FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Left Coast Benzart Carving Seminar.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Left Coast Benzart Carving Seminar.
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-29 9:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks to everyone involved for this event, it was incredible.

Thanks to Matt for his great place, Moki and Ric for doing all sorts of work to pull this off, to Benzart, Bosko and Diablo for being great teachers, Mason for being so much help all the time.

I learned so much from all the other attendees, and got so much help, I really learned how amazing of a community this is.

I'll post up my pictures soon once I get them organized.

Thanks again to *everyone* it was an amazing weekend, because I got to spend it with such great people. Can't wait for the next event!

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-29 11:44 pm   Permalink

Well I finally got home, the train from hell was two and a half hours late...I think I froze to death just waiting for it along with all my 300 football loving homies. I had the best time, it was great meeting Benz and his lovely wife. I got to carve a small tiki and actually finished it, well kind of...The food Monica made was just great. And everyone was so nice and welcoming. I can't wait to do this again. Oh I almost forgot I also cut my finger but no infection. What a great day, thanks again everyone and lets do it again soon.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 07:58 am   Permalink

What can I say??
Here I am sitting in my hotel room and it's monday morning and my plane leaves in a couple hours. I Can't believe its over,,Major let-down. This will be a Most Memorable weekend for me and Sherry. The Aloha spiritwas flying high all weekend, The warm welcomes we had from everyone were just heartwarming and emotional. Everyone was so happy to see us and did their best to make us feel at home. I am tired and sore everywhere, but would go back for another day of carving if it were at all possible. Leaving San Diego will be very difficult. Right now you could very easily talk me into staying here forever, moving here, lock stock and barrel. Big Mahalos for all responsible for putting this event together, happyhappyhappy.
I have a ton of pictures to post when I get home( I only took about490 shots) so look for more soon
Until then thanks to everyone who welcomed us and made us feel just like Family

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 08:08 am   Permalink

Nice. Looks like a blast!

Diablo... love the hat!

Anyone have any more pictures of this cannibal tiki?

Looks like a great start... would love to see how it turned out.

I spy a Utilikilt in the picture too!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-10-30 11:26 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 08:55 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: ookoo lady 2006-10-30 12:56 ]

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 11:27 am   Permalink

I can't imagine it being any more perfect than it was! Ben I respected your work before, but now fuggetaboutit! Eventhough I gave up and had to walk away I will get back to it, but man talk about intense! Thank you for flying out and taking the time to show us the way.
The same goes for Bosko and Danny, thank you! You two made it alot less frustrating to be out there carving! If we stumbled you guys were there to help fix up the flubs and get us back on track.
But "THE MAN" is definitely Mason, out there with words of encouragement! What a great kid, he was happy to be there helping out any carver that needed it, at least thats how it semed to this newbie tiki carving geek, Mason was very helpful! A million MAHALO'S to Mason!
The hosts of this the Left Coast Carving Seminar know a little sumthn sumthn on how to entertain! The Lava Flow Inn was overwhelming, what a place, if I dare say the perfect place for this event! Matt sure made me feel welcome and comfortable, thank you! Al-li thanks for the special drink you made just for me...yummmm!
Onatiki and Moki thanks for opening up your beautiful home and giving me a soft place to lay my very tired sawdusty head. You'll never know how thankful I am to all involved who got this seminar to happen!
And thanks to everyone (especially Tikimecula and VonTiki) who were so nice to lend me "the right" chisels, mallets, propane tanks and sand paper to help me get my tiki done.
Learing to carve has been something I have wanted to attempt for a long time but have just been too afraid to try it. The place, the teachers, the food, the drinks, the company.... Monkeyman is right... it IS all about the people!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 11:32 am   Permalink

Wow, where to start. The 'Oki 'Oki was so fun. I had a blast. I wont recap everything, but I would like to send out the big thank you's.
Anthony- for the use of his tent.
GROG-for the cool poster and general good nature.
Kirby-for the pendant.
TikiLee-for the grab bag of tiki bottle openers.
Cammo-for the book and cd's.
Buzzy-for the coconuts.
TikiTikiBoom-for the last minute passionfruit syrup.
Al-for tending bar. Great Mai Tai's
Dawntiki-for the rum and tiki bowling set.
PDrake-for the woodcarving and cast Moai pendant.(we'll find that damn camera)
Tikimecula-for the amazing warclub #6 a most generous and staggering gift.And for hauling the AAC blocks to the event.
To Benzarts wonderfull wife Sherry-for all your help with the food set up and serving.
Monkeyman-for being the perfect houseguest(I caught him reading Dr. Suess books to my kids early Sunday morning). And for the help with all the trash not to mention bar-tending.
Big thanks to Vontiki-for suppling half the logs-huge savior. Sorry about your camera getting crushed.
Heath-A paying attendie who helped provide, clean and carry logs, bought ice,cleaned up,hauled trash-his list goes on and on. Amazing friend-amazing person.
To the teachers;Bosko,Danny, you two kick ass! You kept it fun and informative. Fantastic job. Mason was a great help.
Benzart-What a trooper. Thanks for everything (minus torturing my dog).You really go the extra mile (literally) and I know we all loved it.
To everyone who attended-thanks for your great work and warm personalities.
Finally to 'Onatiki and Moki-Thank you sooo much for all the hard work and headaches you endured. You are truly what this whole "tiki thing" is about. To know one person so cool in a lifetime is lucky. I am proud to say that I know two.
Mahalo and cheers.
Matt

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VonTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-30 11:44 am   Permalink

What an awesome weekend!!!
I certainly learned alot about chiseling that I didn't know.Thanks so much to Danny, Bosko, Maso, and Ben for the instruction. You guys are highly skilled. There were so many awesome carvings and new tikis that were born into the world last weekend it's amazing.
Rick,Matt,Monica, you guys are so cool. What a fantastic atmosphere you created and shared.You certainly made me feel welcome and the food was off the hook. Drinks too!!
It was a good time meeting and spending time with so may other tiki enthusiasts.
I'm looking forward to our next event.
See you there!!
Thanks again, what a blast!!!
-Dustin
VonTiki

View Profile of VonTiki Send a personal message to VonTiki  Email VonTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 12:58 pm   Permalink

well, first off, i found the camera. hiding in a hidy hole in my suitcase. thanks to everyone who helped me look. i'm more glad i found it so i can post my pics.

second, i wasn't that lound.

third, thanks to everyone for the great time. even though it's been said, thanks so much to matt opening his home to us and the wonderful hospitality.

it was a pleasure to meet each and everyone of you.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-29 09:23, hodadhank wrote:
I could have stayed all night dispite a loud, beligerant and shitfaced PDrake.

Sounds like you've never been on Shout! PDrake appears there in that state nightly...
I would have been disappointed if he was any other way than he was that night

Quote:

On 2006-10-30 12:58, pdrake wrote:

i wasn't that lound.

I agree...Everyone else just doesn't know how to party!!!

Nice to meet you Drake. Thanks for not punching me when we met. That meant a lot...

I call this picture "My New Buddy PDrake"

Everybody's Buddy Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 1:43 pm   Permalink

ok, so when's the next one????

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 2:03 pm   Permalink

This was an amazing weekend.

Thank you Ric, Monica and Matt for organizing and hosting the event. Matt's place is gorgeous. The food was excellent.

DawnTiki - Thanks for giving me the courage to participate.

Danny, Bosko, Mason and Ben - Thank you for your patience and encouragement.

Lee - Thanks for the swell swag.

Perry - Thanks for the pendant. Gotta paint him sometime this week.

Thanks to all of the carvers who gave me pointers and just absolutely inspired me.

And a massive THANK YOU to GROG for lugging my tiki up six thousand stairs and getting him into the backseat of my car for me. Thank you also for sharing your portfolio with us. That was one of those little unexpected treats that made the weekend so much more special.

I'd definitely do this again (once I regain the feeling in my wrists.)

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 2:06 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately, the 'Oki 'Oki makes all subsequent parties Grade "B".

That was the first place I've ever been to where you didn't know if the person behind you was carrying a razor sharp spike, a lit blow-torch or a deluxe strength Mai Tai.

Thanks to everybody,
sorry I didn't take pictures,
those tikis were freaking fab,
mahalo to Benz.

HEY, we should have got him and his wife leis! Drat! Next time!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 7:41 pm   Permalink

photos i managed to take . . .

http://www.human2.com/perry/oki.html

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-10-30 7:51 pm   Permalink

GROG knew GROG was going to enjoy this event, but GROG didn't know GROG was going to enjoy it THIS much!!!

Thanks Matt for being such a great host. AWESOME place!
Thanks Moki and Ric for letting GROG and Kirby crash at your amazing pad. It was good company with ya'll along with
Dawn, Greg and Polynesiac.
Great meeting you Benz and Sherry. You are are truly inspiring.
Diablo, Bosko and Mason, you guys did a great job. Always a pleasure seeing you. GROG learned alot from all of the teachers as well as from my fellow carvers.
And speaking of fellow carvers, GROG can't believe you guys-----there was not a single bad tiki carving there. GROG not sure if that's a testament to everybody's skill, or the teachers, but GROG definitely believes itwas abig dose of both.
Thanks Pdrake for the mug and Cammo for the book, and Tiki Lee for the bottle openers.
GROG at work so GROG have to get off the computer, so thanks to everybody who made this such a great event.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation