FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 06:25 am   Permalink

LittleLostTiki, Polynesiac, Monkeyman, Gman and Conga of the north! What a fine lot of artists and craftsmen to be getting compliments from. You guys (as well as most of the ohana here) are all geniuses of skill and style and I appreciate every kind word--that's where 'drive' comes from.

Gman and Conga- I would put some of this stuff on the carving only forum, just not that advanced on the 'how to do this-n-that' here yet.

Gotta lotta stuff done again yesterday and last night. Went by the print shop yesterday morning and printed out my gable pattern full size. I printed it out on the big 'laserwriter' on sheets of screenprinters vellum (13 x 18 inches, I believe). Vellum is translucent or transparent and very durable so any pattern printed on it could be reused many times. Beats the heck out of using 8.5 x 11 printer paper from the HP deskjet like I used for the pakura fascia.

Here's '2 by teko' trying out his new perching spot. I had to clamp him up there after I built the gable frame just to get a look at the vibe I'm shootin' for. Said he flew up there...I had to fly up there and get him down. (Trivia time--where did that last sentence come from????)

Checkin' the vibe level--That's a piece of copper pipe coming out from his hands -thanks, shutterfly for the crop job. It will be the spear/harpoon. I will probably use a peice of bamboo-the pipe was just laying around.The thing that looks like it's sticking out from his arse is a clamp.

Here's the pattern on the vellum and a gable half with the transferred pattern:

Into the carve zone---leave me be and let me go--see you when I'm done!:

Got halfway done carving last night. At 12:50 am, as much as I hated to, I had to call it quits.

We'll see what kind of progress happens today as I have a few more days of
'tiki-time'

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 08:19 am   Permalink

Wow. Thats freaking awesome. Was it all done with just the parting chisel? Thanks for sharing.
Cant wait to see it all done.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 6:33 pm   Permalink

SnT,

You are a madman. This is killer stuff. I can't wait to see your next update. You wanna come down here and make me a structure like that? WOW!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 7:37 pm   Permalink

Thanx Rodeo--Yes it 99% parting chiz, 'cept for the wider reccessed areas (the 'flower' looking part-toward the right). I scooped that out with a small 'C' shaped chisel. (gouge?)

G- Hope you're not too disappointed with this lame, 1 picture update. I'll catch up tommorrow morn. Yeah, I'll come down there and fix you up a hut--should I wear my football helmet?

Got the gable carving finished and stained today. Took one shot and camera batts died--then hellfire thunderstorm action broke loose on me--then it got dark---then i got tired-then blablablabla--you know the story.

Here's the one pic I did get before I was shut down by the events mentioned above. I'm really pleased with the way it's turning out.

Mo' betta pics tommorrow morn.....

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 7:57 pm   Permalink

VERRRRY NIIICE! I can't believe this stuff you are bangin out! If you come this-a-way, you better wear headgear - and bring that dermabond stuff!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 8:05 pm   Permalink

Gman-----HAAAA! Between you, Aaron and myself, we could have a bloodbath of a carving session--I'll see if I can acquire more dermabond for all of us!

Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 8:35 pm   Permalink

Insane work! I'm loving it.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 01:54 am   Permalink

This is one of the best backyard tiki temples I've seen so far. I can't wait till it's done.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 05:46 am   Permalink

Buwahahahaaaa. "Football helmet" I think he's moving his exhaust. NEwayz, awesome and speedy work there SnT! What music do you carve to? Must be speed metal.

Get another battery to rotate

Keep posting up what's being done. This thing is going far faster than mine did. Nice, Nice details sir.

Mahalo

Mc

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 06:19 am   Permalink

Damn, Mee too, how did I miss it. This is one Awesome job and i Love your tiki. Gotta send me pix of the whole thing when done..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 06:36 am   Permalink

great work. Wish I wasnt always in a hurry Id get some suff like that on my bar

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 07:33 am   Permalink

I forgot to mention the Recip carver is Best with the V-Liner. It would walk through thet in 1/4th the time you can do it by hand. You really need to try one..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
burningman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-26 07:53 am   Permalink

I'm a newb here but I gotta say SnT I love this and am gonna follow this closely. Keep up the great work mate!!!

View Profile of burningman Send a personal message to burningman  Email burningman Goto the website of burningman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 09:10 am   Permalink

Amazing stuff! I love watching it progress.

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-27 09:42 am   Permalink

Ch-ch-ch-checkin' back in- a fews day late and a few dolla's short. Been hotter'n a dozen hells here and I just had to take a break for a few days.

Mahalo's to all:

Mctiki---- no speed metal for me, makes me jittery. Carving part did go by pretty quick, maybe 4-4n'a half hours total carve time on gable. (quick for me)

Benzart----your genius is not only revealed in your work but also in your methodology. I gotta get me one of them 'lectric recip carvin' machines. If you happen back across here, shoot me the name of a good one or two to consider.

Thanatos---your set-up looks like a cool place to hang--loved your party pics-you guys know how yo have fun! Bikinis and beer--woohoo!

QueenK---your house 'ROCKS'!!!!

This phase of the project is slowing down a bit but here's what I've got.
Here's the gable 'unit' --both sides carved, stained with ebony stain then sanded most of the stain off the surface. The horizontal board across the midsection is a brace I screwed to the back to keep it in one peice.

here's a closeup of the top. You can see where I royally 'effed-up' the joint between the 2 halves--I cut a little right of center. Also goofed up my notch a little at the very top. Surf-n-turfism: when one becomes a master of mistakes, he also becomes a master of disguising his mistakes. We'll see.

Here's a shot of the gable clamped into place with the '2 by Teko' clamped into place as well.

Here's a close up.

I've got some work to do--I've got to come up with some kind of idea to make his feet meet the gable instead of having the gap between his feet and the gable. I'm thinking of some kind of carved, decorative trim that will meet his feet and also cover up my boo-boos on the gable top. Thinkin' cap on--check back soon. Got any ideas--shootem' to me, I'm open for suggestions. Thanks for looking!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation