FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
TikiSOX
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-11 10:53 am   Permalink

I'm so glad I discovered this thread. What an incredible piece of work! This is absolutely gorgeous. I especially love that faux tapa. Absolutely beautiful and a real living memorial to the old school.

View Profile of TikiSOX Send a personal message to TikiSOX  Email TikiSOX     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-15 5:22 pm   Permalink

That's the ticket! No more excuses for white walls! If THIS, the very first layer of the completely otherworldly environment that a Tiki haven is supposed to be, is not there, whatever comes after is weakened.

I just recommended you to my contact at Trader Vic's as cure for their new "Tiki Lite" lounges...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-28 4:57 pm   Permalink

Thanx, Dawn, TF1, Suzanne, TSOX, BigBro. Didn't mean to leave you guys hanging for so long without giving mahalos for the comments.

Quote:

On 2007-10-15 17:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
I just recommended you to my contact at Trader Vic's as cure for their new "Tiki Lite" lounges...

I'd be delighted to darken up the place a bit on the new TV 'Lite' establishments. Have tapa stamps...will travel!

I've been working on some lamps for the ceiling in my room. Here's one I get a kick out of.....

Here's a shot of the 'puffer-in-the-float' lamp with some other hat/basket type beachcomber lamps in the background that I've been putting together as I find the appropriate materials.

Yaaaaggggggs! Turn those lights back off! Still gotta put some boo up on the ceiling before I can put these lights where they're going to stay. They're just kinda hangin' around now.

Last but not least, here's a shot from the other direction showing the bar with lighting installed underneath, the clam shell sconce and the new puff-n-float lamp. I have a philsophy on rope lights, which I used under the bar. The device that produces the light should not be seen--only the light it produces should be seen. Rope lights just have a modern cheese (bad cheesy, as opposed to the good cheesy), disco-ey, nite club vibe to them IMO and that's not the look I'm after. I do appreciate the warm glow on the bamboo produced by the rope light though.

Back soon,
Brad

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-28 5:01 pm   Permalink

Very nice...very nice.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-28 11:36 pm   Permalink

Very nice! It's like you're setting the mood before our eyes...

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-28 11:57 pm   Permalink

Just gorgeous Howland, nice lamp and bar!!!!!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 01:29 am   Permalink

I love everything. You rule!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 7:51 pm   Permalink

Details...it's all in the details. Your home bar and the work that you've put into it is absolutely stunning.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-30 5:50 pm   Permalink

Mucho thanx Matt, Sam, Sneaks, Paps and PolyN. Been a busy boy here the past couple'a days. Will post you some new looks in 2 days or so...check back soon,
Mahalo,
Brad

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-14 07:30 am   Permalink

A little faux bamboo paint job on my bar edging fer ye.

Base coat

Finished w/ faux bamboo. Base coated, glazed, nodes painted, sealed and toned to make a little darker like the rest of my real bamboo. Sorry-no stepxstep pics when I was doing this, had to work fast.

Here I've placed a pile of scanned, photoed or otherwise copied and printed ephemera on the bar top. I used Modgepodge (sp?) to hold it down then the pour on resin gets poured on.

Another shot of the bar top--pre pour.

You can't really tell in this pic but the 'Pour-on' resin has been applied, dried and is good to go. You can see the reflection of the bamboo in the background of the pic on the bartop that might give you an indication of how slick, thick and shmoooov this stuff is. It's really laid on thick too-prolly close to a quarter inch thick.

Mo pics soon--got a lot done in the Jungalero Room last night to get ready for a large party this coming Sat. 12-15 so I'll get those pics up as soon as I can find the time. Tanx for looking.
Brad

www.myspace.com/bhowland

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2007-12-14 07:33 ]

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-14 07:41 am   Permalink

mmmmm, I can taste the drinks already. Looking good my man.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-14 07:47 am   Permalink

I love it when there's an update to this thread.

Another piece of quality work. Cant wait for more pics.

good luck for the inaugural shindig!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-14 09:31 am   Permalink

COOOOLLLLL!!!!! you are the most excellent craftsman. I havent had time to start on my built in bar yet, but I will just as soon as I get back from camping on the cook Islands. Dawn

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-14 10:10 am   Permalink

Wow Brad, that is looking more and more bad ass every time I see it. What kind of pour on resin did you use?

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-14 10:37 am   Permalink

Ha! I just emailed you on progress, and here it is! Way nice. I agree on the rope light. That's exactly how my bar will be. Weird. Split bamboo curved front with rope light under. If rope light can be dimmed, even way better.

Wish Ms Swanky and I could be there tomorrow night for the party. We'll get over and see the new upgrades soon.

East Coast Tiki!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation