FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-23 09:14 am   Permalink

Your lounge is over-the-top. You really have a special talent of making your visions come true and it is looking like a step back in time for sure. I like the darkness, the stamps turned out great and the floor turned out fabulous. Thanks for posting pictures along the way, I envy your ambitiousness.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 11:47 am   Permalink

Howland, this thread is very inspiring. Can you clarify for me what exactly you did to get the "grout" lines to look darker? I'm amazed by the results of using just paint and duct tape. Our own home bar project is finally about to start and I've been using this shot from the Mai-Kai for my own inspiration:

For the floor, we're wanting to get that slate look, but slate is expensive, so you're giving me the idea to look into just painting the floor. And torching the boo and spraying the walls to give it that aged nicotine look is definitely the way to go.

Keep the pics coming! Can't wait to see more.

[ This Message was edited by: GatorRob 2007-09-23 11:48 ]

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-23 1:57 pm   Permalink

That is a good inspirational picture Gator. I wish I could have something that looks like that, but my lounge is open to the rest of my house and it wouldn't match. The floor in there looks pretty neat. I eventually want to do something like that to part of my garage, so I am interested in how the floor is done. I previously researched concrete floor treatments and will probably get mine painted too. I do park my car in the garage though and would hate to paint something that lifts off on the tires or gets scratched off by chair legs, etc. The grout affect is interesting indeed...plus the darkness of Howland's floor really makes the rest of the room look very well aged.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 6:36 pm   Permalink

Brad you have respect for the real thing; no settling. Resourcefulness! VRN- "I wish I could have something that looks like that, but my lounge is open to the rest of my house and it wouldn't match." I personally believe in this approach: "I wish I could have something that looks like that with my house, but it wouldn't match my lounge". THAT'S having the right priorities!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-23 7:12 pm   Permalink

Well of course you are right. I am kinda of in that eclectic mood...various themes throughout the house, so just doing the best I can to blend it all. It is (hard to almost impossible) to find someone in my neck of the woods to do work at my house...so I have plenty of time to try to envision what would look good. This thread is totally a knock-out, as are a few other home bars that folks post. It is so helpful to see how people do their lounges from start to finish.

Howland you have quite the talent!!!

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-09-23 10:25 pm   Permalink

Awesome looking tiki room Howland! GROG like.

[ This Message was edited by: grog 2007-09-23 22:27 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-29 1:51 pm   Permalink

Great progress love the floor!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-03 7:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-23 11:47, GatorRob wrote:
Can you clarify for me what exactly you did to get the "grout" lines to look darker? I'm amazed by the results of using just paint and duct tape. Our own home bar project is finally about to start and I've been using this shot from the Mai-Kai for my own inspiration:

For the floor, we're wanting to get that slate look, but slate is expensive, so you're giving me the idea to look into just painting the floor. And torching the boo and spraying the walls to give it that aged nicotine look is definitely the way to go.

Keep the pics coming! Can't wait to see more.

[ This Message was edited by: GatorRob 2007-09-23 11:48 ]

Hey GatorRob--when I saw how white my grout lines looked, I just mixed some of the floor paint w/some mineral spirits to thin it out a bit, then just painted the entire floor over with it. It made the 'grout' lines a good bit darker but didn't seem to affect the 'stone' portions of the floor since they were already very dark. I'm guessin' I ended up using about a half-n-half mixture of paint/spirits. I experimented on the area behind the bar to get it right. It dries to alot lighter of a color than when it's wet so it's good to have an area you can run some tests on (and let them dry) before you start doing the whole floor--another option would be to paint the whole floor to the desired grout color THEN do the tape/stonepaint. I've gazed over many Mai Kai pics for my inspiration too.

Quote:

On 2007-09-23 13:57, VampiressRN wrote:
I do park my car in the garage though and would hate to paint something that lifts off on the tires or gets scratched off by chair legs, etc. T

Thanx VRN- the paint I used is made for garage floors and it's supposed to be superduper durable and resistant to all kinds of spills and stuff --so far-so good. You can get it at any DIY or hardware store but your color palette is very limited--no Martha Stewart or Ralph Lauren shades with this stuff.

Thanx for the props, BK and Clarita. Brad glad Grog like, too!

Have had a little time to put the bar together. Still undecided about what to do with the top and what to do for the outer edge of the top. I've got a few ideas--just haven't weeded out the good from the bad ideas yet.

Here's some shots.

painted so wood wouldn't show through between bamboo

you can kinda see where I made a section of the bar top that folds out of the way and you can push the door open that's mounted on spring hinges to get behind the bar.

Here's a better shot of hinged top and door under it.

with bamboo applied with nail gun and a couple a' beads of liquid nails.

Set my backbar aquarium up last night too. Still need some fish or some little mermaids would be extra nice

OK-on to phase 2,837 now
Thanks fer lookin' and I'll be back with you shawtly.

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2007-10-03 19:41 ]

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-03 7:45 pm   Permalink

BRAVO MR. HOWLAND!
the bar is snazzing up well! In MUGOOMBA at TikiFarm,Holden just put various mugs in the aquariums! great place for them to wander and hide! Your junglaroo is gettin MAGICKER by the minute! what talent and perserverance you have!!!!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-03 9:41 pm   Permalink

Wow, good lookin' lounge, very nicely put together. Can't wait to see it all decorated.

A note on floor paints:
#1: buy the best stuff you can find, I like Kelly-Moore. Use an epoxy if you can get your hands on it.
#2: follow the directions closely and do all the prep work, this involves some throrough cleaning.
#3: if using a latex, let it dry for the full time, usually about 30 days, before getting any liquid on it. That especially includes STRONG RUM DRINK. After that, it's virtually waterproof, however any undiluted alcohol should be cleaned up quickly.
#4: the nice thing about floor paint is, if it gets messed up, you just touch up that spot rather than replace the whole floor!

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-03 10:41 pm   Permalink

Oooooooh...that looks tight!!! Great bar construction too and the light is great.

Thanks to everyone for the info on the floor...I really like the way yours turned out...really looks like slate.

Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 7:22 pm   Permalink

Thankos LLT! I considered dunkin' a mug or 2 in tank--that's a great idea.

Thanks Stu of the Bamboo--I did use an epoxy--TUFF STUFF! Good painterly pointers too.

Glad you're diggin' it VRN. I'm happy w/it so far.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 09:42 am   Permalink

Bula Vinaka Brad. OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!( that's Oh my goonies) soooooo super cool. once again Im completely inspired. Ive been madly working on my basement apt. just finished framing up the last room and getting the electrical in.
Ive got a couple of stupid questions about some of your techniques. Looking at your progress pics is definitely going to influence some of my design decisions.
I'M sooo doing the faux floor stone paint technique on my concrete. and thanks for the birthday wishes!!!! I will PM you with my stupid questions as to not embasase myself with my nievity. Dawn

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2007-10-05 09:43 ]

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 10:01 am   Permalink

That is INSANE! Looks great! I might be asking you some questions too when I get around to working on my basement!

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 11:24 am   Permalink

This is so gorgeous. Wow. I am speechless! Absolutely stunning work!

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation