FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » Moustaches, aye or nay?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Moustaches, aye or nay?
lone tiki?
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-05 3:29 pm   Permalink

Hey, where do y'all stand on moustaches? I've been giving this matter serious thought and as far as I'm concerned (at least in my part of the world) adventurous and unique facial hair is sadly lacking. Whether it's an nineteenth century cookie duster or a Rhett Butler, there's just a not enough facial hair manicuring going on in this age of electric razors and "just out of bed" looks. Beards are a separate matter entirely, so please don't sully this thread with your beardie anecdotes. In your heart of hearts you all know as well as I it takes a lot more gonads to sport a swanky moustache.

For those inclined to defer knowledge to higher sources here's some encyclopedic info on the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_facial_hair

And for those keen to keep abreast of the cutting-edge facial hair scene check out these photos from the 2003 Beard and Moustache contest (having trouble finding more recent ones)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/photo_gallery/3234029.stm

For a fun moustache game check out the Sparks website:

http://www.allsparks.com/

Goodness, this all sounds incredibly together and sober of me, god knows it isn't... but then I do have a tendency to become an insufferable and quite factual bore when I've have a few too many.

[ This Message was edited by: lone tiki? 2006-06-06 05:03 ]

View Profile of lone tiki? Send a personal message to lone tiki?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lone tiki?
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-06 05:02 am   Permalink

I take it that's a nay then?

View Profile of lone tiki? Send a personal message to lone tiki?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 05:45 am   Permalink

Man, that "just above the lip" pencil-thin Rhett Butler is DA LOOK, for ultra hip swank, IMO. It's THEE moustache for that authentic 30's/40's vibe.

Run with it, brah!

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lone tiki?
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-06 06:03 am   Permalink

My sentiments exactly!

Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 06:46 am   Permalink

All I know is that I have an oath with several friends that was made some twenty years ago that if any of us ever grow just a mousetache (without goatee etc.) we are to be punched squarely in the face.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marika
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 07:10 am   Permalink

I am always afraid of the Tom Selleck mustach, I am scared it could come back in style. It makes me shiver.

View Profile of marika Send a personal message to marika  Goto the website of marika     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lone tiki?
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-06 09:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-06 07:10, marika wrote:
I am always afraid of the Tom Selleck mustach, I am scared it could come back in style. It makes me shiver.

Ah, you've got to be made of stronger stuff than that... next you'll be telling me you fear mullets! Or this...

ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-06 09:37 am   Permalink

I do like the look of Don the Beachcomber's moustache, but part of that look is the slicked back hairdo. It is a shame that no movie was made of his life. David Niven could have portrayed him well.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marika
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 5:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-06 09:21, lone tiki? wrote:

Ah, you've got to be made of stronger stuff than that... next you'll be telling me you fear mullets! Or this...

I am so very weak. Hair scares me, especially when it is about bearded ladies and unibrows...

View Profile of marika Send a personal message to marika  Goto the website of marika     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-07 09:44 am   Permalink

May is Officially Moustache Month. Everybody grows a moustache and whom ever has the best one by June first wins!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WenikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-07 10:45 am   Permalink

I say the mustache depends on the face! My dad has always had one and it looks good on him. My husband has also had a mustache since he could grow one. He looks good in it. While we were on Guam the visiting B-1 aircrews had a mustache growing contest and gave my husband the "Bert Reynolds" award.

And here are some photos showing how good our guys look in mustaches:

From the left we have Gecko, my husband Ben, and Dan of DanLovesTikis. Wendy Cevola took this photo at La Mariana Sailing Club.

And here is another of Wendy's photo's taken at my house showing Gecko and Freddie!

Mustashes Rule!

View Profile of WenikiTiki Send a personal message to WenikiTiki  Email WenikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-07 11:44 am   Permalink

Putting aside the question of an individual's choice on whether to have a mustache in a diverse country like America, I think the prevalence of mustaches in a country can be correlated with corruption, machismo, and economic underperformance.

I make no judgement about mustaches on an individual basis, but on a broader, societal basis, places where mustaches are the rule for men tend to be those where clannishness and double-dealing are more common vis-a-via a more objective adherence to the rule of law.

If anyone finds this offensive, please don't. This is bilge and I'm talking loosely.

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-07 7:18 pm   Permalink

Hi Wendy, how fun to see more photos come up. I would never let Dan shave his off. The Bloody Maori I made with Gecko in the photo went home with me. A different one with a different test glaze is going up on eBay in a couple of days. It will be interesting to see if my idea for another severed head is liked or not. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-08 11:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-07 19:18, danlovestikis wrote:
Hi Wendy, how fun to see more photos come up. I would never let Dan shave his off. The Bloody Maori I made with Gecko in the photo went home with me. A different one with a different test glaze is going up on eBay in a couple of days. It will be interesting to see if my idea for another severed head is liked or not. Wendy

Ahhhhh! Wendy, this needs to be posted in the Tiki Marketplace, ASAP! I'm too poor for beautiful things like this to be coming out!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-09 1:10 pm   Permalink

Good mustaches:

Bad mustaches:

and for those who don't want to commit to an actual mustache, there's always the secret mustache tattoo society

[ This Message was edited by: stuff-o-rama 2006-06-13 12:08 ]

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation