[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Giant Tapa Cloth
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Giant Tapa Cloth
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-24 6:19 pm   Permalink

After being skunked during the standard thift store rounds, I was headed home when I saw an estate sale. I ended picking up a huge tapa cloth - 14 feet by 6 feet! The (previous) owner was apparently some interior decorator, who picked up this piece in Hawaii for a project that was subsequently canceled.

The cloth is so large, I didn't have room in my house to photograph the entire thing.

Any suggestions on what to do with a giant tapa?

The cloth is actually folded lengthwise. Imagine this twice as wide.

This cloth has a really nice pattern.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-24 7:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-24 18:19, tikipedia wrote:

This cloth has a really nice pattern.

Sell it to me!!! Or, do you need a bar???

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-24 8:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-24 18:19, tikipedia wrote:
The cloth is so large, I didn't have room in my house to photograph the entire thing.

Use it as wall covering. Wrap around the corner, if too big for one wall.
hang a long bamboo pole horizontallly just below the ceiling on a wall and drape it over the pole.
Just remember. do NOT ever cut it. Or glue it to some surface.

[ This Message was edited by: lanikai 2006-06-24 21:07 ]

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-25 03:29 am   Permalink

Try a ceiling. Ceilings have lots of uninterupted space and can be the focal point of your tiki or Hawaiian room. Then on the walls you can paint or cover in bac bac matting and hang all the art you want. It would look fantastic with light sconces shining up highlighting the tapa.

Show pics once you decide. And what great find.
Andy

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-25 5:21 pm   Permalink

Make a Tapa cloth chandalier that's 6 feet tall & 4.45 feet across!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-25 8:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-25 17:21, freddiefreelance wrote:
Make a Tapa cloth chandalier that's 6 feet tall & 4.45 feet across!

Bondage Tiki??
-----

Edit!!!

Oh crap. I read it to fast. I thought you said, Make a Tapa Chamberlier!!!!

I've had a Cramps CD in my truck for the last week. " I can't find my mind!!"

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-06-25 20:39 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-26 04:00 am   Permalink

I saw it rollin past 4th and vine the other day,,,Not a care in the world. If you hurry, you can catch it, Or catch a glimpse of it wheeling along!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-26 06:46 am   Permalink

That's a pretty big one, but there are many much much bigger. I've seen pieces the length of a tennis court! On the islands, it's used at wedding parties and is cut in strips. You'll notice one end has numbers on it. They cut a piece at each line and give to wedding guests.

Don't fret about cutting it. Use it however you find to use it. Make lamps, wall hangings, bar inset panels, etc. It's not precious stuff. You could cover a skyscraper with how much is made on any one island. It's not exactly common here, but it is not scarce. And, that pattern is not all that rare either. Don't feel guilty about taking your great find and cutting it up to make whatever you can imagine.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Al-ii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-26 07:06 am   Permalink

Make a big lamp
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=13608&forum=7&start=0

View Profile of Al-ii Send a personal message to Al-ii  Email Al-ii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-26 09:12 am   Permalink

If I could get my hands on a piece of tapa cloth that big I'd probably cut some lightweight wood panels (luan or something similar). I'd cut the wood panels nearly as wide as the vertical sections of the tapa design and almost as high as the ceiling. Then I'd get a roll of heavy canvas and sandwich the rectangular wood panels between the tapa and canvas. I'd leave areas of cloth around each wood panel just wide enough to carefully hand sew the tapa and canvas together in such a way that would hold the wood panels in tight enough that the tapa cloth wouldn't sag.

Then I'd put the whole thing up against the wall. It could easily bend around room corners at the sections between the wood panels where the tapa cloth and canvas are sewn together. It would serve as a wallcovering that could come with me whenever I change houses.

That's just what I would do. Have fun figuring out what'll work best for you.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-04 2:12 pm   Permalink

Found these two 14'x10' pieces of tapa cloth today...

I admit I know very little about tapa cloth. I do have a book on primitive art that explains design from region to region, but maybe someone could give me a quick Cliff Note lesson on tapa.

Not sure what I will do with them but I sure do like these pieces.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 8:06 pm   Permalink

Killer tapa cloth-Jesus its huuggge!!!!!

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-22 4:35 pm   Permalink

I have a tapa cloth question and I am hoping someone can assist me and provide an answer. I just bought a large tapestry, its sort of like the one pictured at the beginning of the post. How can I tell if it is real tapa cloth? I know mine is not fabric,and its got a soft feel to it and it feels almost like paper. When you look closely it looks sort of woven. The ends are all uneven and frayed which makes me think its real, but I dont know anything about tapa so I cant tell. I will post a photo when it stops raining here and I can get the tapestry out of the car, I dont want to ruin it in a downpour. Thanks in advance for any info.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-22 4:55 pm   Permalink

ALL I can sat is you got to be kidding me that you aint' jumpin fer joy to find a tapa that big ...or really any tapa that you can get a hold of !
Dont know waht to do with it ? Is that a discreet way of asking if somebody wants to buy it from you ?
Gotta say considering the work it takes to make one , a large tapa is an amazing find!
USE IT !
WALLS, CEILING!,BEDROOM,BAR!,LAMPS,FRAMES!....go crazy!
Lucky!..............

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-22 5:59 pm   Permalink

Yeah, you might even be able to do something like this...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31261&forum=18&18

And still have a huge piece leftover. Tapa is primarily made out of mulberry and other barks, hence the name "bark cloth". It has the feel of material, only thicker and more like pulp. It is heavier than regular material and keeps it form rather well.

Here is a little history from Wikipedia...

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkiXEvO9J5N8AlQVXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzNTk5dXBpBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0RGUjVfMTAz/SIG=11ro3jdif/EXP=1240534596/**http%3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapa_cloth

I still have a larger piece and one smaller one, the smaller will be made into a lamp soon!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation