FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving mission tiki the carvings are coming !
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
mission tiki the carvings are coming !
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-26 11:22 pm   Permalink

Getting things going at the Drive In and thought I would post some pics for y'all

before shot of the marquee garden

Cleared out the old plants and brought in some nice soil to creat some "islands"

After with a few details to post later.

Now for the Easter Isle Garden

Cleared out some trees and dug some holes

Planted some tropical plants and dropped in a Moai or three.

The moais have been coated with a first coat of stucco . I'll post the final coat of black lava rock finish later.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Diablo 2006-12-28 07:54 ]

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pop
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-26 11:30 pm   Permalink

Looking good, you should start a post on building those Giant moais.

View Profile of Tiki Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Pop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-26 11:39 pm   Permalink

Moai good.

GROG like.

GROG look forward to seeing finished drive-in.

GROG

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2006-06-26 23:41 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-27 10:23 am   Permalink

I would be interested in how you made those Moai. I made mine over the weeked seven feet, with 1/4 wire cloth and morter. I put in a lot of time in with the wire (more than nessisary) and the the mortar is also a long procress taking many hours. The problem is that it doesn't stick too great, so I have to lay it down, which I came up with.

I know Bosko does these and I thought a first it was his. You , Bosko and I like doing the same thing, its just that you two are known and making some money. I saw you in Chi-town, take care.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 12:05 am   Permalink

I carved these guys up with a cheapy chainsaw from Lowes ($40) and a block of EPS foam. I just carved it out and finessed (sp?) it with a hand rasp. Coated them with FOAMTEK and finished it off with some colored stucco.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 03:56 am   Permalink

Typical, Excellent work from thechikitiki.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2006-06-28 5:48 pm   Permalink

beautiful work, danny. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. Those Moai are INSANE.

Is that your old Ford pu in the background?

------------
-edit- on closer inspection ('cause I'm an old truck nerd) that moai's in the bed of the pu! If it's your truck, I bet you got some great expressions from passing motorists!

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2006-06-28 17:50 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-29 08:36 am   Permalink

Thanks Ben and Jim for the props. the truck is my 71 ford and yes, people were looking at us while transporting these through the LA traffic. Our funniest tiki transporting adventure was driving the 12 foot moai to Vegas at 100 mph with like 5 feet of moai sticking out the back. People were looking at us like we were from Mars. I like to see the kids reaction , they are the best.

Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-03 9:55 pm   Permalink

almost done

The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-03 9:58 pm   Permalink

Hell yeah!!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-03 10:10 pm   Permalink

oh! that's fantastic!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-03 11:05 pm   Permalink

Very Kool .

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2006-07-03 11:28 pm   Permalink

Love the buried moai. Those look GREAT. You have a great eye for the fine details. Lookin' forward to the opening

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-04 07:57 am   Permalink

Whoa! Land of the Giants!!!

SsweeetT Diablo! and that bit about the speeding moai through the desert:

Quote:
"funniest tiki transporting adventure was driving the 12 foot moai to Vegas at 100 mph with like 5 feet of moai sticking out the back."

Dang near wet my pants rolling on that one, brah!!! HoooHaaaa! That's some Hunter S. Thompson, 'Dr. Gonzo' imagery at it's finest!!!

Thanks for the pic's and what Class A craftsmanship you are creating for the Mission Drive-in...Class-Tiki!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-04 09:43 am   Permalink

TD,

Awesome stuff man! I wish we had things like that back East here. Oh well, I'll see you on Catikilina next month.

Matt

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation