FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Tiki Art Now 3 Seattle Sept 15 w/ Lushy live
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Art Now 3 Seattle Sept 15 w/ Lushy live
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-30 11:37 pm   Permalink

Roq la Rue Gallery presents
Tiki At Now! volume 3
Curated by Otto von Stroheim of Tiki News magazine

Opening reception: Friday, September 15, 2006, 6 pm - 9 pm
Live set by Lushy from 7 - 7:45
Exhibit shows September 15 - October 9, 2006

2312 Second Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121 •
info@roqlarue.com • 206-374-8977
www.roqlarue.com • Gallery hours: Wed/Thu 1 - 6; Fri 1-7; Sat 1 - 6

Gallery exhibit
On Friday, September 15, 2006 Roq la Rue Gallery & Tiki News unveil the third annual exhibit of new work from the top artists in the Tiki art scene and artists who have been uniquely inspired to create Tiki related works. Otto’s Tiki art shows have become known as the top group shows of Tiki art and the site of this show, Roq la Rue, is one of the most respected galleries presenting art from the Lowbrow scene.
Exhibit features artists from across the US, Canada, Germany and Japan, including: Shag, Lisa Petrucci, Bosko, Tim Biskup, Mr. G, Brian Barneclo. Wayne Coombs, Davey (Dave Wong), Crazy Al Evans, Dawn Frasier, Thorsten Hasenkamm, Munktiki Paul & Stuckie, Tiki Tony, Heather Watts, Derek Yaniger, and Burke Tyree. Highlights of the show include new ceramics by Munktiki, carvings by Old School originator the Florida Style of Tiki carving Wayne Coombs of Mai Tiki, and vintage velvet paintings by the original master Burke Tyree.

Exhibition catalog
All pieces from the exhibit are captured in a full color catalog available opening night. (PDF version or color proof version available upon request)
Published by Slave labor Graphics, the catalog features an introduction by pop culture historian and velvet painting enthusiast Larry Reid, and foreword by Tikimiester Otto von Stroheim, publisher of Tiki News.

You can view Heather Watts paintings in the Crafts forum here

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20459&forum=18&start=last&9

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-31 11:25 pm   Permalink

If you haven't seen it yet, the "virtual unveiling" of my paintings for the show is in the thread Otto mentioned http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20459&forum=18. But the physical unveiling will be so much better! I'll be there of course, and my parents are planning to come down again too, (and this time maybe even Mike, my "fyon-SAY" if he can get the time off work!)

I'm going to have artist statements about the pieces posted soon as well at my website, HeatherWatts.com.

Also go to the bottom of http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20459&forum=18 and see my long post for details on a contest related to an interactive art-piece I'm doing to promote the show. You have to guess what it is before I post it tomorrow night and if you're the first, you win a print of "False Idols", one of my pieces from last year's Tiki Art Now show.

Cheers!
Heather

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-01 09:33 am   Permalink

How the heck i'm i going to get my pieces to Seattle in one piece???? eeeeek! pic to come... look out!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-01 10:31 am   Permalink

I'll be coming into town for this event.
I can't wait to see my favorite Seattle Ohana again, plus everyone that will be there for the show!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-01 2:04 pm   Permalink

WHY WHY WHY do I have to go to a wedding that night???
In Marys-frickin-ville no less.
ARRRRGH
maybe I'll be feeling ill and can't go to the wedding...
Pea

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-02 4:23 pm   Permalink

You'll feel ill by the time you hit Everett's paper mills, anyhow... might as well stick to town!

It's far from a done deal, but I really, really want to make it up for this. It looks like a great show, and besides, I've gotta see the Bellevue Trader Vic's.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-04 01:19 am   Permalink

If you’re coming to Seattle for Tiki Art 3 ~ please send your email to etamburine@yahoo.com. There are plans afoot ~ nothing as organized as a crawl ~ more like a Jet City Junket.

A Seattle Tiki & Fun Stuff Guide, Schedules and Evites will be emailed out as plans come together!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 9:19 pm   Permalink

We'll be there!!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 10:35 pm   Permalink

here be sneak peek at the pieces for Tiki Art III

http://www.tikimania.com/docs/ALshow.html

mid to lower pg

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2006-08-06 22:36 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 11:54 pm   Permalink

That's Crazy!

Al!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 08:38 am   Permalink

Anyone want to pick up a Munktiki Event mug for me. I want a black. Please PM me if you think you can. I have yet to get a person to get me an event mug. Anyone

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-12 11:25 pm   Permalink

Just wanted to add that the following artists will be at the show opening night:
Shag (Orange County)
Davey Wong (San Francisco)
Dawn Frasier (Seattle)
Lisa Petrucci (Seattle)
Heather Watts (Vancouver)

The Shag pieces must be seen in person (I am told by gallery owner Kirsten)
They are five feet tall!

In case any of you have gone to
http://www.roqlarue.com to check out the art, but not gone to http://www.shag.com/ShagAfterDark/TikiArt3.html

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to fix link - 2006-09-12 23:42 ]

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 1:06 pm   Permalink

Anyone. anyone?

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 2:00 pm   Permalink

teaKEY,
I'd git ya one, but I dont' think I'll make it to the gallery
before the show is over.
fooooooey.
sorry!
Pea

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 3:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks anyway Pea

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation