FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Anyone know anything about this awesome volcano bowl?
Anyone know anything about this awesome volcano bowl?
TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-13 4:33 pm   Permalink

Check it out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=745847811&rd=1

View Profile of TikiManiac Send a personal message to TikiManiac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-13 10:40 pm   Permalink

its OK

it looks handmade to me though- like a class project type of thing. you can see the kiln stilt marks on the bottom and it just has that amateur quality to it. It's a decent piece, but not spectacular.. no markings, a duncan-y looking glaze, seems fishy..

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-14 09:02 am   Permalink

I disagree. This bowl looks exactly like the bowl in the Hawaii Kai, NYC drink menu photos of the volcano bowl they used. Either someone made an exact mold of that bowl, or this was possibly from the Hawaii Kai.....either way a very cool bowl and I've only seen one other one on ebay in the past.

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-14 1:24 pm   Permalink

Nobody on Ebay seems to agree with you fatuhiva...with 6 hours to go it's at around $150...hey, that price is too steep for me, but not for danlovestikis...

View Profile of TikiManiac Send a personal message to TikiManiac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-14 1:29 pm   Permalink

Judging by this sellers other items I think they hit up a lot of estate sales. (old books and glass,etc.) It definitly looks vintage.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-14 11:37 pm   Permalink

hey its their money-

but im telling you, i know a production piece from a non-production when i see one. I know the bowl you are referring to, ive seen one in person, and this was not the real one. Just like you'll see tiki-bobs moldmade from ceramics classes from the 60's, you'll see bowls such as this. There's just a bunch of red flags on that piece in my opinion- i'd rathjer spend the $ on something known rather than an iffy one, but thats me.. its all in the eye of the beholder anyway.. it could be it actually was from restaraunt that had a home-studio guy doing their wares, like the tucson kon-tiki mugs, which are essentially made from molds at a local's house that were pulled from the kon-tiki hotel in phoenix mugs that were the actual true production mugs. however, those tucson mugs are marked, so they dont seem to count as "non restaurant ware" as much to me..

but i wouldnt have shelled $300 for that bowl- im glad there are people out there willing to do it though.

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-15 07:03 am   Permalink

I vote for home-made. It sure looks it! Someone made the bowl by hand and then made molds of some moai head to make the 3 figures. That's my guess!

Anyway, it's still cool... but not worth that kind of $$$ in my opinion.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-15 12:16 pm   Permalink

My expert analysis:

Pie is good!

On a related note, I have to agree it looks homemade/pottery class. One can look at a few features and usually confirm it was made in non-commercial equipment. That said, it is a pretty cool bowl. I know of some collectors that really seek out the amateur stuff. Those items will be rarer. We tend to go for vintage, used in a restaurant/bar, and cheap.

Overall I like it....the price? I like it if I was selling it!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-16 09:55 am   Permalink

It is Homemade, take it from a maker of ceramic pieces. You can look at the bottom and tell. I just wish I had the mold!

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation