FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Tiki room at Young's Cafeteria in Moundsville, W.V.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki room at Young's Cafeteria in Moundsville, W.V.
tikitommy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-02 7:00 pm   Permalink

Hey folks, I went camping last weekend in the panhandle of West Virginia, and I stopped off at the regular half-way point for a bite: Young's Cafeteria in Moundsville, W.V., right on the main drag. For as many times that I have been there, I never, ever saw, or thought there would be, a Tiki room in the back of this establishment. This place is incredible, for it has a number of tikis on the walls, bamboo everywhere, the round hanging, netted lanterns, thatched, individual booths that are cozy and very retro. The place IS authentic retro, for it appears that it is has been that way for quite some time. Who'd a thunk??? At any rate, if I get back, I will snap some photos and post here. If ever passing through this small town, check this place out. I need to check my tiki travel book and see if I missed the listing for this gem.

View Profile of tikitommy Send a personal message to tikitommy  Email tikitommy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-02 9:10 pm   Permalink

This is good news - an actual tiki sighting in West Virginia. According to 'Tiki Road Trip' there was no evidence of any tiki, past or present, in West Virginia....and thus, proof that there is still unknown tiki still waiting to be rediscovered.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 05:15 am   Permalink

What a surprise this is.
I've got a story for this news. (Don't I always?)

My Grandpa was a native of Moundsville. He was on the "Hatfield side" as he used to say and married a pretty little hill girl from the "McCoy side."

Grandpa was a minor league pitcher with a serious arm but could mostly earn money doing masonry.
Grandma ran a restaurant there in Moundsville.

They moved to Canton, Ohio and rasied a family there.
Their oldest son Bill, became the head bartender of the Bali Hai, famous in the day for its dubious Youngstown clientele and occasional visits from members of the Rat Pack.

Grandpa and Grandma eventually moved to Florida since he always loved tropical things and eventually our whole clan moved here as well.

Grandpa passed away about 7 years ago.

A few months ago we were cleaning out his work shed that he never let anyone go into and I found a real tiki treasure.
There were 4-5 ukulele bodies that he had been working on as a hobby. I was astounded. I often wondered if he would get a kick out of hearing me flail out a few Hawai'ian tunes and now I knew he would. I grabbed them of course and resumed his work on them. Before long, I'll have put together a uke or two from those parts.

I'd like to think that one day, I'll strum one of them at this new tiki place in Moundsville and complete the chain and grab some mana.

Mahalo for the news.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 05:15 am   Permalink

I'm going to ask my Grandma if she knows about Young's Cafeteria.
If that's the place they used to run I'll freak out.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus 2006-08-03 05:18 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 06:22 am   Permalink

WOW!! That is great news!! A newly discovered Tiki place!!!!!

Awesome story too Pablus!!! You would make your grandfather proud!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitommy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-03 07:47 am   Permalink

Hiya all, glad to see the responses from you. The story about your family is wonderful...and wouldn't it be something if your grandparents did hang out at Young's? I'm not sure how long the cafeteria has been there, but it is very '70s. I did want to clarify that the Tiki portion of the restaurant is in the back...and it is NOT a bar, for Young's does not serve alcohol. I did remember, and I believe I am correct, that there are faux fish tanks in the walls in each booth with tropical fish inside. Maybe my memory is a little hazy, but my description of the joint in my original post is right on the money. I did check my Tiki Road Trip book last night, and Young's is not listed. Is there an updated version coming out where I can contact the author about submitting pix when I return to Young's? As previously said, Tiki in West Virginia is a rare occurance that would take the skills of X-Files' Scully and Muldaur to figure out the how/why this happened

View Profile of tikitommy Send a personal message to tikitommy  Email tikitommy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 09:41 am   Permalink

Tikibars is the one you want to talk to tikitommy. He be the man!!!

I can't wait to see the pics!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 12:03 pm   Permalink

What a fantastic find! And pablus, I love how you've always got a great companion story queued up. You're going to be Bungy Hedley when you grow up! Storytime with Pablus!

I've added the place to Critiki:

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=571

tikitommy, if you get pictures, I would love it if you would consider submitting them to Critiki!

A quick Google for more details turned up this gallery of pictures from a family's visit to Young's Cafeteria:

http://gallery.hoyhoy.org/20030908_ohio?page=1

They didn't dine in the back room, but luckily, one of the kids was photographed goofing off near the entrance to the back room:

Here's a zoomed-in view of the back room:

Jackpot! Looks like it's got lauhala matting on the walls, and you can see some very nice bamboo poles on the right.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitommy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-03 12:34 pm   Permalink

If I have a chance this weekend, I may stop down, for their homemade pies are worth the hour trip. I promise to takes lotsa pics if no one minds. Wouldn't it be funny if this place ends up being a haunt for retro hipster types passing through? Right now, the very pleasant, simple church going folks who eat here are unaware of the treasure they have nestled in the pandhandle of W.V.

tikitommy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-03 12:50 pm   Permalink

Okay folks, I think you've inspired me to take a half day tomorrow and make the trek to Young's to buy pie and photograph/document West Virginia tiki. If I arrive around 2:00, there should be few people, so I should be free to snap away with my digital. Might even eat my meal under the bamboo. If I indeed go, I will upload the pix this weekend for you all to enjoy on Critiki and here (you can upload photos to this site, right?). Tikitommy.

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 1:08 pm   Permalink

I talked to my Grandma and she didn't remember Young's.

Of course she was there a loooong time ago.
Like, the 1940s.

It was a nice chance to visit with her anyway.

tikitommy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-04 8:47 pm   Permalink

Okay, mission accomplished. Mom, dad and I made the venture to West Virginia. We had a nice lunch, and as they ate their fish, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, I snapped away like a madman. I hope these pix show up successfully. So, here you have it, documented proof of tiki in good'ole West Virginia!!

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-05 02:20 am   Permalink

Those are the same tables they have in the
Aku-Tiki Room in Kewanee, Il! I've got to scan & post the images I have from there, as soon as I have space on my hard drive...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-05 12:59 pm   Permalink

WOW!!!! This is great! Thanks for the archeology tour and pictures tikitommy!! A job well done!! I have a menu from that Aku Room!

Post those pictures!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2006-08-05 13:01 ]

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-05 5:03 pm   Permalink

Nice shots, TT. Thanks.
You get an TC merit badge for Tiki Discovery.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation