FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Kirby!!! This Is War!! c-AL First Tiki Necklace
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kirby!!! This Is War!! c-AL First Tiki Necklace
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 01:25 am   Permalink

here is an item I'm working on for release at My Ten Year Show in Long Beach Aug 18th....

'06 marks Ten years since the first tiki necklace I carved for mass-production with my 'Realistic Wood Look'...

ya right, but I did cast allot of these guys personally in my first few years in the tiki biz.... this was the first of five tiki necklaces that I had in my '96 catalog in natural, green, black and red colors,... also available as keychains.
Back then, other then Tiki King, Coco-Joe's in Hawaii was the only Co. making the neck charms and keychains. They where hard to get a-hold of and soon went out of business. the king is still around...
Tiki neck charms where one of the first things Tiki fans asked for. Just under 2 1/2 inches, this guy was considered to big for the majority of the buying public. At $8 a pop they didn't sell all that well ten years ago. At $4 a pop wholesale they proved to labor intensive to cast, stain, drill and string myself... so I stopped making them.

A little drifty toucan told me Tiki Tony found one of these necklaces for sale on the Huntington Beach pier and sent him a carving... he can't sell his hand carved one of a kind drift wood neck charms fast enough for $10....yikes! labor intensive???
Thank the Tikis! that I fund a bag or two of rejects that i stashed way.. i started drilling and staining and stringing... I couldn't sell them fast enough for $10.... till that Tony got so dang popular with real wood tikis...... However all my found rejects sold....

any way as part of my 'ten year' shows, I'm re-releasing this first design with a small addition to the original sculpt....

Available in numbered short runs of custom colored resin, in an array of colors....

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2006-08-12 09:57 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 03:41 am   Permalink

How do you make the casting from the original piece?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 08:58 am   Permalink

Tiki magic!
nothing a good book on mold making couldn't tell ya...

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 10:51 am   Permalink

You da man...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 11:11 am   Permalink

Ten freakin' years! Awesome.
I have two of your chess pieces sitting on our entertainment center and they are great. Lookin all happy and cool watching the family roll by.
What other colors comprise the array?

-Happy Skull-ptures---

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 12:56 pm   Permalink

Man, How Cool is that!?? WAY Cool! I want one..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 1:29 pm   Permalink

C' Al! Congrats on ten years of setting the standard for design and execution and just overall wow factor! If I could have 1/10th the freakin' skills you got, I'd be feeling good about my carvings! I think that's why I'm painting more! haha! anyhow! thanks for inspiring!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 3:29 pm   Permalink

Doesn't matter, found another thread that explains what I wanted to know.

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2006-07-23 23:46 ]

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 09:53 am   Permalink

Certain Annihilation!!
OK Kirby.... I'm a lover not a fighter so your resin army is safe...... does your tiki need oiling?? (B.Ben told me to say that)

any way a bit-o stringing to prepare the 100 Black!!!

a bit o paint for the 'Spacial Forces'

The logistics of such the troops sucks, but they look good all together.

kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 2:11 pm   Permalink

i dig the black and bright green ones, c'al. i hope you have a couple left after long beach.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 7:42 pm   Permalink

Hey Crazy Al-

Have you been reading the Un-Tiki Thread on the main page?

I'm not sure about those colors.

Some might not like them.

Sharpen your axe for Catalina. Just in case.

I like them and still think YOU ARE TIKI.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 8:54 pm   Permalink

Hey Al - you were way ahead of your time... Really!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-13 2:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-12 20:54, Sam Gambino wrote:
Hey Al - you were way ahead of your time... Really!

The key word is WERE. Now you're just a washedup has-been trying to relive your previous glory. Long-live KIRBY!!!!

(P.S. Love ya Al! Arrrrrrr!!!!!!!!)

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-13 2:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-12 19:42, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hey Crazy Al-

Have you been reading the Un-Tiki Thread on the main page?

I'm not sure about those colors.

Some might not like them.

Sharpen your axe for Catalina. Just in case.

I like them and still think YOU ARE TIKI.

B-Ben,
What credentials do you have for deciding what's Tiki? Now if you were the grandson of somebody like Don the Beachcomber, Thor Heyerdahl,Leroy Schmaltz, or such, I could see how you would be qualified to offer your opinion.

(P.S. Love ya Ben! Arrrrrrr!!!!!!)

Counting down the days to your Long Beach Ten Year Retrospective, C-Al! Looikng forward to it.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-13 6:20 pm   Permalink

Oh shit it looks like im gonna need sum reinforcements... Thats an impressive group of soldiers you got there dude...It lookes like your setting up for tiki world domination...hile crazy al....

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation