FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Polyurethane or Thompsons Wood protector?
Polyurethane or Thompsons Wood protector?
titan7

Posted: 2006-06-27 10:49 pm   Permalink

First post,
I have a palm Tiki that I would like to keep in good condition. Will Mini wax Spray Poly do the trick vs brushing on Thompsons?

thanks!

View Profile of titan7 Send a personal message to titan7  Email titan7     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 6:32 pm   Permalink

I have not used minwax or thompsons water before, but I have used spar varnish or also known as marine varnish. I bought mine at home depot and its made by berr (sp?).
Good luck and post pics....

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-28 7:58 pm   Permalink

Whatever you put on it, especially if it is a cabbage palm, you need to slather on until it's soaked into the outer layers. Especially the spongy part in the middle of the cut ends...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
titan7

Posted: 2006-06-28 11:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks!!

It's made of Coco Palm, I will try some Poly on it this weekend. I live in So. CA and only keep the tiki poles in the backyard from May to Oct. Once we get rain they come in the house. I don't need super protection.

I only have a small collection of (9) tiki masks, poles, half poles.

They range from the masks I picked up at Home Depot a couple years ago to the nice monkey pod wood pieces I got in Maui last fall, and my latest 4.5 foot tiki.

Lot's of nice info here.

View Profile of titan7 Send a personal message to titan7  Email titan7     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-29 05:12 am   Permalink

I have found the spray is just not thick enough on a large raw piece. Like BK said, the palms will soak it up so be generous with it. I often use the spray as a quick in between coat. In hot sunny Florida, you have to coat often.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation