FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Seeking Tiki Musicans who played in the 40s-60s Clubs
Seeking Tiki Musicans who played in the 40s-60s Clubs
Andy Volk

Posted: 2006-07-08 1:39 pm   Permalink

Aloha, my name is Andy Volk. I wrote the book Lap Steel Guitar (Centerstream) and I'm a contributing writer to Acoustic Guitar Magazine and Fretboard Journal. I'm working on an article about the music played in Tiki bars and Polynesian restaurants of the 40s - 60s. I'm interested in interviewing musicians who played at The Seven Seas, Don The Beachcombers, Trader Vic's, and other similar clubs around the country that specialized in the Polynesia of the imagination.

I'm also seeking hi-res photos from that era of restaurant interiors, menus, and especially - guitar, uke and steel guitar players. I'd greatly appreciate any help Tiki Central Forumites woould care to offer. And don't worry, I'll also be checking out the search function here. Thanks!

View Profile of Andy Volk Send a personal message to Andy Volk  Goto the website of Andy Volk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 06:13 am   Permalink

I know just the person you need to talk to. Email me and I can get you in contact with an old timer who played all over the country. Summers in Florida and winters in New York, Chicago, etc.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 09:45 am   Permalink

..there's an old timer here in chicago..used to play lap-steel at the kona kai and a few other tiki bars downtown back in the day.....can't recall his name, but i'm sure duke carter might know or james T...anyone from chicago remember this guy?? i think he was at exotica 2003 as a guest, not a performer. contact the old town school of folk music here in the city....it seems to be the place these old timers end up after they cease to be marketable and their music falls from popularity, forcing them to become marginalized or worse, street musicians!!...also contact "the barefoot hawaiians" in des plaines, ill. ...they are still performing and would certainly be able to point you in the right direction as far as tracking down some of the old guys.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Andy Volk

Posted: 2006-07-10 09:53 am   Permalink

Many thanks! Will follow-up.

View Profile of Andy Volk Send a personal message to Andy Volk  Goto the website of Andy Volk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 11:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-10 09:45, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..there's an old timer here in chicago..used to play lap-steel at the kona kai and a few other tiki bars downtown back in the day.....can't recall his name, but i'm sure duke carter might know or james T...anyone from chicago remember this guy?? i think he was at exotica 2003 as a guest, not a performer. contact the old town school of folk music here in the city....it seems to be the place these old timers end up after they cease to be marketable and their music falls from popularity, forcing them to become marginalized or worse, street musicians!!...also contact "the barefoot hawaiians" in des plaines, ill. ...they are still performing and would certainly be able to point you in the right direction as far as tracking down some of the old guys.....

Beau Sterling!!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 2:35 pm   Permalink

that's him!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Andy Volk

Posted: 2006-07-10 3:27 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah, Beau used to play the luau rooms in Chicago in the early 80s. His sister danced the Hula. Thanks!

Also - if anyone has high-res photos of musicans playing in Tiki rooms that you could lend for the article, I'd very much appreciate seeing them.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation