FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Our Tiki (er tropical) Garden < New Pics page 3>
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Our Tiki (er tropical) Garden < New Pics page 3>
uncrichie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-22 11:29 am   Permalink

Drslingshot, I'm not familiar with palms and banana plants/trees. When you say you bring them inside for the winter do they have to be kept in sunlight or inside just for warmth, is there a dormant season for them?

I'm in SE PA and have seen some sort of tropicals in the area and noticed their abscence in the winter, just curious as to how much maintenance is required during winter. Also do you have to use pesticides on them before bringing them in?

I also see that you have a thatch umbrella. Is that real thatch or the new type made with a poly material. If its the poly material, how do you like it? How is it holding up?

Thanks in advance, Uncrichie...

[ This Message was edited by: uncrichie 2006-09-22 15:27 ]

View Profile of uncrichie Send a personal message to uncrichie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-22 12:51 pm   Permalink

DR , do the elephant palms do well in the palm springs weather, they are so cool! would love to plant some...thanks for any info

Amy

[ This Message was edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2006-09-22 23:56 ]

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-23 09:47 am   Permalink

Nice idea of painting the target tiki!

Are those elephant ear, or taro?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 10:42 pm   Permalink

QK, I have elephant palms in my backyard, I live in the San Fernando Valley and the weather gets pretty hot and dry in the summertime (well over 110 at times). I have them planted in a shady area and I water them on a regular basis and they are doing just fine. I have mine in big pots cause I don't have room for huge plants but you can plant yours in shade in rich soil and they will grow bigger.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 10:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-24 22:42, hiltiki wrote:
QK, I have elephant palms in my backyard, I live in the San Fernando Valley and the weather gets pretty hot and dry in the summertime (well over 110 at times). I have them planted in a shady area and I water them on a regular basis and they are doing just fine. I have mine in big pots cause I don't have room for huge plants but you can plant yours in shade in rich soil and they will grow bigger.

Cool, thanks!!! I will get some and give it a try, they are cool looking

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rodder
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-25 07:24 am   Permalink

I really like your garden it looks fantastic.
I will post a few pics of our garden, but it isn't as nice as yours

View Profile of Tiki Rodder Send a personal message to Tiki Rodder      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rodder
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-25 07:28 am   Permalink

Well this is our garden at the front of the house. I made this a few weeks ago, and next year I will be doing the garden at the back of the house that one is bigger

there is also a picture of my first carved tiki

View Profile of Tiki Rodder Send a personal message to Tiki Rodder      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rodder
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-25 07:31 am   Permalink

The mailbox will be painted with a tiki on it and hibiscus flowers.
And next summer i will fill the garden with Hibiscus flowers and hopefully a palm tree.
only problem is that the climate is not so good here for such plants and trees

karmalaundry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-25 12:34 pm   Permalink

Your backyard is exactly what I eventually want to have, only I'd like to have a saltwater pool, and a bigger waterfall. In a decade or so maybe...

Congrats on a lovely space!

View Profile of karmalaundry Send a personal message to karmalaundry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-26 08:31 am   Permalink

DrSlingshot- your place looks great, and I too wondered about the bananas and everything making it through the winter.
Your cellar (YES, californians, we have CELLARS!...and ATTICS!) must be like ours in the winter; full of dormant plants.

[ This Message was edited by: Kava King 2006-09-26 08:33 ]

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drslingshot
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-27 10:24 am   Permalink

thanks everyone for the compliments. I am sure dreaming of spring and the planting season...

View Profile of drslingshot Send a personal message to drslingshot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drslingshot
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-20 5:10 pm   Permalink

Made some changes to the backyard , these pictures are from 09. Already getting things ready to get the plants back in the ground in a few more weeks! Have a few expansion ideas for this year.

View Profile of drslingshot Send a personal message to drslingshot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-22 09:16 am   Permalink

looking good. We are still at low 30's here and one of the bannana's is starting up already. I'll take that as a good sign just need to make sure it won't freeze! Having to dig up so many plants must make your yard look like a mine field! I make do with the real picky plants in pots ( wal-mart has good prices on them ) and put them in the greenhouse during the winter. A rope light keeps them warm. I'm adding tarro this year so I hope they get to your size!

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-06 09:35 am   Permalink

add on question, do you have some of the bannanas in pots or all inground? been trying to decide wether to plant mine and dig them up every year or just pot them.

[ This Message was edited by: ka'lenatiki 2011-03-06 09:37 ]

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation