FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Mai Tai, a component study in Mixology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
The Mai Tai, a component study in Mixology
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 11:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-12 11:12, GentleHangman wrote:
What I haven't done yet . . . because I haven't mustered up the courage . . . is to use the Saint James with some of the Appleton Estates 21-year-old . . . maybe some day.

If you have a bottle of the 21, then go for it! But it's not worth buying a bottle just for that. The 21 is very good, and I'm glad that I have a bottle, but when it's gone I'm not going to rush out and buy another. It's a treat, but it's not twice as good as the Extra, yet it is twice the price...

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnyfootballhero

Posted: 2007-10-15 03:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-12 05:03, Chip and Andy wrote:
Yes, but not because of the blue. The only difference in about 99% of the curacao between blue and any other color is the color. You may think it tasted different because it changes the color of your drink so much, but if you taste them blind you will be surprised.

Oh, I knew the dye would not cause a difference, but I did not know whether 1996 blue Marie Brizard inside Spain would taste identical to 2007 orange Marie Brizard outside Spain. So many variables.

Quote:

On 2007-10-12 05:03, Chip and Andy wrote:
Oh, and welcome to Tiki Central Johnnyfootballhero. Always nice to have new livers to chat with.

Did I say liver, my bad. I meant always nice to have new people to chat with.

Heh, thanks either way. My scope is a little limited, but everyone here has been very kind.

View Profile of johnnyfootballhero Send a personal message to johnnyfootballhero  Email johnnyfootballhero     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-18 11:53 am   Permalink

Every time I go into a new place I order a Mai Tai to check out different versions.
I ask for the recipe while sharing the Bums recipe so they don't think I'm trying to steal their secrets.
" Our mai tai? OJ. Pineapple juice, Armaretto and Coke" I had to pass on that one and broke with tradition after many bad drinks calling themselves Mai Tai. I even had a red one that is from some mix?
Suzy and The Tonga Hut served complimentary Mai Tais made the right way at Sven's Tiki Modern book signing last Sunday. Vic would have approved of them himself.
Good job Suzy!

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-10-18 11:59 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paulipbartender

Posted: 2007-11-28 05:22 am   Permalink

I am lucky enough to have a bottle Wray & Nephew 17 year old to compare our Mai Tais to, so I hope I can be scientific about the choice of rum.

We've tasted a lot of rums in Mai Tais and the best - as in closest to the Trader's mindblowing original - feature;

Silver Seal 28 year old Demerara - bottled in Scotland
Appleton 21 Year old
Pussers is very good - preferrably the higher proof original blend

Nothing hits the spot like the 17 year old though. The rich pot still flavours and high proof are essential for a great MT

View Profile of paulipbartender Send a personal message to paulipbartender  Goto the website of paulipbartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-12 11:40 am   Permalink

Allow me to resurrect this well-aged thread with the current link to the $100 Mai Tai article, since the links at the beginning of the thread are broken:

http://www.clubtiki.com/journal/2010/1/14/the-100-mai-tai.html

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-12 1:23 pm   Permalink

Here's one of my favorites....

One fifth Saint James 15-year Hors D'Age Rum $44.99
One fifth Appleton Estate 12-year rum $27.99
One bottle Clement Creole Shrubb Orange $31.99
One bottle Trader Vic orgeat syrup $5.99
One bottle Trader Vic rock candy syrup $5.99
One pound fresh limes $1.29
One bunch fresh mint $1.99
TOTAL: $120.23

Although last night I ran out of Shrubb and used Senior Curacao at $25.99 a bottle or $118.23 Mai Tai's.

Cheers,
Chris

Oh, and I like to slip some Smith and Cross into my Mai Tai every now and then. I really like the funk in that rum.

[ This Message was edited by: WestADad 2012-04-12 13:25 ]

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation