Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New Tiki Lover
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
New Tiki Lover
tikilove

Posted: 2006-05-30 8:57 pm   Permalink

I was fortunate enough to find this site while researching Tiki items. I actually just purchased the Disney LE Tiki Drummer tonight for $150 US including shipping!! We are trying to decorate the outside and basement of our house with in a Tiki theme.

One item we saw on my search that we would like to get is a Disney TIKI Room Big Figure. Does anyone know where I could get one and what a fair price would be for one. I have only been able to find one ebayer selling them at $300 US plus shipping. Being new to TIKI items I was not sure what the original price was and whether this was a fair price for the item.

I look forward to reading more on this site and making new friends.

View Profile of tikilove Send a personal message to tikilove      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 10:48 pm   Permalink

Tikilove, you have made a new friend. Welcome!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 07:45 am   Permalink

Welcome, Tikilover...Take that 150.00 and buy a really good vintage tiki mug or menu or a hand carved wooden tiki..Money much, much better spent.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 07:50 am   Permalink

P.S. Here's a better bet for an investment (and it's the decanter!) http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-TRADER-VICS-SUFFERING-BASTARD-TIKI-MUG_W0QQitemZ7770123954QQcategoryZ29460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 11:48 am   Permalink

Okay, I've got to say something here. Someone new comes on TC and the first thing they're told is that they wasted their money on something that THEY like. If I was told that when I first joined, I might not come back. Please realize that not everyone here is a mug collector or a menu collector or a collector of anything at all. Some just want to get a good tiki vibe in their home, whether it's with overpriced Witco or cheap Big Lots stuff. The point is, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that the person doing the buying is happy with what they bought. Obviously tikilove loves what he or she bought and is looking for more like it. We should be helping them, not telling them to buy what makes US happy.

Okay, jumping off my soapbox now...

tikilove, welcome to TC! There's lots to read here so enjoy!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilove

Posted: 2006-05-31 2:52 pm   Permalink

I am still here. I don't scare that easily. I would not consider myself a collector of TIKI items - but I am sure I will purchase some items that are collectible. Disney junkies would probably consider the TIKI drummer a collectible - I just like Disney and TIKI so that's why I got it. I did do a search for TIKI menus and carvings and saw some items I am interested in. At this time the mugs don't appeal to me - but by 200 posts I will probably have a collection of mugs.

Is there anything I should be concerned with in regards to buying TIKI carvings?
ie Don't buy from this seller or items from a certain area of the world because they come with BUGS that will destroy your house.

[ This Message was edited by: tikilove 2006-05-31 19:09 ]

View Profile of tikilove Send a personal message to tikilove      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 3:11 pm   Permalink

Listen to BK. He didn't mean nothin by it. He just probably knows what's the better deal.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 8:18 pm   Permalink

well, buying anything made of wood can be a gamble. I try to check out my wood closely, but you just can never be positive. look for tell tale signs such as, wormholes (though they could be old and o.k.) make sure sawdust is'nt comming out of them. some problems could be carpenter ants, termites, grubs. just look it over closely. disney and theme park stuff is awesome. good luck hunting. c.s.

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BryanDeanMartin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-31 8:19 pm   Permalink

Welcome, TikiLove!

View Profile of BryanDeanMartin Send a personal message to BryanDeanMartin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 04:01 am   Permalink

You know, despite my getting preachy and all earlier, please do check out Basement Kahuna's carvings. There are many pictures of his terrific stuff on this site. He is one of a number of outstanding artists on Tiki Central. Happy hunting!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 06:01 am   Permalink

I'd say Gap nailed it. I was just touting the better investment for the long haul, which is always the vintage tiki stuff.. As for carvings, everyone around here produces quality stuff...No buggies. No worries. Just put it in your tiki bar and let it ride!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 06:31 am   Permalink

Gotcha. Sorry if I misunderstood. I don't tend to think of buying tiki as a financial investment. Just an investment in my personal, selfish enjoyment.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 06:45 am   Permalink

Investment?

This person strikes me as someone who's interested for the love of tiki & Disney - not what will be a better "investment for the long haul"... And like I've said before - the drummers are full size reproductions off the original 1963 molds, painted to match original colors. It's like owning the original prop! Also - there are only 1000 of them. I'm sure they will sell out soon.

I think the drummers will hold up nicely over the years, and are a bargain at $175.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 07:52 am   Permalink

"There's no guarantee that they'll go up in value, but all of the others have" -The Franklin Mint

tikilove

Posted: 2006-06-01 08:06 am   Permalink

I did manage to find someone selling the Disney TIKI Village Big Figure at a more reasonable price of $147 plus shipping. I found out that it original sold for $195 - so I think I am paying a fair price for it.

I watched an auction last night for a TIKI Beachcomber Bar menu - it went for $20.50 US, it was from the 70's and was in great condition. I was tempted but decided to watch more auctions and read more here before I purchase an item such as this.

Is there anyone on this site that produces TIKI Totem poles that are 60" or hirer?
We just bought a couple of Easter Island Concrete figures for outside and they look great and I think I have the perfect spot for a large TIKI Totem.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation