[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Clear ice cubes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Clear ice cubes
Kraken007
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-05-31 03:47 am   Permalink

I use this method when I must have clear ice. (Most of the time I'm in a hurry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUHcCHbgX_o&spfreload=5

View Profile of Kraken007 Send a personal message to Kraken007      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-31 06:54 am   Permalink

Similar process to the old whirlpool ice maker I used to have, like this one:

http://www.truetex.com/icemachine.htm

It has an evaporator plate which the machine pumps water over, slowly freezing a sheet of ice on the plate. When ready to harvest, it would go into harvest mode (using a timer, temp sensor and a bypass valve to let hot refrigerant into the evaporator) to melt the sheet until it let loose and slid onto a wire cutter grid (resistance wire grid that electricity was passed through) to cut the sheet into cubes. Made beautiful clear cubes, but they were hard as hell, couldn't use them in the blender for blender drinks because they would just jam the blades. No one has convinced me yet that the impurities are what cause cloudyness....I figure the cubes in the fridge freeze on all sides, and water contracts as it freezes. Therefore the liquid water inside the cube frozen in the freezer is trapped on all sides and as it freezes and contracts, it cracks up. That's why regular cubes break up easier in the blender. I think the "impurities" story was made up by the ice machine industry to sell more machines....my opinion, others may differ.

howlinowl

P.S. By the way, the reason I got rid of the thing was it made much more ice than I'd use. The bin is basically a big igloo cooler, the ice slowly melts and is remplaced with fresh on top. I just learned to get over it and use the ice in the fridge and save all that water I'd been wasting (electricity too).

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2016-05-31 06:57 ]

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-05-31 06:55 am   Permalink

Camper English has done extensive clear ice research and documented it all on his blog: alcademics.com. The directional freezing method has proven to be the most effective, but he has easier ways to get the long rectangles than making a big block and cutting it.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation