[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » New Tiki Lover
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
New Tiki Lover
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 08:40 am   Permalink

Greetings. Tell us where youare located and we'll recommend a good carver. Those things are expensive to ship!

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 3:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-01 08:06, tikilove wrote:
I did manage to find someone selling the Disney TIKI Village Big Figure at a more reasonable price

What "TIKI Village Big Figure" are you talking about? Can you post a link or picture?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiPhil 2006-06-01 16:07 ]

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilove

Posted: 2006-06-01 8:12 pm   Permalink

I live in Toronto, Ontario, CANADA. The 5th largest City in North America. Who's bigger? New York, LA, Mexico City and then Chicago.

Any one you can recommend for 60" plus totems and any sites with pictures would be great.

The proper name I think is Disney Enchanted Tiki Room - Big Figure. On ebay search #6634031658 for some great pictures of it. I did not buy from this guy but he has some great pictures of it.

[ This Message was edited by: tikilove 2006-06-01 20:13 ]

View Profile of tikilove Send a personal message to tikilove      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-02 07:15 am   Permalink

5'+ carved wood Tikis in the Toronto area? How dedicated to finding one are you? Our resident expert on Torontonian (Torontoite?) Tiki is Tikifish, you might want to send her an email to see if she knows of any within a reasonable driving distance. Or you might want to bring a picture of what you want to a local chainsaw carver and see if they'll create what you want for a reasonable price. If you have the time, space & inclination you might want to spend some time in the "Creating Tiki: Tiki Carving" threads and try your own hand at carving.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-02 07:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-01 20:12, tikilove wrote:

Any one you can recommend for 60" plus totems and any sites with pictures would be great.

I'll put in a plug for my pal Jim "Chisel Slinger" Robinson. He is about an 8 1/2 hour drive from you to Columbus Ohio. He can carve just about anything that's tiki, and if you bring some rum and hang out for a few drinks he just might give you the best deal you're likely to ever see anywhere.

I've been bugging him to set up a website. There are few pics of his older work floating around, which was good, but his most recent work (some more traditional stuff) is just incredible. Especially for the prices he asks for it.

Heck, you come down this way anytime and we'll show you around and make sure you have some tiki themed fun. There are a few collections and home bars down here that are worth the trip by themselves. Just PM or email me if you are ever so inclined.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilove

Posted: 2006-06-02 10:38 am   Permalink

Thanks for the invite. I am headed down the I-75 in August to Florida. I will be passing through Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tenn., Georgia. How close is Columbus to LIMA? We usually stop in Lima for the night. Do you have any TIKI fun that can included my 3 and 5 year old kids? I sure after 8.5 hrs with just me and the kids I could use some RUM. I actually trying to pick up one of those Target Tiki bars on the way through. They are on sale now for $199 US and my wife is headed to Georgia next week - she is going to try and make a new friend at work so she can store it their house until we pass through.

I will contact the member in Toronto. Thanks for the info.

View Profile of tikilove Send a personal message to tikilove      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-02 11:53 am   Permalink

Family friendly tiki fun? Hmm... we could probably conjure something up. But it can be hard to entertain 3-5 year olds when Daddy wants a cocktail.

You let us know what you can do drinking-wise, and we'll plan something that would work.

Lima is about an hour from Columbus.

And in August we have the Hot Rod Hula Hop (18th and 19th) so if you are coming through then you will have all the tiki on your hands (and custom rods) that you could want in a 2 day period.

If the wife is not into tiki, she might want to take the kids to the Columbus Zoo (which is really great BTW) while you tie one on with the loud shirt crowd.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 3:53 pm   Permalink

Tikilove,

If you're interested in meeting some Florida locals for some tiki fun on your trip in August, let us know where you're going to be and when. The TC ohana is spread around Florida from Tampa to Orlando to Ft Lauderdale and Miami. Best to post that request in "Tiki Events >> Other Events" though.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rustbeltcat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 6:38 pm   Permalink

Hey If you are interested.. I have some large items that I am looking to move on down the Tiki Highway... I have a 7 ft Orchids full round Tiki Pole, (palmwood) and a 10 to 11 ft Tiki pole...
I am asking 500 and 1000 respectively.. I am going to search and see if my original post with pics is still on TC.. FOUND IT! heres the original post with some pics.. the only items currently for sale are the poles... dont even ask about the one mounted on the white door... (generous offers entertained on that piece lol)
PGH aint that far away.. LOL! Plus its history....
Muggs Von Yinzer of the FOM & the Pittsburgh Drifters cc
http://www.drifterscc.com

[ This Message was edited by: rustbeltcat 2006-06-04 18:51 ]

View Profile of rustbeltcat Send a personal message to rustbeltcat  Email rustbeltcat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-24 09:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-01 07:52, Basement Kahuna wrote:
"There's no guarantee that they'll go up in value, but all of the others have" -The Franklin Mint

Ha!
This is a good one, they are talking about the Disney tiki room drummer.
You know the ones selling for $3000.00 to $5000.00 bucks now.(1/24/2018)

Not asking for but selling for Winning bid: US $3,369.00 And $60.00 plus on shipping.
But Disney is hot.

The stuff that was worth a lot back then is not the same as what is worth a lot today.
Heck Basement Kahuna does not carve anymore and Chisel Slingers carvings I have not seen for some time.

Funny how time changes things.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-01-24 11:09 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-24 11:01 am   Permalink

Wow, Skip, I just looked, and you're absolutely right, there's one on eBay for $5,000. Looks like a limited edition of 1000 pieces were cast. See my screen capture below.

Can you imagine what other tiki stuff you can buy for $5,000 instead of just this ONE replica item? Mind-bogglingly not worth it to me. Definitely cool, but not worth the expense. If I really really had to have one, I'd seriously consider learning to carve a close facsimile before I'd drop that much cash on a resin replica.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-24 1:15 pm   Permalink

Ace, there are some people here who have made really cool replicas. I guess it's like anything else though, I could make a replica of a rare mug but that doesn't give it the same value to a collector as the original would have. Like a zirconium replica of the Hope Diamond

Skip and Ace, I say we take the Grand Member Time Machine back to 2006 and buy up a bunch of these

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-24 1:20 pm   Permalink

Mike, I agree! What a hoot that would be....

I'm not against replicas per se. While this one is WAY cool, it is just overpriced. While I want it, I am quite happy with a photo of the tiki drummer and a MP3 copy of the actual drummer soundtrack. But it would truly be cool to carve a facsimile, with moving arms and lights...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-24 3:20 pm   Permalink

Here is the one Joshua Bell made from Papier-mâché Doesn't look like it has moving arms though.

Ben built this bar for Queen Kamehameha that had drummers in the eaves. I don't know if Ben carved these or where they came from?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation