FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Hello Hook Knife, Good-bye X-acto
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Hello Hook Knife, Good-bye X-acto
capt.doug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-12 6:33 pm   Permalink

made the "Fron-Tikis" a bit more tourist oriented. Actually, it does give them something to do, besides just laying there.

[ This Message was edited by: capt.doug 2006-06-12 18:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: capt.doug 2006-06-13 17:50 ]

View Profile of capt.doug Send a personal message to capt.doug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capt.doug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-12 6:37 pm   Permalink

Got these chunks of basswood, so until they are gone, gonna bore ya'll with these

View Profile of capt.doug Send a personal message to capt.doug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 6:40 pm   Permalink

hey man that looks really cool. its like just some company. i like it and keep the work up.

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capt.doug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-12 6:46 pm   Permalink

These are some for your viewing pleasure, not by me, first two are from Bali,the shark too. The other three are from East Coast Florida Carvers. My sweetie has them in her store.

[ This Message was edited by: capt.doug 2006-06-12 18:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: capt.doug 2006-06-12 18:59 ]

Bamboo Boyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-13 6:18 pm   Permalink

Where do you guys get the basswood from? I'm not familiar with that wood here in Az.

View Profile of Bamboo Boyd Send a personal message to Bamboo Boyd  Email Bamboo Boyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capt.doug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-14 07:52 am   Permalink

I got the Basswood in 2",3",4" blocks 12" long, from www.qualitycarvingsupplies.com I got 1/2 X 1/2 sticks of basswood from the craft department at Walmart. Like some one said, it doesn't have a very interesting grain pattern, but it carves pretty easily. Good for a newbie like me.

Bamboo Boyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-14 4:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks Doug. I'll have to check out Walley World. I need some cheap stock to destroy on my first few attempts.

View Profile of Bamboo Boyd Send a personal message to Bamboo Boyd  Email Bamboo Boyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-14 5:18 pm   Permalink

Keep up the good work Capt. Doug. Keep looking for free wood too, thats the way you find out. Loki is right about the Queen palm, but it makes nice masks, if you slice it in half then it's easy to clean out the soft center.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capt.doug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-14 8:24 pm   Permalink

thanks for the input Ben, you guys that know what you're doing don't realize how much your comments mean to newbies like me/us.

[ This Message was edited by: capt.doug 2006-06-14 20:27 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-15 06:12 am   Permalink

Sure we do. I can remember when I first found TC and then started carving again. The support was very warm and helpful.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capt.doug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-19 09:37 am   Permalink

The two pieces that got me started into carving. I found these in my mom's curio cabinet. A neighbor gave these to me when I was still in grade school, so that would make it either in Calif. or Texas. Any of you fellas recognize your work? I moved around so much as a kid, I don't remember the man's name, and I still haven't been able to duplicate his skill level.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation