw what wood is it made from?

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-08 09:10 am   Permalink

Jeff, it takes just ONE Tiki agent of your caliber and commitment to make a difference in one's community and spread the gospel. Mahalo!

One of my favorite reactions to my Paris museum show is found in the guest book, showing how the exhibit is inspiring a new generation of Tiki artists

Tiki Tacky, I still have a little problem with your name perpetuating the stock media description of Tiki that I have been working so hard to erase - even if I will never succeed!
Please note: The BOT was published in 2000, not 2003, that's an Amazon mistake made from its 3rd printing.
This said, I commend your efforts with Tikipedia and on other fronts, and will support any such endeavor meant to promote the understanding of Tiki culture!

Vamp, I am a little weary of being called just a Tiki HISTORIAN, it sound very dry and stodgy. I have designed mugs, curated contemporary exhibitions, and advised on current Tiki bars, and more. Tiki authority sounds better.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-07-08 11:23 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 5:46 pm   Permalink

surfsoultiki.com

one of my better tikis was just made a permanent piece at the mai kai a few weeks ago during hukilau...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=47777&forum=1&19

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 5:46 pm   Permalink

and thank you Sven...

Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 1:18 pm   Permalink

Not much tiki here in Seattle except for the private home bars. I pretty much keep to myself around here preferring to stay in my own microcosm and keep making stuff. No one I see in my day to day life could give a crap about tiki and no one ever asks me about my house or what I'm wearing. Once in a while I hear some one walking by out front making some oblivious comment and calling it " Hawaiian" or "Totem " ( I refrain from reply as my snark might slip out). Best I can do is try to keep on the fringes of relevance around here. No audience for me to bother talking about tiki. Seattle is a small pond thats already full of big fish blowing bubbles up each others asses.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 1:41 pm   Permalink

Dawn, build it and they will come….or in your case: Keep making stuff and they will come. I got your cover of Tiki mag into my Paris museum exhibit - not only because of the mag, but because of your art on it:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 2:23 pm   Permalink

I saw that Sven. I did a little happy dance around the house. Thanks for including me, I'm honored and I've been telling everyone! I cant wait to get my Tiki Pop book.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation