FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Don the Beachcomber -- former San Diego location, San Diego, CA (restaurant)
Don the Beachcomber -- former San Diego location, San Diego, CA (restaurant)
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-31 8:59 pm   Permalink

Name:Don the Beachcomber -- former San Diego location
Type:restaurant
Street:1590 Harbor Island Drive
City:San Diego
State:CA
Zip:92101
Phone:

Description:
I recently came upon an old Don the Beachcomber matchbook that was from its San Diego location. I searched the Net but wasn't able to find out where it was located (there was no address on the matchbook). But thanks to some enterprising librarians at the San Diego Public Library, they undercovered an ad for the place. It was located at 1590 Harbor Island Drive and was part of the Sheraton Hotel. I think Don the Beachcomber was only there a few years in the early '70s. Later it was an El Torito restaurant for quite awhile. Currently the location is being used as a Mediterranean restaurant called Alfiere. Looking around the place there's nothing I could see that would indicate Don had ever been there. It's a shame, but at least it's a mystery solved.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2006-07-31 21:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2006-08-01 08:47 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-01 10:15 am   Permalink

I recently spoke with bartender extraordinare Tony Ramos at Ciudad Restaurant in Los Angeles and he told me he was sent down to San Diego to work at Don the Beachcomber there when it opened. He previously worked at Don the Beachcomber in Hollywood.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 3:36 pm   Permalink

I picked up a copy of "Tiki Road Trip" and noted that the Don the Beachcomber in San Diego is listed as having been at Vacation Road and Ingraham Street. Unless there were two DtBs in San Diego (and I'm pretty certain there weren't) the book is incorrect.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2006-09-01 11:13 pm   Permalink

My postcard from the San Diego Don The Beachcomber lists the address simply as "Harbor Island".

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 12:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-01 15:36, arriano wrote:
Don the Beachcomber in San Diego is listed as having been at Vacation Road and Ingraham Street.

This information came from a vintage postcard.

That said, I have had trouble finding a second source that has coroborrated the info.

Maybe it a was a planned location that never happened?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-01 07:02 am   Permalink

Maybe checking with the San Diego Historical Society would be of help.
http://www.sandiegohistory.org/histsoc.html

Seems like I remember it being on Treasure Island...but then again I can always claim Alzheimers if I'm wrong.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-25 7:15 pm   Permalink

A postcard for the Don the Beachcomber has been posted on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Don-The-Beachcomber-Restaurant-Postcard-Defunct-Vintage_W0QQitemZ130319786037QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e57aa2035&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A2124%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-26 08:26 am   Permalink

Here is that postcard.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation