FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tropical Patio Rebuild May 2013 Done!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tropical Patio Rebuild May 2013 Done!
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-01 8:06 pm   Permalink

That looks great man - kool project!

Did you go with the corrugated iron/steel roof? If so, how did you attach the matting underneath.

I am gonna have to remember this for when I get my own place - I want one!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 01:00 am   Permalink

Hewey:
I made a frame like this out of 5cmx15cm and 5 x 10cm lumber

there it is after I put it on the existing 10x10cm supports

then I put 2.5x 5cm boards every 60cm or so. These are where I attatched with screws the mats up to the ceiling, and screwed the tin roof down on to.

Looking up to the ceiling, this is the framework that I could attach the two mats to

I covered the seam of the two mats with a 11cm wide piece of split bamboo. The other large ones help keep the mats held up to the ceiling between the screwed in spots. The small bamboo covered the screws where I stuck the mats to the 2.5 x 5cm wood. The bamboo around the edges hid the seam between the mats and the wood.

i was able to screw the corrugated roofing down tothe original frame and the smaller cross pieces. The dots on this drawing show where I was able to affix the sheeting with screws. Then I put the ridge piece up. the whole roof was then covered with thatch.

I split the bamboo and used it to cover the screws where I attached the ceiling mats. The bamboo will also help hold up the mats

Easier than it looks, and it looks easy...

Go for it when you get own place! I'll fly down there and help ya when your ready...
Buzzy

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-08-03 01:46 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 09:17 am   Permalink

Buzzy regarding the black bamboo panel, is it real black bamboo and if not how do they weather being out all year round, do you have any idea. I was thinking of buying some?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 1:55 pm   Permalink

Hiltiki: I went down and visited some pals at the wholesale bamboo yard today and asked them several questions on your behalf. Here is what I remember:
The colored panels are made from regular bamboo, and are stained with a mahogany stain, and then coated with a clear sealer. According to the wholesaler, the life expectancy of these bamboo panels is 20 years. However, it will be necessary to recoat them with an outdoor wood sealer every 3-5 years, as needed. Many evironmental factors will affect the lifespan of the bamboo too.
Most black bamboo is very small and slow growing, hence its rarity as a building material. There are large bamboo poles available that are actually regular bamboo airbrushed by a painter to look like giant black bamboo. I've also seen red and green painted poles too.
Usually the panels come in 6x8 and 8x8 sections, in any color you desire. Ive actually seen pink bamboo...
Any more questions, let me know, I'm going back tomorrow.
Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 6:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info Buzzy, it really helps.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 08:10 am   Permalink

I had to bump this thread cuz Buzzy's awesome project, complete with his drawings, has solved my problem!!
As some of you may know, the city of laGOONa hills has made us tear down our palapa do to no permits for such an oversized structure. The Mr has been submitting drawing after drawing to the project manager (me!), each more elaborate (expensive) than the last. Now I know why the damn thing got too big in the first place.
Anyhoo... I was actually searching for bamboo fence and this thread came up. I was amazed to see my fragmented ideas all summed up nicely and drawn out and explained clearly! Even the Mr got it! Perfect! So simple...duh!
So we are rebuilding this weekend almost exactly like Buzzy's project. I just wanted to give a public thank you to Buzzy for sharing his knowledge so freely. We will be having a big fat obnoxious Luau this Spring/Summer, benefiting my asscrack neighbors! Buzzy, you are most def invited! You will be wearing the special distinction of honor...something great. Actually, I'll have to get back to you on what that is- I have yet to think of what it will be, but it will be royal. Maybe that cool hat thingy King Kamehamaha(sp?) wore. And rum. You get lots o rum.
THANK YOU!

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 3:19 pm   Permalink

Hau 'oli Tiki, yes, Buzzy is very creative and an excellent teacher. He can make the most complicated things seem very simple so anyone can do it. I wanted to show you pictures of how the Tropical Patio turned out in the end. These were taken the last time we were up at Hiltiki's house. I think they'll get you excited about the outcome of your own patio!

Here's one of Hiltiki and I enjoying the embiance of this wonderful place at night!

Enjoy!! I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. Definitely post some pictures!

Good luck!
Zaya

[ This Message was edited by: Zaya 2007-02-06 16:08 ]

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 3:52 pm   Permalink

Someone is having fun Very cozy retreat indeed.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 5:38 pm   Permalink

yeh, very nice hut and thanks to Buzzy for the sketches

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 7:07 pm   Permalink

My tiki hut is real sturdy and extreme weather happy.Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy rocks!

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 8:36 pm   Permalink

Hey Buz,

Extra cool! Real nice work.

This stuff is fun stuff to play with huh. I really like that black bamboo too...if I could have only found 4" diameter.

Is the carving one of yours?

Babalu

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-24 11:36 am   Permalink

Time to rebuild the rebuild I did a few years ago...

One last look before it goes bye bye:

All gone!

Old hut was about 7 x 8'. New footprint is 10 x 14'

Construction time!

First day's action. New floor down, poles set, and waiting for a roof:

Rough sketch of where it's going:

Roof and fun stuff next!
Buzzy Out!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-24 12:26 pm   Permalink

Can't wait for the next
Buzzy in. Great photos of
a fun project. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-24 1:48 pm   Permalink

Good luck, Buzzy!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-24 6:18 pm   Permalink

A new build! Oh goodie!!!

Can't wait to see the progress. Keep the pictures coming.

Lori

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation