[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Some tiki drink tips
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Some tiki drink tips
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-11 10:47 am   Permalink

Here are some I'd picked up, hopefully by reading this thread I can pick up some more.

* You get more juice from citrus if you smack them around a bit beforehand. You don't want to break the skin or anything, but you want the citrus to be squishy instead of firm when you take the knife to it.

* A lot of tiki drinks that call for a gold rum and a white rum aren't trying to turn you into a master blender. They're following an old trick of Don the Beachcomber's (I think) where you mix together different amounts of rum *from the same distillery*, one unaged (or as close as you can get) and the other extra-aged, so you can always get just the right amount of "aged" flavor without having to mess around with multiple bottlings of the same rum at different years. I use Castillo Silver and Bacardi 8 for this.

So what are your tiki drink tips?

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 11:15 am   Permalink

Always shake with crushed ice, and shake in a figure-eight motion.
It creates the correct amount of meltage(water) required in tiki drinks, and chills them to a good, very cold temperature.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 11:29 am   Permalink

It's common practice to firmly roll your citrus before you juice it. Easier than beating it up.

I may be dispelling the mystery, but, in my opinion, the real reason for using crushed ice instead of cubed is you can pour an ounce less beverage in a glass of crushed ice than in a glass of cubed ice and fill it. Thus, you give the customer less drink for their money and they are none the wiser!

Don Beach was a genius!

My best drink tip, always double the recipe. Why? It makes the measurements easier (1/2 ounce which requires a table spoon, becomes and ounce which uses a jigger; 1 1/2 ounces similarly becomes 3 ounces...). It also allows a little more error room. The larger the batch, the better the batch, usually.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-11 10:47, mbanu wrote:
... A lot of tiki drinks that call for a gold rum and a white rum aren't trying to turn you into a master blender. ...

It is more than that. Most drinks call for not just Light and Dark rum, but specify a Jamaican and a Martinique rum. The different distilleries using different canes grown in different soils and climates add quite a bit to the flavor of the rum, and therefore add quite a bit of complexity to the drink.

And my tip... The important thing is the rhythm. You shouId aIways have rhythm in your shaking. A Manhattan you shake to a fox trot. A Bronx to a two-step time. A dry martini you aIways shake to waItzes.

One more shaker tip, as soon as you are done pouring the drink, take the top off of your shaker. It is less likely to stick together that way.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-11 7:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-11 16:03, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-07-11 10:47, mbanu wrote:
... A lot of tiki drinks that call for a gold rum and a white rum aren't trying to turn you into a master blender. ...

It is more than that. Most drinks call for not just Light and Dark rum, but specify a Jamaican and a Martinique rum. The different distilleries using different canes grown in different soils and climates add quite a bit to the flavor of the rum, and therefore add quite a bit of complexity to the drink.

Well, this is one of those Trader Vic style vs. Don the Beachcomber style things, I think. (Could be wrong) I get the impression that the way Trader Vic went about making drinks was to find the perfect rum, and then build a drink around it. Then if/when the rum became scare, to blend together a bunch of other rums to replicate the flavor of the original. It's what he did with the Mai Tai when he ran out of the 17 year Jamaican, and it's what he did with the Scorpion when he couldn't find a reliable source of okolehao. So with his drinks, it might not apply. After all, he didn't steal *all* of Don's tricks, or he'd have had drunken mynah birds in all his bars.

[ This Message was edited by: mbanu 2006-07-11 19:28 ]

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-11 7:56 pm   Permalink

Make crushed ice by placing ice into a plastic bag, wrap in tea towel and smack it ta betsy with a rolling pin.

I know this sound a crap tip but i spent ages using ice crushers to make a tiny amount of shaved ice and a lot of sweat. Also if you just wrap the ice in the towel it sticks to the cloth and often gets flavoured by your washing powder, not good and use a clean plastic bag, an old breadbag put unwanted breadcrumbs in a mai tai.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-12 06:28 am   Permalink

A little common sense thing I am just starting to use...

Do all your mixing with a bar towel on the counter/bar. You are going to make a mess, and it'll be a sticky one. And you will be drinking, so you won't care. Next day, you will care and you may find stained counters (Grenadine is the worst!) or ants... Plan on it ahead of time and just work over a towel.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-12 07:29 am   Permalink

I find Crushed Ice in your shaker chills the drink much quicker than Ice Cubes, especially when making drinks that require no ice in the final product, ie. A Daquiri.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-12 10:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-11 16:03, Chip and Andy wrote:
And my tip... The important thing is the rhythm. You shouId aIways have rhythm in your shaking. A Manhattan you shake to a fox trot. A Bronx to a two-step time. A dry martini you aIways shake to waItzes.

Ah, the Thin Man!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
reedalong
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-12 11:19 am   Permalink

I have never been able to master it, but I saw an elderly female bartender in Tahiti who crushed ice at a rapid pace by holding the cube in her hand, wacking it with a wooden muddler tool, throwing the crushed ice in the glass and repeating with the next cube.

- strictly on the kini popo -

View Profile of reedalong Send a personal message to reedalong      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-12 1:57 pm   Permalink

I agree with atomictonytiki. Back in the 60's, my father used an ice bag with a little bat which he used to make crushed ice for drinks. The bag was made of a tightly woven canvas-like material and the ice didn't stick to it. Over the years I've seen these things at specialty cooking shops from time to time, but have always kicked myself later for not picking one up. Haven't seen one in quite a while. Any clues where to get one??

[ This Message was edited by: quickiki 2006-07-12 13:59 ]

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-12 7:05 pm   Permalink

These are all great tips! Here's another--when doubling a recipe, you may NOT want to double the Pernod. Pernod: RUINER OF ALL!

Actually, in all seriousness, Pernod is tough to double. Usually if one drink calls for 1/8 tsp., you can get by with 1/8 tsp in 2. If you use 1/4 it usually tastes too strong. Not sure why it works that way, it just does.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-13 09:09 am   Permalink

Quote:
The important thing is the rhythm. You shouId aIways have rhythm in your shaking. A Manhattan you shake to a fox trot. A Bronx to a two-step time. A dry martini you aIways shake to waltzes.

I know it's a film quote, but lest anyone be confused...

Never shake a martini. Please.

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-07-13 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Back in the 60's, my father used an ice bag with a little bat which he used to make crushed ice for drinks. The bag was made of a tightly woven canvas-like material and the ice didn't stick to it. Over the years I've seen these things at specialty cooking shops from time to time, but have always kicked myself later for not picking one up. Haven't seen one in quite a while. Any clues where to get one??

I've seen this ice bag before at Sur La Table, but can't find it in their online store.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-14 05:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-13 16:03, Rum Balls wrote:
Quote:
Back in the 60's, my father used an ice bag with a little bat which he used to make crushed ice for drinks. The bag was made of a tightly woven canvas-like material and the ice didn't stick to it. Over the years I've seen these things at specialty cooking shops from time to time, but have always kicked myself later for not picking one up. Haven't seen one in quite a while. Any clues where to get one??

I've seen this ice bag before at Sur La Table, but can't find it in their online store.

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I found
The Lewis Ice Bag online.

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation