FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Giant Tapa Cloth
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Giant Tapa Cloth
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-22 6:59 pm   Permalink

The only right thing to do with leftover tapa is to create something like this:

But don't take my word for it. Ben liked it enough he bought one so maybe it would be a GREAT money making scheme!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kikkietiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-22 11:21 pm   Permalink

Ummm...is it recyclable tissues? Hey...there's a marketing idea...reusable "green" tissues...ick!

View Profile of Kikkietiki Send a personal message to Kikkietiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-23 5:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-22 16:35, TikiGoddess wrote:
I have a tapa cloth question and I am hoping someone can assist me and provide an answer. I just bought a large tapestry, its sort of like the one pictured at the beginning of the post. How can I tell if it is real tapa cloth? I know mine is not fabric,and its got a soft feel to it and it feels almost like paper. When you look closely it looks sort of woven. The ends are all uneven and frayed which makes me think its real, but I dont know anything about tapa so I cant tell. I will post a photo when it stops raining here and I can get the tapestry out of the car, I dont want to ruin it in a downpour. Thanks in advance for any info.

Ok, here are some photos, can anyone tell me if this is a real tapa cloth? I honestly have no idea. I photo'd the back and a close up of the edge so the weave can be seen. It feels like thick paper, its soft and has a sort of waxy texture. Thanks for any info!!

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-23 5:35 pm   Permalink

Yes, that would be tapa cloth!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-23 5:40 pm   Permalink

THANK YOU!!! Now I can be excited about this!! Thanks!!!!!

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 1:06 pm   Permalink

Picked another Giant Tapa up today! This one is 18'x10'. Gonna put it up in Tiki Marketplace to see if there is any interest here, then on to Ebay!

Later!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kopiko

Posted: 2009-09-08 8:02 pm   Permalink

I'd even consider the Sundial of the exiled on par or a little better then that trinket.
[color=#333333][u] financement automobile | simulation credit | comparatif taux pret auto | calcul voiture [/u][/color][color=#333333]une simulation crédit auto, le souscripteur doit remplir des renseignements[/color][color=#333333][u] financement automobile | simulation credit | comparatif taux pret auto | calcul voiture [/u][/color]

View Profile of kopiko Send a personal message to kopiko      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 11:22 pm   Permalink

I'm just seeing this tapa thread for the first time. I am an expert on Tapa, I even wrote a book about it. I can identify where your pieces are from if anyone is interested in knowing. Most of what Ive seen here is Tongan with the exception of the box with bunny ears thats Fijian.
I will be sure to look more often incase there are any questions I can answer.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 07:50 am   Permalink

Sophista-tiki great to have someone in the know about tapa. I have had this piece for a few years and it hangs on a wall in my home bar. It is nine and a half feet long and a bit over two feet wide. I got it for 18.00$ and thought that was a great deal. I'm thinking that it is Fijian. Any thoughts to it's country of origin and what the patterns may represent? Thanks.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 08:04 am   Permalink

Uncle Trav,
It is Fijian.
Fijian tapa is my favorite, the patterns are so intricate and I love their bold use of the darker color hand painted over the printed parts. Its an unusual shape for a tourist piece which is referred to as "handicraft" so it may actually be a piece that was made as a gift for a wedding.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 08:10 am   Permalink

WOW!! Thanks for the fast reply. Always good to have a little background info to go with the collection. Thanks for your help.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 4:36 pm   Permalink

Posted in tiki finds, but here it goes...

Found another large Tapa on Sunday, this one is 8'x9' different design than I have seen before?

PTD

croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 4:45 pm   Permalink

WOW, PDT, you are a magnet for giant Tapa Cloths!

You just seem to trip over them!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-20 11:48 am   Permalink

Another one today...

PTD

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-20 11:49 am   Permalink

Another one today...

PTD

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation