FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Wall of Voodoo returns
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Wall of Voodoo returns
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 8:20 pm   Permalink

I saw them ( or part of a show) at the Cuckoo's Nest a while back. What I remember, they didn't fit in to well at that venue. Something about a car and a 2 story drop?

But that was then and this is now. Missed them at the Fair but saw Rollins and X.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-13 12:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-12 16:34, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-07-12 12:52, Jungle Trader wrote:

Here I am in
Tijuana
Eating barbecued Iguana
I'm on a Mexican
Radiooo

JT, how'd you know that's my fave Wall of Voodoo song (Ring Of Fire off an earlier EP running close 2nd). I went to see them in 1980 at a downtown bar here called the Zebra Club. It was a good show. A freind of mine I went with (Terry Marine) hated them and dubbed the band "Ball of DooDoo"! I thought that was a little harsh.

Cuz I just knew it Wreck. It's actually,
"Wish I was in
Tiajuana" but who cares. OH AND, while lip synching this song, you must turn your mouth sideways, (to the side of your face). Yeah, now try it in the mirror.
I would love to see these guys in S.F. Somebody remind me or just buy me 2 tickets please. Jab?

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-08-13 19:16 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-13 1:40 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-08-12 16:34, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Quote:

A freind of mine I went with (Terry Marine) hated them and dubbed the band "Ball of DooDoo"! I thought that was a little harsh.

That describes Terry Marine in those days perfectly: little and harsh! Until he became a nice guy and put out the zine "Be My Friend" anyway.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 07:56 am   Permalink

The Jab is buying tickets to the S.F. show. If you want to go with us, send him or me a PM.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-08-18 10:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-18 07:56, Jungle Trader wrote:
The Jab is buying tickets to the S.F. show. If you want to go with us, send him or me a PM.

You can buy tickets at virtuous.com for a $3 fee for each ticket, or the way I do it is go to Slim's web site and print out their fax order from (PDF file) and fax in a credit card order for a $2 fee for each ticket.

http://slims-sf.com

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 1:39 pm   Permalink

Oh, so there's just general seating. No assigned seats? Cool, then that means it must be a smaller more intimate venue.

thejab

Posted: 2006-08-18 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-18 13:39, Jungle Trader wrote:
Oh, so there's just general seating. No assigned seats? Cool, then that means it must be a smaller more intimate venue.

No seats, period. But it's fairly easy to get close to the stage.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 07:06 am   Permalink

You realize this is Stan Ridgway with his backup band, calling himself "Wall of Voodoo", right? I love Stans solo stuff, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to claim himself and non-WOV musicians as WOV. There are at least 2 original members still living, and a few others from the post Stan era - I think it would be a bit more honest to call this "Stan Ridgway performs the songs of WOV"...

Just my two cents!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-08-21 11:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-21 07:06, Tangaroa wrote:
You realize this is Stan Ridgway with his backup band, calling himself "Wall of Voodoo", right? I love Stans solo stuff, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to claim himself and non-WOV musicians as WOV. There are at least 2 original members still living, and a few others from the post Stan era - I think it would be a bit more honest to call this "Stan Ridgway performs the songs of WOV"...

I did not know that and just assumed it was a reunion. I must admit I'm disappointed. According to the WOV myspace page the surviving members were asked to participate but I'm skeptical and wonder why none of them agreed to it. In any case, I'm still looking forward to hearing a Wall of Voodoo set by his current band, but it's not going to be like a real reunion, like the amazing recent shows by the Weirdos, Mission of Burma, and DEVO.

thejab

Posted: 2006-11-21 2:19 pm   Permalink

Now I'm pissed off! Slim's calendar is showing it as Stan Ridgeway, not as Wall of Voodoo. I mean I like Stan Ridgeway and would go to see him but I paid $25 expecting a Wall of Voodoo reunion show!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-21 7:46 pm   Permalink

Maybe Stan was getting a bunch of gruf from disgruntled fans when they found out it wasn't going to be a real WOV reunion show, so he changed the booking.

see ya New Years Jabster.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-11-27 10:26 am   Permalink

For sale: two tickets to Stan Ridgeway show at Slim's in San Francisco, this Saturday, Dec. 2nd. The tickets cost me $27 each including service charges. Make me an offer for one or both.

I have will-call tickets so I can't send the ticket to you - you will have to meet me at the venue on Saturday night.

Send me a PM if you want them.

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2006-11-27 16:06 ]

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-03 09:32 am   Permalink

I'm on a Mexican radio...ooh ooh...Mexican radio.....love WOV, glad to hear they are in action again.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-03 8:10 pm   Permalink

Jab, were you able to turn those tickets around?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-03 8:50 pm   Permalink

Jab and I went. The tickets said WOV w/Stan Ridgway. We stayed for maybe 4 songs then decided to go see The Plimsouls. Much better, more energy.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation