[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Pendant
Tiki Pendant
Pyrotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-30 2:04 pm   Permalink

Hi Everyone

Here is my first pyrography of a tiki (better known as woodburning). It is done on a tagua nut which I turned it into a pendant. There are three pictures attached to show the stages of the work. I welcome any questions, comments and suggestions. Thanks.

View Profile of Pyrotiki Send a personal message to Pyrotiki  Email Pyrotiki Goto the website of Pyrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-30 6:49 pm   Permalink

Pyro, does this piece have a finish on it, or do you not need to do anything else to it?
I've been waiting for this, Nice stuff!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-30 6:49 pm   Permalink

sorry for the double post ???

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2006-06-30 19:23 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pyrotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-30 7:17 pm   Permalink

Thank you. Yes, I use a special varnish. It is a mineral spirit acrylic aerosol matte varnish named Golden. Expensive but it does the trick.

View Profile of Pyrotiki Send a personal message to Pyrotiki  Email Pyrotiki Goto the website of Pyrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-07-01 12:18 am   Permalink

very nice detail i like

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pyrotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-01 05:58 am   Permalink

Thanks Marcus. I visited your website. You do beautiful work yourself.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-01 6:57 pm   Permalink

Looks very nice. Looking forward to seeing more tikis

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-02 7:34 pm   Permalink

very nice work there. i was looking forward to seeing your work. ben was saying how good you are in a different post. glad to talk to you.
keep it comming

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 10:47 pm   Permalink

Yeah, impressive stuff! What an interesting medium and fine detail. How hard is a tagua nut and won't it rot?

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-09 06:33 am   Permalink

TGap, that Tauga nut is considered "Vegitable Ivory" and it is pretty darned hard and will not decay. It hardens to ivory like hardness.
PyroTiki, where are you, I have a bunch of wood pieces for you!

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-09 3:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben - I googled it - found a good link!

http://www.turtlefeathers.com/text/natural-products/tagua.html

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-07-09 15:21 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pyrotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-13 3:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben for taking the time to answer the question on my behalf. I have been busy these past days.

Here are a couple of websites where you can find out about tagua nuts or purchase them. The Tagua nut is actually the dried seed pod of the Tagua Palm tree. They are harvested from the rainforest in Ecuador. They come in three different sizes if sliced or they come as whole. You can carve or woodburn them as they are soft enough for it.

http://www.oneworldprojects.com/products/tag_raw.shtml

http://www.tagua2go.com/tagua_history.htm

I hope its helps anyone interested in tagua nuts. Sorry I am late.

Pyrotiki

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation