FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tikibelle's Red-White-&-Blue Birthday Beach Burn & Luau - Cabrillo Beach, Sat. July 8th
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tikibelle's Red-White-&-Blue Birthday Beach Burn & Luau - Cabrillo Beach, Sat. July 8th
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2006-06-09 6:50 pm   Permalink

In celebration of my lovely wife, Tikibelle's (mmhmm)th birthday, we are having an all-day beach-party, picnic, and traditional tiki beach burn at the fire rings at Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro. I'll add maps, directions, etc soon, but I wanted to get this thread posted as a placeholder - Save The Date!

It will be a Red, White & Blue Luau, in honor of the Day of Independance which I believe the Founding Fathers created in anticipation of the birth of my wife, who is the most Independant woman I know, God Bless Her! We will have someone arrive in the morning to hold one of the fire rings on the Pacific side of the narrow isthmus, and I know there are barbecue stations just a short mosey over to the harbor side.

Let's potluck it, and bring your own grillables, plus whatever you'd like to share. I'll bring some extra Spicy Coconut Chicken to share as well. We'll be there the whole day, and as night falls, the fire pit will begin.

Not sure yet about the rules about burning pallets at this beach. I do know there is no alcohol allowed, (Just like Huntington), so we will have to be creative with spiking our punch again (Just like Huntington). Polynesiac is going to look into more of the rules and regulations for the site. If someone would like to donate a tiki to burn, like last year, that would be most appreciated. The cops at Cabrillo haven't learned about us yet, so I doubt that Crazy Al will get carted away to jail. (This is incentive for Crazy Al to attend, hint hint).

I'm hoping that many of you are free that weekend and can join us for the celebration! It should be a memorable one.

Thanks,

Sabu & Tikibelle

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-06-09 18:51 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Al-ii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-11 8:58 pm   Permalink

Kate and I are in
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Al-ii Send a personal message to Al-ii  Email Al-ii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-11 9:03 pm   Permalink

BooHoo!!! Soccer Tiki has a Soccer Game and then we are off to see Hapa

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-06-17 18:09 ]

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-11 9:58 pm   Permalink

I think I can.... I think I can....

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-06-12 12:05 am   Permalink

Yes!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 08:31 am   Permalink

The Mr and I will be there... IF Tikibelle promises to wear her tiara from the Arizona Prom! Should go nice with your bikini!!
We're bringing a few kids, probably, too.
It'll be great to see everyone and soak up some sun!

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2006-06-12 10:45 am   Permalink

Kids are welcome!

I'll work on the tiara. Can't promise anything on the bikini. Can't even acknowledged that I read that. Don't objectify me. I am fragile.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 11:05 am   Permalink

Wuhl gawldang, that sounds like fun! And I sure do miss you guys. Don't know yet if we can swing it, but I'll confer with Hanford.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 12:44 pm   Permalink

I don't if I am 100% sure but I do know that we will try our best to be there with you all!!! Sounds like a good time to me!!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 2:01 pm   Permalink

Okay, Hanford and I are in, as long as we can work out a few logistics! What are the options for spending the night down there?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 4:01 pm   Permalink

Utopiandreem & I are in!

TBird

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 5:26 pm   Permalink

Tim,
sounds like a good time hangin' at the beach.
I'm in.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-12 7:25 pm   Permalink

In! (obviously)

for those looking for a place to stay in 'pedro and if you can't find a friend who'll let you crash on their couch/floor check out this link of hotels in 'pedro:

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/hotlodg.htm

The pacific inn is the closest to cabrillo beach, but always looks kinda sleezy, the nicest is the Marina hotel and also very close to cabrillo beach.

For those of you worried about Cabrillo beach recieving an "F" on the heal the bay water quality chart...FEAR NOT! that is the inner beach (harbor side - no waves and TONS of cat and bird poop), the outer beach, where the burn will take place, always gets an "A". Tim, don't feel bashful - you bring your bikini, I'll bring my speedo and I'll race you out to the bouy! The waves here usually suck in the summer (we face south), but you can bring your longboard for 2-3 second rides, if ya like.

Parking is $7.00 all day at the beach and usually fills up by 1:00pm on a Saturday in the summer. I suggest parking above the beach and walking down - you'll save yourself a headache. Stephen M White drive (what the beach is off of) also gets closed down to beach traffic when the parking lot fills up, so if you go up 36th street from Pacific you can park in the neighborhoods on Denison Ave and Kerckhoff Ave. The other option is to park at the marina on 22nd street and ride the "trolly" to the beach, but I think that stops running pretty early, so you may want to make arrangements to get a ride back to your car if you stay into the evening.

I still haven't got the official rules and regulaions of what's okay and what's not (so we know what rules we're breaking), but I've seen peopl burn all kinds of crazy shit. If you bring a pallet to burn, please break it up and make sure it's REAL wood with no sealant - cause the fake stuff stinks like hell. and your mashmallow smores then tast like it. Bring a tiki to burn!
It is a dry beach, but it seems as though if you're smart enough to hide your alcohol then you get left alone. People are always having burns on the weekends...that's all I'm sayin' about that. It is 'Pedro, after all.

I work over at the Aquarium behind the beach where we'll be, so be sure to go check out our local"beachy" aquarium that has been around for 70 years. We only have local species and are world reknown as the "education aquarium". and to plug it a little further...we're FREE! it's a suggested donation only (we're funded through the city of LA recs and parks). Also be sure to check out the Cabrillo Beach Bath House that was newly renovated. It's one of the original LA area bathhouses (I think the other one was in Venice), but It's been in here since 1935. I'm more than happy to give little talks about the history of the area before everyone gets too plasterd.....ummm...on fruit juice.

I'll see if I can get some maps and stuff up a little later on.

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ This Message was edited by: polynesiac 2006-06-13 12:37 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-13 12:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-12 19:25, Polynesiac wrote:
I work over at the Aquarium behind the beach where we'll be, so be sure to go check out our local"beachy" aquarium that has been around for 70 years. We only have local species and are world reknown as the "education aquarium". and to plug it a little further...we're FREE!

Yes, it's a great place -- I was a jr. volunteer there waaaaaay back in 1982 when no one had heard of Frank Gehry (yes, he designed it). Don't forget to do the Grunion Dance!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-13 11:32 am   Permalink

Cabrillo aquarium is indeed cool. They have (or had the last time I was there), a relatively large mantis shrimp. Very cool, and brightly colored. Lots of fun, and not a very common aquarium species.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation