FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts ALOHA! Hula Girl and Tiki art sculpture
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
ALOHA! Hula Girl and Tiki art sculpture
Timbone

Posted: 2006-06-06 3:47 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Centralers! I'm a shiny new tiki-and-Hawaii-ophile in these parts, and I thought I would show some like minded folks my recent sculpture and paint-up. I sculpted her some time ago and painted her just recently. I love me the Hawaii and I love me sculpting and cartoons and animation, so I thought I would combine all three into something I would like on my shelf. I just couldn't find anything that quite fit the bill otherwise, so the clay had to come out!

The Hula Girl and her Tiki pal is the startup piece for my little business venture of sculpting animated girl maquettes of various types, though I want to do a small line of Hula Girl pieces to accompany this one. I've sold a few of these to folks that want to paint and assemble their own, and this one here is the paint master for the resin casts that I'll be assembling and painting myself.

I'm pretty happy with how she turned out, all things considered.

Now I just have to get down to painting a few dozen of them myself... Eeesh... Daunting.

Anyway, I'd like your feedback on it if I could. I know the tiki isn't really anything perfectly accurate, but I wanted a Disney Tiki Room feel to him that would get me the look I wanted him to be giving the hula dancer.

So, I hope to hear from you tiki-philes. I am interested in your thoughts!
Mahalo!

View Profile of Timbone Send a personal message to Timbone  Goto the website of Timbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 3:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Anyway, I'd like your feedback on it if I could. I know the tiki isn't really anything perfectly accurate, but I wanted a Disney Tiki Room feel to him that would get me the look I wanted him to be giving the hula dancer.

perfectly accurate tiki is not wanted nor in demand. Disney is what sells!
long live disney tiki.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 3:58 pm   Permalink

I really hope there is a living, breathing model out there that posed for that statue.

I love it!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-06 5:36 pm   Permalink

WoooHoooo! Tiki-rrific Job! Can't wait to see what you create next.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 5:44 pm   Permalink

Uhhhhh....Wow!

Nice work! Keep us in the loop.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 6:07 pm   Permalink

very cool Timbone...great job on the sculpting...these will sell like hotcakes!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuf123
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-06 6:08 pm   Permalink

Very nice! Let us know when we can place our orders.

View Profile of stuf123 Send a personal message to stuf123  Goto the website of stuf123     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 6:53 pm   Permalink

Sweetness! Eieee Mami

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Timbone

Posted: 2006-06-06 7:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks... er, Mahalo for the warm welcome, everyone! I appreciate it.

lanikai = I'd like to think that the Disney Tiki look sells! I don't know enough about the art or history to really do anything else, so I'm glad that's the preferred method. I don't have to stretch my brain so much.

Granite Tiki - there is a model, in a way. I based the pose on a photograph and collaborated a bit with a polynesian dancer I know to make sure the pose and attitude were right. So there sort of is a model. She's just in several places in several people!

WooHooWahine - I'm going to work on something not so tiki-inspired next, but I liked doing this one so much I'm sure that I'll come back to this. Maybe a wahine sitting on top of a tiki. That would be fun.

Kono - will do! I'm taking down interested parties now, so I can see how many have to be ordered and painted.

congatiki - I hope they sell, I really just want enough to afford to sculpt and make more sculpts! A hula-tiki line is sounding more likely all the time...

stuf123 - I'm taking orders for them now, though they will not be filled immediately. I still have quite a few to paint... so there will be a bit of a wait. Those that confirm to buy will be sure to get one!

McTiki - thank you!

View Profile of Timbone Send a personal message to Timbone  Goto the website of Timbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 7:53 pm   Permalink

is that sculpy?? wow!

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 9:15 pm   Permalink

WOW!!! Thats gorgeous!! Absolutely awesome work.

The whole thing just works great - great style.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this!

Welcome

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Boyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-06 9:17 pm   Permalink

Very Cool! Your sculpture is awesome!

View Profile of Bamboo Boyd Send a personal message to Bamboo Boyd  Email Bamboo Boyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-07 12:20 am   Permalink

How big is she?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-07 06:24 am   Permalink

Radical! I would definately like to see more of your work. That Hula dancer is a beauty. The Tiki is pretty cool too.
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Timbone

Posted: 2006-06-07 07:46 am   Permalink

pdrake - yes, it was when she was first made. It was Sculpey Firm, the harder grey version of Super Sculpey. It rocks the socks, I will tell you.

hewey - thank you! I'll see what i can do about someday making more Hula and Tiki themed sculpts, this one has been a lot of fun.
This piece is about 11" tall from the bottom of the base to the top of her head.

Boyd - Mahalo!

Chongolio - if you would like to see some more of my work, here's my website:
http://www.gryphonswing.com/GWingGallery.html

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation