Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Drinks and Food ╗ ╗ Beachbum Berry hits Portland
Beachbum Berry hits Portland
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-05-24 09:33 am   Permalink

Willamette Week newspaper is out with its annual "Drinkipedia" guide to Portland bars, and it includes a feature story with Beachbum Berry checking out the Alibi and Jasmine Tree, as well as several other non-tiki bars.

http://wweek.com/editorial/3229/7600/

Of course, there's the unspoken question of how did the Bum sneak into town without any of us knowing it?

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-05-24 10:21 am   Permalink

I cracked up laughing when I read this:

Quote:
The genial Chan, also the bartender, confirms their provenance, adding, "At one point, we were ready to remodel the whole bar, but then tiki became popular again." He shrugs. "Now we've had tiki conventions in hereŚ130 people, all wanting me to make a Singapore sling at once!"

On the big night of the Northwest Tiki Bar Crawl last year when we all arrived at the Alibi someone said the Singapore Sling was decent, and Mr. Chan said his was "the best in town", so word got out and before long everyone was ordering the drink! It started out tasting OK (the best in town perhaps, but what's the competition?), but it got worse as the night progressed and they started running out of ingredients.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation