FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Photos of Ladies at Tiki Establishment-IMAGE HEAVY
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Photos of Ladies at Tiki Establishment-IMAGE HEAVY
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-29 7:18 pm   Permalink

While digging through snapshots to post on my Disneyland photo blog, I found this group of four photos of ladies enjoying a meal at a Tiki restaurant. The restaurant was in Los Angeles area as that is where I found the pictures. Let me know if any of you can place the restaurant. Photos are dated June 1970. Thanks.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-29 7:56 pm   Permalink

Wow...the year (and month) I was born!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-29 8:46 pm   Permalink

Are you sure they were all taken at the same place?

Look at the different decor, the chairs, the table cloth (or lack of table cloth).

I think the 1st and 4th photos are from one restaurant, and the 2nd and 3rd are from another.

Cool photos, though!

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 05:44 am   Permalink

Ookoo Lady- I am not sure if they are the same restaurant. Looking at them now, I agree with you. Photo number 2 and 3 are from a different restaurant. I was thinking that all were the same restaurant due to the orange menu seen on the tables, but that might have been their club roster or something else.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 09:46 am   Permalink

That was my birthday party last year.
How did you get that?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
touchythetiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-30 11:09 am   Permalink

hmm .. didnt find the bars but found good website for older places like them in L.A.
http://www.latimemachines.com/

View Profile of touchythetiki Send a personal message to touchythetiki  Email touchythetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 12:08 pm   Permalink

The menus! That's the clue. 1 and 4 do appear to be the same. A hi-res scan of the menu will get us much closer to figuring out where this is.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2006-05-30 12:09 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
touchythetiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-30 12:11 pm   Permalink

i did as much as i could with psp , couldnt read it, also the banner the lady has around ehr shoulder could help*, have been searching for the mural on the wall now
but no luck on it

View Profile of touchythetiki Send a personal message to touchythetiki  Email touchythetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
touchythetiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-30 12:12 pm   Permalink

also, whats up with the half and half hats?

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 4:41 pm   Permalink

Last pic, lady on the right. Kathy Bates?

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 5:06 pm   Permalink

The candle holders and ashtrays look the same in all of the photos. Could it be the same chain of restaurants but different locations? Or the bar area and the dining area had different tables.

[ This Message was edited by: Rob Roy 2006-05-30 17:09 ]

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 6:05 pm   Permalink

i agree, it looks like photos 1 and 4 are the dining area/banquet room, and photos 2 & 3 are in the bar area banquet room? the menus and candles look the same (as well as the women) so it is probably the same restaurant. now the chairs in photos 1 and 4 are the same chairs i have in my dining table set. those are specifically from the 60's so we can maybe assume this restuarant opened in the 1960s. the question is, what polynesian restaurant had a pirate mural/pirate themed bar/banquet room area?

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 8:16 pm   Permalink

..the place is steve cranes luau -in beverly hills...look closely at the menu..it's got that cool tribal tiki staue on it........

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2006-05-30 20:17 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 05:39 am   Permalink

I have looked at the photos using a magnifying glass and cannot make out the name of the restaurant. Looking at the Luau menu, the design does not seem to be similar. Here is a scan of just the menu laying on the table, it looks like a guy in a sombrero hat:

I believe this group of ladies was with weight watchers or another similar group. They are all dressed in black with pink sashes or name tags.

tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 08:50 am   Permalink

OK, here's my stab at photo forensics. I took the blowup pic of the menu and rotated it. Here it is:

I downloaded a clean-up program, and this is the result:

Not a whole lot better, but to me, the words "Pirate's Table" appear on what looks like a pirate with a beard,earring and knife in his mouth, the words written on his hat.

An internet search for Pirate's Table turns up this link:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/bhflavor/index.php?reid=51

Everything jibes except for the timeframe, but that could be explained by change of ownership. A short excerpt from the review makes it sound like this might be the place:

"The restaurant’s extensive stonework mimics a pirate’s cave with palm trees and walls creating cozy dining hideaways. Beautiful air-brushed murals give the effect of dining while overlooking seaside beaches. Or treat your friends and family to dining in the Captain’s Quarters, with décor that resembles a ship’s interior."

Discuss.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation