[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki mural
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki mural
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 11:11 am   Permalink

Lazy afternoon+beer+spraycans+the long awaited swedish summer =

I joined a couple of friends to a graffiti wall in town. Came up with the idea for the piece during the ride there.
So, no sketch and a bag full of crappy spray cans. But Im quite pleased with the result. I had a cramp in my hand when i was doing the background and i was about to give up so its not that advanced. It was the first time i ever made a picture of a moai so the proportions is a bit of.

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2006-06-12 11:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2006-06-12 11:17 ]

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 12:00 pm   Permalink

that's fantastic!

I'm trying to get to a Tiki mural but it would be completely different...indoors and on canvas, and not in graffitti style.

[ This Message was edited by: Exoticat 2006-06-12 12:01 ]

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 12:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks!

Im trying to understand your definitions here. What makes this painting "graffiti style". Is it that its made with spray cans? Just curios.

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 2:53 pm   Permalink

was it done illegally? I have just become interested in graffiti. I little bit of color in a gray city looks nice now and then.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 5:22 pm   Permalink

I like it!!

Mahalo for sharing.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 6:23 pm   Permalink

who cares if it's legal? it's COOL! time to go to NYC and make your mark on a subway car!

spray cans, beer and a lazy afternoon!?!?! sounds like the childhood of some friends of mine...except without the awesome mural at the end

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 6:45 pm   Permalink

Great work. Let's see some more!!

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 7:12 pm   Permalink

I'm wondering if its legal, cause that a big piece to pull off and not get caught. Half the have is illegal. I would like to know more about it going up.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-12 8:41 pm   Permalink

Awesome looking piece of art man!

I would like to hope that it was done legally of course. I love street art, especially if it brightens up the area and makes it cheerier. I hate tags with a passion though.

At one stage I was looking at buying a VW van and having an aerosol artist cover it in a full wrap around tiki mural. Not exactly subtle hey?

I work at local council (in the department that manages graffiti no less). Im trying to get them to open up some space for people to spray in a legal and safe environment. Not my position though, so I have no pull.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-13 08:09 am   Permalink

Thanks for all your comments.
Its not done legally but not illegally either.
In my hometown legal graffiti painting walls are banned. BUT there is no legal owner of this wall so its lawless.
No owner to press charges against a writer, no charge.
The cops have been down taking names and cans from people in the past, but they dont do that anymore. Ordinary people passing thinks its legal to paint on the wall just because you do it so open so they dont call the cops.

polynesiac>> No subway cars for me, at least no more.

teakey>> Funny you should ask that. "Is it legal" was the thing that the swedish old school writers asked each other if they were shown a picture of something really outstanding an detailed.

I will post my next painting. Maybe something a bit more planned the next time.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-13 08:44 am   Permalink

Anyone remember CHAKA ?

Would be sweet to see TIKI STYLE all over the world!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-13 11:07 am   Permalink

I like it. Great detail on the bamboo font.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Enchanted Tiki Lounge

Posted: 2006-06-13 2:34 pm   Permalink

Good stuff. I like the illustration and technique of it. It is very vibrant and colorful too.

Excellent mural work.

View Profile of The Enchanted Tiki Lounge Send a personal message to The Enchanted Tiki Lounge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-13 7:29 pm   Permalink

Outdoors, spray paint and a tag make it graffitti to me. I have a friend on MySpace that does graffitti and he has a blog full of graffitti definitions and more. If you want a link, let me know.

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rwhgeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-20 5:11 pm   Permalink

Didn't want to start a new thread so used the old search function and thought I would just add to this thread. The mural below is in Richmond VA, I don't know anything about the artist or any details. It is on the backside of a company that does custom manufactoring work (I think). I have been driving past this for a year now and meaning to share. It is on the way to a local microbrewery I spend way too much time at. Forgive the quality, light was not great and I was coming back from the brewery with a few fine hefewiezens in me.

Full Mural-VA is in full spring so plants are beginning to overtake it already. As you can see it is unfinished since only one flower in the ALOHA is filled in.

Close up #1

Close up #2 (Lower left corner)

Close up #3 (I assume the artist name is Garren)

View Profile of rwhgeek Send a personal message to rwhgeek  Email rwhgeek Goto the website of rwhgeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation