FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Nearly 2 Years in the Making - Tiki Bar is Finished!! (tons of pics)
Nearly 2 Years in the Making - Tiki Bar is Finished!! (tons of pics)
420greg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-05 07:21 am   Permalink

When I first bought my home 5 years ago I started to clear the area to the right of my house. It was basically an overgrown concrete slab that was used for RV parking. Since I did not have an RV, and the new backyard fence would prevent it from ever being used for that purpose, I decided to do something different with the space.

I cleared out all the vegetation and painted the slab gray.

And that is how it sat for 2 years. I was not sure what I wanted to do with the space.
In March of 2003 I went to a party at a friends house and saw the most amazing charcoal grill ever.

I just had to have one. The 2 guys that built it only made 2 of them, I had to convince them ($$) to build me a third.

The grill sat out alone for about a year. I decided to build an arbour over the space to offer some shade.

The patio furniture was also purchased about this time.
It was also about this time we decided to go with a tropical/tiki theme for the space.

I work with a lady who's husband is a mural painter. We gave him a picture we took in Costa Rica on our honeymoon. He are the the results:

Time to build a bar:

The cherry veneer bartop looked really good but it would not stand up to the weather, so we bought 2000 pieces of stained glass off ebay and re-did the bar top:

Some random pictures of the bar:

This is an old freezer converted in to a huge cooler:

Water feature:

We found this ceramic head buried in the flower bed:

The Tikis:

I have a 4th tiki but he appears to have avoided the camera.

Pics of the entire area and some random accessories:

I have some night shots I will post in a few.
I need to go in to photoshop and do some resizing.

View Profile of 420greg Send a personal message to 420greg  Email 420greg Goto the website of 420greg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-05 07:26 am   Permalink

suhweeeet! inspiring. i see a remodel in my future.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
420greg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-05 07:44 am   Permalink

There is a lot of lighting effects. I am a former touring lighting tech, my best friend does the lights for 3 doors down, and my roommate does the lights for Staind, Kirk Franklin, among others. They were able to offer some ideas and insperation.

Here are the night shots:

View Profile of 420greg Send a personal message to 420greg  Email 420greg Goto the website of 420greg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-05 07:58 am   Permalink

If I bring a case of Rum can we come over and play?

Love the bar top, love the lighting!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
420greg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-05 08:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-05 07:58, Chip and Andy wrote:
If I bring a case of Rum can we come over and play?

We plan on having a 'soft opening' party for just board members (to get some expert advice)
before we have the official 'grand opening'.

I will post the information soon.

Greg & Teresa

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-05 09:59 am   Permalink

Nice night shots, but the flames look like they're aboot to set your thatch on fire!
I hope you have good clearance I can't see in the photos!

I'd say it's time to work on your booze collection. Maybe pick up some Myers, Cruzan & Appleton Estate rums, some limes, maybe start growing a little mint in the backyard? You're off to a good start!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
420greg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-05 10:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-05 09:59, Tikiwahine wrote:
Nice night shots, but the flames look like they're aboot to set your thatch on fire!
I hope you have good clearance I can't see in the photos!

The thatch was all soaked in fire retardant for 24 hours before installation. I put a torch to it during testing and it was impossible to ignite.

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-05 12:15 pm   Permalink

Very nice! The night shots are especially captivating. Makes me want to leave work right now and go someplace for a rum drink...

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 12:34 pm   Permalink

Lighting is out-standing !!!! Did the guy who painted the mural painted the rocks on the bottom {ground} ????
Nice Work Greg !!!! Worth a trip up die-4 oops I-4

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 2:30 pm   Permalink

Oh man!

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 2:46 pm   Permalink

Teh Drooooll!

Me likey!

Lots of work there in O town brah. How are the neighbors holding up?

Hope we get an invite

Mahalo

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 6:25 pm   Permalink

greg, Teresa, That is a terrific place! You did a great job!! Its Tropical, cozy and you hit all the areas... very nice

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 7:29 pm   Permalink

That looks great in those night pics! Sweet

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-17 8:49 pm   Permalink

Love the night shots, the lighting looks great.

View Profile of Pyro Send a personal message to Pyro  Email Pyro Goto the website of Pyro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation